Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: I would have taken the $20k...

I think if Seattle wins the Super Bowl, then that's a great ball. If not, not so much.
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

The statements dis'ing what the Seahawks did are just plain ridiculous.

Regarding the ball's value, $10,000+ easy. It's arguable the most important play in Seattle history, so there will be a huge market for it. Given that the kid is unemployed and heading for jail, yes - sell it. If I had caught it, I would not be selling it, even for $20,000. If you don't need the money, and something's important to you, keep it. Could be there's a day when you are ready to do something philanthropic - can you imagine what a ball like that would bring at the right charity auction, in Seattle?

Quote Originally Posted by BVC View Post
    It's arguable the most important play in Seattle history, so there will be a huge market for it.
    I agree, but only in Seattle.
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Quote Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
    I think if Seattle wins the Super Bowl, then that's a great ball. If not, not so much.
    And not taking anything away from what Seattle did. That was one of the greatest comebacks to win a game!!!
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Legacies...

The closest parallel of the ball *might* be "The Catch" by Dwight Clark. It's not entirely the same, as that preceded their first victory, but it's the closest reasonable comparison.

Also, from what I've been seeing reported, the fan intends to return the ball to Kearse, which is why he wouldn't take the $20k (or any amount, supposedly). Now, I want the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to offer $700k and see if the young man still refuses to sell.

In other news about footballs...

With the Patriots supposedly on the hook for under-inflated footballs in the AFC title game, what does this do for legacy? Does Brady now get deemed a cheater, along with Belichick?

Also, with the penalty for a single infraction at $25k, would each of the 11 balls be counted as a separate infraction? Is there an escalator for penalties?

I understand that the NFL doesn't really vacate titles (unlike the NCAA), but there are two weeks before the SB. Couldn't the NFL simply say the Patriots were caught cheating in the AFC Title game, so they lose the game? I understand that's a high-leverage penalty, but Belichick has made it clear that he doesn't care about rules. If not for a forfeit-type penalty, the only way I see this working is:

$275k fine ($25k*11) & all SB/AFC title revenue forfeited to the NFL to be used to help with the huge legal battle ahead re: concussed players (which, I also don't entirely agree is the NFL's fault, but that's a discussion I don't really care to go into).

Belichick banned from holding any position within the league. This would be akin to Rose's ban from MLB.

Patriots forfeit first & second round picks from 2015-2020. If the Patriots should have a top-10 selection in any year, they shall also forfeit their third round pick. The Patriots shall be banned from trading for any selections in the first 100 picks of any draft from 2015-2020.

Yes, all of that seems severe, but I really think anything less will simply be laughed at by the Patriots organization.

The guy ended up trading it for Kearse s jersey he wore in the game. Kearse was also fined 5 grand for throwing the ball into the stands.

Re: Legacies...

Quote Originally Posted by danesei@yahoo.com View Post
    The closest parallel of the ball *might* be "The Catch" by Dwight Clark. It's not entirely the same, as that preceded their first victory, but it's the closest reasonable comparison.

Also, from what I've been seeing reported, the fan intends to return the ball to Kearse, which is why he wouldn't take the $20k (or any amount, supposedly). Now, I want the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to offer $700k and see if the young man still refuses to sell.

In other news about footballs...

With the Patriots supposedly on the hook for under-inflated footballs in the AFC title game, what does this do for legacy? Does Brady now get deemed a cheater, along with Belichick?

Also, with the penalty for a single infraction at $25k, would each of the 11 balls be counted as a separate infraction? Is there an escalator for penalties?

I understand that the NFL doesn't really vacate titles (unlike the NCAA), but there are two weeks before the SB. Couldn't the NFL simply say the Patriots were caught cheating in the AFC Title game, so they lose the game? I understand that's a high-leverage penalty, but Belichick has made it clear that he doesn't care about rules. If not for a forfeit-type penalty, the only way I see this working is:

$275k fine ($25k*11) & all SB/AFC title revenue forfeited to the NFL to be used to help with the huge legal battle ahead re: concussed players (which, I also don't entirely agree is the NFL's fault, but that's a discussion I don't really care to go into).

Belichick banned from holding any position within the league. This would be akin to Rose's ban from MLB.

Patriots forfeit first & second round picks from 2015-2020. If the Patriots should have a top-10 selection in any year, they shall also forfeit their third round pick. The Patriots shall be banned from trading for any selections in the first 100 picks of any draft from 2015-2020.

Yes, all of that seems severe, but I really think anything less will simply be laughed at by the Patriots organization.
    The balls were deflated great...but did they get deflated before or after the Refs checked them? Because if the Refs allowed them I don't see how you blame the Patriots for it. It is the Refs responsibility to check the balls.

Now if somehow these balls were deflated after the inspection I have seen enough of Belichick. He would go down as another guy who could have been great, but instead cheated multiple times to taint his career.

Re: Legacies...

Quote Originally Posted by johnsontravis@ymail.com View Post
    The balls were deflated great...but did they get deflated before or after the Refs checked them? Because if the Refs allowed them I don't see how you blame the Patriots for it. It is the Refs responsibility to check the balls.

Now if somehow these balls were deflated after the inspection I have seen enough of Belichick. He would go down as another guy who could have been great, but instead cheated multiple times to taint his career.
    According to the NFL investigation so far, the balls were within standard to during the pre-game check by the referees. That said, somehow the first half balls were deemed underinflated, but the second half balls were found to be within standard. Does this mean each half uses a different batch or the balls were reinflated prior to the second half?

Banned

Thumbs up Re: I would have taken the $20k...

After the conference championships, I initially declared that I would take a pass on the Super Bowl due to both teams being from blue states. After this, I have taken a mulligan and have decided to pull for the Seahawks. The team may be from one of the furthest left-wing cities in the nation, but at least they don't cheat!

Dave Miedema

Interesting story...

I don't usually let random politics interfere with which sports team I enjoy or don't. I just can't imagine not collecting or only collecting based on the surroundings of the political minds in the city the team I like is based in or not in.

But every collector collects what they like for the reasons they like--I just hadn't thought about politics being involved in worth/value before. I always thought Chicago was a blue region, but perhaps I am misinformed.

Good luck to both teams in the Super Bowl.