Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: I will NEVER buy from American Memorabilia after seeing this...

Actually my first thought when "CollectGU" bought that obvious fake Ripken glove on eBay was how disappointed Kieta was going to be not being able to do a picture shoot with it.....

Quote Originally Posted by CollectGU View Post
    Eric,

I see no upside at all. Only downside as this thread clearly proves. I'm simply stating that to sat they are compromised is very strong wording. That means every time any game used equipment is tried on by someone other than the player it is compromised? Is it a stupid business idea by AMI? yes. Does it make the piece any less authentic? No (in my opinion). I've carefully tried on jerseys that I've bought of players, as have some of my friends. Did I compromise the item? In my opinion, No..

Regards,
    Dave
    It has nothing to do with the authenticity and everything to do with the condition being compromised. It's one thing for, say, a wool jersey to be stored for 50+ years and be partially eaten by moths. At least then it can be said that an item was unintentionally improperly stored.

But in this case, you're talking about basically a fashion shoot with valuable items from sports history being modeled. Why stop at putting a jersey on? Why not pop a football helmet on and play some two-hand tag? Maybe put a Nettles jersey on for a company softball game?

There's unintentional damage and there's intentional compromising. This definitely falls into the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    Actually my first thought when "CollectGU" bought that obvious fake Ripken glove on eBay was how disappointed Kieta was going to be not being able to do a picture shoot with it.....
    I'm curious, tell me how you were able to determine that the glove is obviously a fake? What exactly is wrong with it in your opinion? I will add that no Rawlings employee has stated that the glove had the wrong lining as was reported here earlier..

Regards,
    Dave

Talking Re: I will NEVER buy from American Memorabilia after seeing this...

I just received the magazine/catalog the other day in the mail and could not agree more with what everyone thinks about the marketing being ridiculous for them. Has anyone contacted American Memorabilia to let them know that as a present or future customer that this is not something that wants to be seen??? Just wondering what they have to say about the matter.

And Lampson is a writer as well as an expert authenticator??? HA! who knew!?!?

Michael

Banned

I can’t remember ever seeing such amateurish and ill-conceived antics in another sports memorabilia auction catalog. I’ve received catalogs from Lelands, Grey Flannel, Christies, Sotheby’s and Mastro to name just a few. I can’t remember the last time I saw models shooting hoops or even wearing vintage uniforms in any other auction houses’ catalog. It’s inconceivable to even think that you may see some guy or model wearing a Babe Ruth jersey and shooting hoops in the next Christies catalog.

Likewise, I’ve never been subjected to viewing pages from any of the above-mentioned auction houses of the owners self-promoting themselves, let alone in extremely “creepy” motifs. The first AMI catalog had a photo of Vic and Kieta sitting on a couch. My co-worker happened to see the photo and asked if the guy (Vic) was the little boy in the Munsters, now grown up!

Likewise, I’d be interested to know why Kieta needs to be featured in these catalogs in belly shirts and including past cover shots of her from 1980’s playboy covers? I understand she was a model in the 1980’s, but this is 2007.

Can we expect to possibly see Lou Lampson and the 100% Authentic team modeling in the next catalog?

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

There's only one word for the whole approach AMI takes in my opinion

Unprofessional

Perhaps they are compensating for something.

-David

Banned

And your Buyers Premium and Consignment commissions pay for this "magazine".
    Sarahsdad

By the way, hats off to whomever did the editing of this catalog. A terrific job!

A few responses to other posts:

Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf View Post
    The first AMI catalog had a photo of Vic and Kieta sitting on a couch. My co-worker happened to see the photo and asked if the guy (Vic) was the little boy in the Munsters, now grown up!
    Howard, this is too funny. Too much for a Sunday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    Perhaps they are compensating for something.
    David, one has to wonder. I think you may have hit the nail on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahsdad View Post
    And your Buyers Premium and Consignment commissions pay for this "magazine".
    Sarahsdad
    Solid point. How much could buyers and sellers save if their money was not being spent on this nonsense?
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by CollectGU View Post
    I'm curious, tell me how you were able to determine that the glove is obviously a fake? What exactly is wrong with it in your opinion? I will add that no Rawlings employee has stated that the glove had the wrong lining as was reported here earlier..

Regards,
    Dave
    Dave,

Below is a quote by Rob Steinmetz (from the original thread about your Ripken glove: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ead.php?t=8394). I'm trying to balance Rob's statements in that thread and your statement here that "no Rawlings employee has stated that the glove had the wrong lining as was reported here earlier."

Any help?

Thanks,

Reid

Quote Originally Posted by RobSteinmetz View Post
    It is my understanding that the glove purchased on eBay by Dave O'Brien was recently rejected by Dennis Esken. Apparently the glove has the wrong lining...information that was confirmed with the Rawlings employee who actually made gloves for Cal Ripken, Jr. I'm not sure if Dave was able to get a refund on the glove from the eBay seller, but hopefully the glove isn't sold to another unsuspecting collector as a Ripken gamer.

Rob
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

When I see someone wear a game used jersey it just makes me sick.When I was at the Orioles Fanfest this year I saw people buying the Gamers then wearing them the rest of the day.I just don't understand it don'these people know better.

My friend wanted to buy a Orioles game used jersey from me to wear to games this year and I told him I would not sell him one because u just don't do that and he did not understand why.