Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Am I bad person for...

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
    I guess it might depend on how exactly the sale went down. If they had a price and you paid it, then I don't see a real problem with it.

Let's say someone has a game worn item that I'm interested in. If I plead with them to lower the price, tell them it's my favorite player, I can only go so high, sob story, etc...only to try and flip the piece for more at some point in the not too distant future, then I think I come off looking bad.

I AGEE WITH OTIS. IF YOU PAID ASKING PRICE OR JUST MADE AN OFFER, THEN THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH SELLING IT.

Okay, some guy posted that he needed to sell his Portis jersey. He started at $1,000, dropped to $900 and then went to $500 within 10 minutes. I jumped on it at $500. He was a young guy and I'm guessing he wanted the money to go out with his friends... in other words, he didn't NEED the money.

I listed it for $1,000 on e-bay and said it was originally purchased for $1800 which is what the original owner bought it for. They are all over me. I was upset at first, but now I've just decided to reply to their posts with pictures of kids crying.

Quote Originally Posted by toddhead View Post
    Okay, some guy posted that he needed to sell his Portis jersey. He started at $1,000, dropped to $900 and then went to $500 within 10 minutes. I jumped on it at $500. He was a young guy and I'm guessing he wanted the money to go out with his friends... in other words, he didn't NEED the money.

I listed it for $1,000 on e-bay and said it was originally purchased for $1800 which is what the original owner bought it for. They are all over me. I was upset at first, but now I've just decided to reply to their posts with pictures of kids crying.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Clinton-Portis-G...QQcmdZViewItem

I found the link to your auction. I can see why you are getting grief from the other forum members. The way you worded the description it seems
    that you purchased the jersey orginally for 1800 not the orginal owner.

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post

I found the link to your auction. I can see why you are getting grief from the other forum members. The way you worded the description it seems
    Not that there's anything wrong with that but it 's just that the forum members were privy to the initial transaction and knew what you paid for it. To the outsider whether you or the original owner paid 1800 for it should be irrelevant.

They orginally started giving me crap for the price, but the real sore spot with them seems to be the fact that I am selling it at all. I'm not a true Portis or Redskins fan if I sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post

I have to disagree. It says "was originally purchased for $1800.00." It diesnt say "I originally paid $1800 for this jersey and need to sell it so I'm willing to take a loss". It simply says that someone paid $1800 for it once.

Sell to the highest bidder and make your money my friend.

Jim

If you bought the jersey from somebody selling it and they agreed to sell it to you, who gives a bleep if you then want to unload it later for more money? Sounds like sour grapes to me.

The only way I could see somebody having trouble with this is if (like someone earlier posted), you begged them down in price with a sob story, or if the jersey wasn't for sale and you badgered someone into selling it. If you did either of those and then just went to flip it, that would be something you might deservedly get grief for. But it sounds like you acquired it thinking you would keep it, but something came up and you need to sell it. In that case, you shouldn't worry what anyone thinks of your asking price.

Pro Sports Investments

*cringe*

98% feedback rating

*cringe*

Quote Originally Posted by toddhead View Post
    I was upset at first, but now I've just decided to reply to their posts with pictures of kids crying.
    Toddhead,

My suggestion is to just not reply and let their anger blow over. Why start a conversation if they are upset and see the transaction differently then you do. When I first joined this site GUU I told the story of purchasing a jersey for $10 and then selling it for $2000. Yes, jokingly, in the story I did mention that I tried to haggle the price down to $5 but the seller would not budge. I caught some grief from quite a few members about this. I told my side (that I knew that it was a game worn jersey but not until I got home and did some research did I know that the jersey was Keith Hernnadez) and then i just dropped it........wait here I am retelling and defending myself again.......you're right blast them and go on the attack and don't listen to anyone.

Richard

Toddhead,

Also I often buy things that I can turn for a profit and that allows me to use that money to buy the things I wish to collect. Also, my tastes have changed on and off over the years from baseball cards, graded baseball cards, game worn jerseys, game used bats, etc. and each time I concentrate on a particular interest I may sell off items from another part of my collection. Things change and peoples situations change so no one should be upset at you. THEY SHOULD BE EXCITED THAT THE JERSEY MAY END UP IN A PESONS COLLECTION THAT MAY NOT RESELL IT.

Richard