Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Players with over priced gamers

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorLoomis View Post
    This isn't player specific, but NFL Auctions prices are absurd. An Eddie Lacy jersey going for $7,000??? That's Jerry Rice type money. A Jason Witten signed ball for $700???? Absolutely ridiculous. People over there are paying 2 and 3 GRAND for star player ISSUED jerseys. Total loons......
    I think people are overpaying since the money is going to be used for good rather than to line the pockets of re-sellers and speculators...

Quote Originally Posted by danesei@yahoo.com View Post
    Pujols' numbers in his first two seasons weren't better than Trout's. Also, Trout's first full season was a year younger than Pujols'.

Beyond that, I think the worst priced gamers have to be minor league hockey. Jerseys will sell for $1000+ for players who are highly unlikely to be future NHL stars.
    Yes thet were.
    I like Trout and believe he is a special talent. But he is not as good of a hitter as Pujols was and never will be. He hit for power this year and look at his average. At least Pujols got some age on him and went through an injury before his batting average fell.

Sure, they were at least as good on a relative basis..but also you are talking about two different types of players, different skill sets, different positions. Speed and defense do play a part during a game, as do hitting first or second in the lineup versus third or fourth.
    And I like Albert as a player, just not a big fan of his attitude off the field and towards fans, where he and Trout are much different.

In short here is my generalization for over priced gamers....

1) ROOKIES --- 80% of them are not going to even be All Stars. It is like the hype of a new player overwhelms logic.

2 NFL Running backs --- I would actually go further and say NFL jerseys in general. NFL fans are not generally into game used as much as baseball fans. NFL thrives on immediate attention and forward momentum with it's product and players. The draft alone is basically it's own season. As soon as a decent player is retied and is not a hall of famer, boom value goes down. But back to my comment on running backs... Short life spam, fantasy football helps spike short term value, but the fall off is fast and there is no minor leagues to work your way back to being a feature back.

A Doug Martin jersey for $2500?
    Yeah... I would be lucky to get $230 my Errict Rhett Bucs gamer from the 1990's.

Buy vintage, buy vintage, buy vintage is the point across most sports. If those numbers quoted on current NFL Auctions are true, then that is unreal.
    And to answer the original post, I consider overpriced anything that I get outbid on at auction or can't afford, though that is just when I am carrying around sour grapes.

Quote Originally Posted by gorilla777 View Post
    Sure, they were at least as good on a relative basis..but also you are talking about two different types of players, different skill sets, different positions. Speed and defense do play a part during a game, as do hitting first or second in the lineup versus third or fourth.
    And I like Albert as a player, just not a big fan of his attitude off the field and towards fans, where he and Trout are much different.
    Really? That is very generious of you. I am sure Pujols is appreciative.

First 3 seasons
    Pujols
    1. .329, 37 hr, 130 RBI
    2. .314, 34 hr, 127 RBI
    3. .359, 43 hr, 124 RBI

Trout
    1. .326, 30 hr, 83 RBI
    2. .323, 27 hr, 97 RBI
    3. .287, 36 hr, 111 RBI

Really? Thanks for your reply. We were talking about first two seasons. And I said relative, so you again are not counting speed and defense. And first baseman versus centerfield are different positions. You are counting three stats, well done. It's not over the line softball at the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by gorilla777 View Post
    Really? Thanks for your reply. We were talking about first two seasons. And I said relative, so you again are not counting speed and defense. And first baseman versus centerfield are different positions. You are counting three stats, well done. It's not over the line softball at the beach.
    Were were actually talking about the first 3 seasons. I thought your reply about 2 was just a typo.
    You can find it in the thread that I brought up 3 not 2.

Anyway, it's baseball. Everyone is not supposed to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    Really? That is very generious of you. I am sure Pujols is appreciative.

First 3 seasons
    Pujols
    1. .329, 37 hr, 130 RBI
    2. .314, 34 hr, 127 RBI
    3. .359, 43 hr, 124 RBI

Trout
    1. .326, 30 hr, 83 RBI
    2. .323, 27 hr, 97 RBI
    3. .287, 36 hr, 111 RBI
    You also have to consider the different eras as well. In 2001, 46 players hit .300 or over and 40 players hit 30 or more homers. In 2014, only 17 hit .300 and 11 hit 30 homers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubsfan4life View Post
    You also have to consider the different eras as well. In 2001, 46 players hit .300 or over and 40 players hit 30 or more homers. In 2014, only 17 hit .300 and 11 hit 30 homers.
    Oh, I considered the era. Pujols was hitting against steroid freaks.