Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Re: Players with over priced gamers

Quote Originally Posted by jake33 View Post
    In short here is my generalization for over priced gamers....

1) ROOKIES --- 80% of them are not going to even be All Stars. It is like the hype of a new player overwhelms logic.

2 NFL Running backs --- I would actually go further and say NFL jerseys in general. NFL fans are not generally into game used as much as baseball fans. NFL thrives on immediate attention and forward momentum with it's product and players. The draft alone is basically it's own season. As soon as a decent player is retied and is not a hall of famer, boom value goes down. But back to my comment on running backs... Short life spam, fantasy football helps spike short term value, but the fall off is fast and there is no minor leagues to work your way back to being a feature back.

A Doug Martin jersey for $2500?
    Yeah... I would be lucky to get $230 my Errict Rhett Bucs gamer from the 1990's.
    +1

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange

Quote Originally Posted by Jags Fan Dan View Post
    Current NFL stars. The stuff of many current players sells for more than HOFers stuff.
    In a way, this makes sense to me.

The top QBs/RBs in today's game are having their equipment essentially confiscated from them for sale on the secondary market. In those cases that they keep their equipment, it's released to the secondary market with an understanding that it has a value. Additionally, fans who aren't necessarily collectors, may drive the prices higher, since they see their heroes play.

The positive result of this is nearly impeccable provenance. The negative result is higher starting prices.

That said, if you have a game used jersey or helmet from Dan Fouts, Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Joe Namath, Johnny Unitas, Walter Payton, Red Grange etc, that have similar provenance (authentication directly from the player or club, as opposed to an equipment manager's assistant 40 years ago who found the helmet in the locker room after the season), you would expect to see five-figure prices at auction.

Heck, I would wager that if someone had a way to have a player authenticated (letter of provenance signed by the player who wore the item) rookie jersey of Namath or Unitas, you could even see six-figure prices.

Banned

Hi forum,

I'm new here and this is my first post. My pick would be Madison Bumgarner. I am a Giants fan and I have no idea if you guys have seen what's happened to his items since this last world series, but his stuff is almost untouchable now.

Please don't get me wrong, I love MadBum. But as a fan, I won't be able to buy his stuff because of the high prices current stars go for.

If you want an example, check this out:

http://auctions.mlb.com/iSynApp/auct...st1=giants&&qt[0].type=fieldmatch&qt[0].name=panname_teamname_s&qt[0].value1=giants

At time of this posting, there are two days to go in this auction. The jersey has 55 bids and sits at $13,510. If I bought that for myself for Christmas, my wife would file for immediate divorce!

I look forward to participating on this forum and sharing stories. Thanks and Happy Holidays everyone.

Dave Fall

Quote Originally Posted by BaseballNutz View Post
    Hi forum,

I'm new here and this is my first post. My pick would be Madison Bumgarner. I am a Giants fan and I have no idea if you guys have seen what's happened to his items since this last world series, but his stuff is almost untouchable now.

Please don't get me wrong, I love MadBum. But as a fan, I won't be able to buy his stuff because of the high prices current stars go for.

If you want an example, check this out:

http://auctions.mlb.com/iSynApp/auct...st1=giants&&qt[0].type=fieldmatch&qt[0].name=panname_teamname_s&qt[0].value1=giants

At time of this posting, there are two days to go in this auction. The jersey has 55 bids and sits at $13,510. If I bought that for myself for Christmas, my wife would file for immediate divorce!

I look forward to participating on this forum and sharing stories. Thanks and Happy Holidays everyone.

Dave Fall
    Welcome to the forum Dave. While I agree the current price for the Bumgarner jersey is very pricey, I also feel it's hard to put a value on such a unique gamer. World Series Game 1 jersey worn by the winning pitcher who also went on to win the WS MVP, a true 1 of 1. I can stomach this price more than I can stomach someone paying a 1K for a Javy Baez gamer. Don't get me wrong I hope his gamers turn out to be this valuable and then some. Anyways, welcome aboard!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigley2010 View Post
    Welcome to the forum Dave. While I agree the current price for the Bumgarner jersey is very pricey, I also feel it's hard to put a value on such a unique gamer. World Series Game 1 jersey worn by the winning pitcher who also went on to win the WS MVP, a true 1 of 1. I can stomach this price more than I can stomach someone paying a 1K for a Javy Baez gamer. Don't get me wrong I hope his gamers turn out to be this valuable and then some. Anyways, welcome aboard!
    Thanks Wrigley2010,

I hear you and that's what makes it so painful. He's already viewed as one of the games best post-season players ever, surpassing Christy Mathewson in categories many felt would never be matched.

With 2:45 (hours) to go, the jersey has breached the $19,000 level. That's simply amazing for a current day 25 year old.

Dave

Banned

MadBum's jersey went for $20,810. I'm jealous of the winner. That's a super nice World Series piece at any price from a pitcher who has elevated himself to mythical Greek God status in the postseason.

Dave

Im going with my guy Jose Abreu. He was pretty amazing this year but the fact that he is 27 he will more than likely not be breaking any all time records. His stuff isnt out there yet but the jerseys on mlb auctions went for over 7K as did the bats. On ebay there are a couple of bats one was at 7K and the other is over 3K. Hes an awesome hitter but 1 year doesnt justify those prices.

Quote Originally Posted by helf35 View Post
    Im going with my guy Jose Abreu. He was pretty amazing this year but the fact that he is 27 he will more than likely not be breaking any all time records. His stuff isnt out there yet but the jerseys on mlb auctions went for over 7K as did the bats. On ebay there are a couple of bats one was at 7K and the other is over 3K. Hes an awesome hitter but 1 year doesnt justify those prices.
    Yep, that is a good example. Wouldn't 7k get you a Pete Rose game used bat?

I'm a huge Derek Jeter fan, but I can't believe his last MLB out baseball sold for $24,000 on MLB auctions.

I agree with Jeter. I can't believe the cost of his autograph through Steiner. I don't understand why the price is so high and there is a lot signed by him on the market. I imagine the price will come down as people lose interest in him and the demand goes down.