Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Rarest...most photomatched Ken Griffey Jr. Rookie bat!?!

Ok, no problem. Just wanted to show that Griffey Jr. had Cooper C271 bats with no Jr. behind the name, IF I was seeing correctly.

When one looks at the photomatches I have provided of Griffey Jr. holding the bat in Seattle Mariners uniform "major leagues" and COA states year 1989 for ordering records that is more proof this is not a minor league bat. I wish I knew the date of the photo shoot for the mothers 1989 cards? I have tried finding contact info. For Barry Colla the photographer to see if he has records/date. If anyone has his contact info. Please let me know.

Since when does anybody have ordering records for Cooper bats?

I'm done "defending" this bat the photomatches speak for themselves!!! I appreciate everyone's feedback. This is a find of a century for me considering I only collect Jr. items and this is only the third GU bat I own. I wish everyone their find of the century. Good luck and happy collecting.

Congrats on your find of the century. Mine was 1986 Larry Bird Finals shoes. It's pretty incredible when it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by DTM5 View Post
    I'm done "defending" this bat the photomatches speak for themselves!!! I appreciate everyone's feedback. This is a find of a century for me considering I only collect Jr. items and this is only the third GU bat I own. I wish everyone their find of the century. Good luck and happy collecting.

Its a great bat. Its photomatched to staged photography. Clearly for it to be super valuable/rare you would need to match to game action. Dont be insulted as its how the hobby works. Also does it show any ball marks?

Quote Originally Posted by seanbaseball View Post
    Its a great bat. Its photomatched to staged photography. Clearly for it to be super valuable/rare you would need to match to game action. Dont be insulted as its how the hobby works. Also does it show any ball marks?
    I think this comment is pretty much right on the mark. You have a bat that Ken Griffey Jr. is holding in a baseball card that looks photo matched to your bat. That in itself is pretty cool! However, it could be a GU or BP bat. One will never know for sure until photo matched to game action (which is difficult to do for that time period as game video is hard to find, and if found, video is not of great quality). If one is looking for other collector’s validation of their item, then one would have to expect to receive many differences of opinion. As previously stated, “Don’t be insulted, as its how the hobby works.” I know from personal experience. Many forget that LOA’s are opinions, not facts, unless also photo matched. Many items that have been authenticated by top authenticator’s in the hobby, and even the players themselves, have later been proven not be authentic as game used. Bottom line, if you’re comfortable with the bat, then that’s what should be important to you. It's a great find and pretty cool bat!
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Thank you again for feedback. I guess I am confused by the fact that many GU bats are sold privately and at auction without photomatching at all and solely by the COA stating it is GU and collectors accept that???? Very contradicting of the hobby if you ask me. Either way I don't think there are many, if any collectors that can say they have a bat photomatched to two rookie cards, card sets, and postcards by a famous sports photographer. Many of you probably own or have owned these items and might be in your drawer as we speak. The fact that anyone can look up these rookie cards and postcards online, in a card shop, and and see my bat his pretty remarkable!

Quote Originally Posted by DTM5 View Post
    Thank you again for feedback. I guess I am confused by the fact that many GU bats are sold privately and at auction without photomatching at all and solely by the COA stating it is GU and collectors accept that???? Very contradicting of the hobby if you ask me.
    Yes, this hobby can be frustrating and confusing at times. Because so many items have been later found not to be authentic, LOA or no LOA, collectors are more cautious today and do their own homework. Again, cool bat!
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Quote Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
    As previously stated, “Don’t be insulted, as its how the hobby works.” I know from personal experience. Many forget that LOA’s are opinions, not facts, unless also photo matched. Many items that have been authenticated by top authenticator’s in the hobby, and even the players themselves, have later been proven not be authentic as game used. Bottom line, if you’re comfortable with the bat, then that’s what should be important to you. It's a great find and pretty cool bat!
    Good post and I've bolded what I think is the most important part. I liken some of this to doing your own home/car/etc repairs. Some folks enjoy that process, other prefer to have someone else do it that has perceived expertise in a given area. I'm terrible at home repair and do not enjoy it at all, but I did spend a few days last week pinpointing a shipment order date for a $250 bat.

In the end, what matters most is that you, the owner are happy with the item. Whether that means through your own varied level of research, having a service provide their packet of evidence or having someone on a message board say they think it's fine on an 8x10 piece of paper. Everyone is different, as long as you are happy, that should be the goal.