Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Why does this Packers jersey have custom tags from L.A.?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-86-Green...QQcmdZViewItem
    Not at all am I doubting this shirt's authenticity. Looks nice. The Sand Knit tags appear to be from the late 60s-early 70s. Beautiful durene. But why in the world would there be custom tags from a Los Angeles distributor (Frederick's of Culver City)? Was there a movie from this era that featured the Packers. Any scenes from the "Paper Lion" against the Pack? Too late to be from SB I (played in L.A.). What does this Green Bay jersey have to do with Los Angeles? Any guesses are appreciated!

Re: Why does this Packers jersey have custom tags from L.A.?

Hello....BTPH....I am the one selling this jersey on Ebay and that tagging has become a mystery. I initally had the same thoughts as you and saw this listing on the MEARS website...

http://www.mearsonline.com/forsale/item/?id=305

Believe it or not, Lou Lampson caught the fact that this jersey could not be from the late 1960's, due to the fact that the jersey has tag which state the Packers are in the National Football Conference (NFC), which was formulated after the merger of the AFL-NFL in 1970. Which is why I listed the jersey as a c. 1970 jersey. Also, I have spoken with Troy from MEARS and they are attemepting to contact the purchaser of the Packers jersey they sold and inform them of the mis-information on their original COA. Hope this helps....

Hey Beantown,

A few months ago you posted some nice pics of jerseys from the football hall of fame. They are not coming up at this time-could you repost some please? Especially the one of the Charley Taylor jersey?

Thanks,

Jim

jdr3...here you go...also some Packers photos from the HOF, for a comparison to the one I have on Ebay now....
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by beantown View Post
    Hello....BTPH....I am the one selling this jersey on Ebay and that tagging has become a mystery. I initally had the same thoughts as you and saw this listing on the MEARS website...

http://www.mearsonline.com/forsale/item/?id=305

Believe it or not, Lou Lampson caught the fact that this jersey could not be from the late 1960's, due to the fact that the jersey has tag which state the Packers are in the National Football Conference (NFC), which was formulated after the merger of the AFL-NFL in 1970. Which is why I listed the jersey as a c. 1970 jersey. Also, I have spoken with Troy from MEARS and they are attemepting to contact the purchaser of the Packers jersey they sold and inform them of the mis-information on their original COA. Hope this helps....
    Thanks for the information, but it doesn't help. The MEARS information is wrong. "Frederick's of Hollywood"? Fredericks in Culver is something different. Frederick (Hollywood) is a first name. They don't never, haven't, won't, will not ever, ever, ever sell, customize or distribute football jerseys.
    William Fredericks( Culver City) was a long-time Los Angeles sporting goods dealer. If an "authenticator" is going to make this blatant and laughable an error; then I will consider ALL of the surrounding data as bumpkus.
    Beantown
    Your jersey is nice. I still would like to know why the Packers would need a West Coast distributor? The MEARS example adds credence to your shirt...but "Frederick's of Hollywood"? Yes, I will spare readers any photo-shop creation.
    Yes the NFC, puts it at no later than 1970. Well after, any GB early SB appearances. Just very curious. "West coast distributor" DOES NOT cut it for me. Was there a movie with the Packers from this era?

BTPH...I don't have any answers as to why the Fredericks tag is on the jersey...pure speculation, but is it possible the jersey is a carry over from the 1960's and later Sand Knit tags were added by the Packers to have uniformity with the new style tags after the AFL-NFL merger???

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-86-Green...QQcmdZViewItem
    Not at all am I doubting this shirt's authenticity. Looks nice. The Sand Knit tags appear to be from the late 60s-early 70s. Beautiful durene. But why in the world would there be custom tags from a Los Angeles distributor (Frederick's of Culver City)? Was there a movie from this era that featured the Packers. Any scenes from the "Paper Lion" against the Pack? Too late to be from SB I (played in L.A.). What does this Green Bay jersey have to do with Los Angeles? Any guesses are appreciated!
    BTPH, Was 1970 the first year all of the NFL teams started wearing names on the back of their jerseys?

And, the first thing that caught my eye was the little white tag in the collar. I checked my vintage Sand-knit jerseys and none of them have that tiny flag tag denoting the size of the jersey. You probably have owned and seen way more Sand-knit jerseys that I but let me ask you, do any of your Sand-knit jerseys have a similar tag?

Jim

Beantown
    I know a couple of Packers collectors who have contacted you about the jersey....they STILL want it! They should...it is an absolute football relic! I was just curious as to why a jersey would go from Wisconsin to California back to Wisconsin? I feel MEARS' example of a road white helps your cause. C'mon... Frederick's of Hollywood...a jersey distributor? That's comedy with comic value. Its a mistake...but it is bad form to assume.
    I hope you make a grip on this jersey. It's super nice and I would bid if I could afford it.
    Frederick's sells drawers and Fredericks used to sell sporting goods.

Back to the original question:
    Why would the Packers use a L.A. distributor in 1970?

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker View Post
    BTPH, Was 1970 the first year all of the NFL teams started wearing names on the back of their jerseys?

And, the first thing that caught my eye was the little white tag in the collar. I checked my vintage Sand-knit jerseys and none of them have that tiny flag tag denoting the size of the jersey. You probably have owned and seen way more Sand-knit jerseys that I but let me ask you, do any of your Sand-knit jerseys have a similar tag?

Jim
    I have seen the small size flag tag in 60s-70s-80s Packers jerseys. So, that is right on. Some teams added NOBs in 1970, not sure about the Packers.