Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Why does this Packers jersey have custom tags from L.A.?

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    Beantown
    I know a couple of Packers collectors who have contacted you about the jersey....they STILL want it! They should...it is an absolute football relic! I was just curious as to why a jersey would go from Wisconsin to California back to Wisconsin? I feel MEARS' example of a road white helps your cause. C'mon... Frederick's of Hollywood...a jersey distributor? That's comedy with comic value. Its a mistake...but it is bad form to assume.
    I hope you make a grip on this jersey. It's super nice and I would bid if I could afford it.
    Frederick's sells drawers and Fredericks used to sell sporting goods.

Back to the original question:
    Why would the Packers use a L.A. distributor in 1970?
    BTPH....you bring up a lot of good points/questions...I simply dont have any answers....who know's what happened 35+ years ago...I hope this jersey ends up in the hands of a serious Packers collector as that's where this belongs. Who has access to the MEARS website, where they broke down the history of the Packers uniform? Maybe that can help?

BTPH,
    That information is very educational and helpful in clarifying the difference between Fredericks Sporting Goods and Frederick's of Hollywood. Thanks so much. From the tagging, the jersey appears to be circa 1970 to 1972 based on the following:
    1. Before 1970, the small Sand Knit "medal" logo had a black ball with the top part of the metal being gold. The number of the size was gold stitching, and there were 3 lines of laundry instructions that were underlined. See first photo below of pre-1970 white Detroit Lions durene jersey.
    2. Somewhere around 1970 or 1971, they reversed the thread color on the medal (gold ball with the top part of the medal being black) and the number of the size was changed to black stitching. See second photo of early 1970s purple Minnesota Vikings durene jersey (note that there is no "exclusive" tag) and third photo of a circa 1972/73 blue Detroit Lions durene jersey (example of tagging on jerseys with crotchpiece).
    3. Circa 1972 or 1973, the tagging changed again. There were now 4 lines of laundry instructions that were no longer underlined. See fourth photo of 1973/1974 blue Detroit Lions durene jersey.

beantown,
    I have never seen an example of teams inserting tags back in that era. Not to say that it is not possible, but it would be surprising as things were a lot diferent back then. Of the durene jerseys in my collection and the ones I have seen over the years, the only alterations I have observed on 1960s Sand Knit durene jerseys that were recycled for use in the nameplate era was the slight lowering of the back numbers to make room for the nameplate.

Jim,
    I am assuming that the Charley Taylor jersey is from his last years in DC. I seem to recall the 'Skins switching to this particular number style around 1976 (Taylor was injured in their first preseason game that year at Atlanta and missed the season), and then he played one more year (1977) before retiring. Please let me know if you have ever seen a 1976 or 1977 Washington jersey with:
    1. This particular style of Sand Knit tagging.
    2. Name screened directly on the back of the jersey.

Thanks!

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net
    Attached Images Attached Images     

P.S. All NFC teams added name-on-back in 1970.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

G1X...hello...the reason I thought it maybe a carry over 1960's jersey is from the red size 48 flag tag in the neck...wasn't that predominatly there on 1960's Packers jerseys? Would the red size flag tag in the neck be there for a 1970 or later Packers jersey?

beantown,

I have never had a Packers durene jersey from the early 1970s, so I cannot say for certain. According to Troy Kinunen's extensive Packers jersey article in Sports Collectors Digest earlier this year, the 1970 Packers durene jerseys did have the red size flag tag in the neck.

As for the discussion on the Fredericks tagging, I can think of several plausible scenarios of how Green Bay could end up having a store in California supply their uniforms. It could have been a situation where someone with the team had ties (friend, family, etc.) with Fredericks, or perhaps the person responsible for the orders was previously employed by the Rams or another team that used Fredericks. Back then, football wasn't a full-time job, so maybe a Packers employee (or even a player or former player) had an off-season job as a sales rep for Fredericks.

This might be something that we will never know.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Quote Originally Posted by G1X View Post

As for the discussion on the Fredericks tagging, I can think of several plausible scenarios of how Green Bay could end up having a store in California supply their uniforms. It could have been a situation where someone with the team had ties (friend, family, etc.) with Fredericks, or perhaps the person responsible for the orders was previously employed by the Rams or another team that used Fredericks. Back then, football wasn't a full-time job, so maybe a Packers employee (or even a player or former player) had an off-season job as a sales rep for Fredericks.

This might be something that we will never know.
    Mark
    Your scenarios sound possible. Maybe somone knows who supplied the Packers jerseys in the mid 60s and mid 70s. These answers may point to some other clues.

Banned

Hello guys. As I sit here with a cup of coffee reading all of the threads on this particular jersey, I realize that the attached threads are what this website is all about - a exchange of information between collector's. No bitching, no moaning and no personal attacks against other forum members.

Jim

I just started reading this thread - great discussion!

Could the jersey have been taken on the road to play an L.A. team and them maybe was torn or damaged somewhere and was taken to the Fredericks store for repair?

Perhaps the team was short a jersey and went to that store and had one made for game use?

just guessing.....

Jim

I have examined this jersey again to see if I could find anything else that may help in figuring this jersey out...on the Fredericks tag are the hand written letters "BC"....anyone might know what that means?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just A Guess!!
    In 1973 Ernest Borgnine played Vince Lombardi in a TV Movie Called "Legend In Granite".
    It profiled Lombardi's career from college to his days leading the Pack to glory.
    Actors played members of the 60's Packers.
    Given this is a 60's looking jersey with early 70's tagging plus a tag from a California company that supplied sporting goods to movies perhaps this is a Boyd Dowler prop from this movie.
    Again...Just a guess.
    Jack