Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Did we lose anyone on this forum?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cristian-Guzman-...QQcmdZViewItem

There are some current auction on ebay by someone in CA.

She's notes her husband just died and collection is being sold. Check out the photo of the nice display room with tons of bats.

Does anyone know who this collector was?

David

Re: Did we lose anyone on this forum?

I hate to be a cynic, but the hands in all those photos seem to be a man. I also wonder if a wife would start dumping her husband's collection as soon as he dies, let alone knowing about numbering and taping and pinetar habits. I hope I'm wrong, but something seems off to me.

ManHands from the Bizarro Jerry episode?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Unfortuanately, just another seller using a death story to get people to feel sorry for them; buy their stuff; and/oror justify why they have so much nice stuff to sell.

I emailed the seller and of course I got a defensive rude response because I asked questions. The seller said selling my dead husband's collection. Yet, I check their purchases on ebay and they're still buying sportscards and stuff.

I hate these type scams (if it is one). I think it's sad. Even if it's true, by even mention the death of somone. Just list the items for sale. Makes me hesitate everytime I see these type auctions.

Banned

I thought the same exact thing as staindsox said, those are mans hands in the picture not to mention I find it very interesting how a wife of a collector as pretty accurately listed starting prices and can describe in pretty good detail each bat.

Even a wife of a collector will have an idea on there husbands collection but chances are they are not gonna have an understanding of value for each bat and more then basic detail of each bat. Unless your the collector!!!

Here is something I would more expect from a wife of a collector.
    Example:
    Manny Ramirez Game Used bat shows good use.
    NOT
    This aution is for a Manny Ramirez Game Used Boston Red Sox Bat. This is an X bat. Has ASI hologram #24528. Outstanding ball marks, cleat, rack marks, and lots of pine tar. His trade mark tape on handle. All proper markings,

Agree 100%.

Here's the response I received:

A cynic isn't the name I would call you. However, it is my fathers hands(see age of hand) and I don't believe I stated when or how my husband died. Or even why I'm selling, looking at the collection every day, let alone selling is very hard. As far as me knowing about the collection; my husband collected for twenty+ years during our marriage and I learned some. Also, I'm blessed that there are many people helping when needed. The pieces are what they are. I just said that he died becaues people are curious why so many pieces are being sold, and why I have to find out about some of the questions being asked. Now, if you want to inquire about a item please feel free to write; if you just want to be absolutley rude keep your questions to yourself... I hope you understand now, even though it is none of your business.

I checked the sellers purchased. Seller bought this bat 13 October 2007"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200159263541

Now this means her husband had to buy this bat in Oct 07 and then died. Here it is 6 Dec and the widowing wife is already selling his stuff. I just don't think it's something one would be doing.

Again, sad that people pull this kind of crap.

document.write(''+hidelink+'');

Quote Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
    I hate these type scams (if it is one). I think it's sad. Even if it's true, by even mention the death of somone. Just list the items for sale. Makes me hesitate everytime I see these type auctions.
    i don't think there's anything wrong with a seller stating why he/she has chosen to sell an item - even if that reason includes sickness or death. a very reputable forum member recently listed some very rare, beautiful vintage football helmets and mentioned that the sale was necessary in order to help offset medical expenses due to a serious illness he was combating. sure, he could have simply listed the items without mentioning his illness but if he had i'm also sure he would have probably had to explain the reason for the sale to everyone that emailed him about why he was selling such a great collection....

Either the person's lying or telling the truth. It doesn't prove one way or another if the items are real and game used. Why would anybody try to email this seller and attempt to "call them out"? The risk of looking like a jackass doesn't equal the reward of uncovering a scam. In the words of Sadam: "Aren't we all Men?"

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    Either the person's lying or telling the truth. It doesn't prove one way or another if the items are real and game used. Why would anybody try to email this seller and attempt to "call them out"? The risk of looking like a jackass doesn't equal the reward of uncovering a scam. In the words of Sadam: "Aren't we all Men?"
    In no way does anyone look like a jackass by doing this. As we always say in this forum..."do you homework." If there are questions and/or concerns about the items...story doesn't make sense...etc., it's common practice to ask sellers questions. How they respond tells you a lot.

Many scams have been uncovered on ebay and shared in this forum. Remember...keeping the hobby safe! Looking out for each other.

Based on my two responses from this seller, I will stay far away for their auctions. But sharing information and concerns is what we do to help either out.

Regards, Tony (a.k. jackass)

Tony
    By no means am I calling you a jackass. If, and only if, it turns out this woman lost her husband and her story is true, then whoever emailed her and questioned her story, is indeed a "jackass".
    If some dude tried to use sympathy to sell baseball bats on eBay, there is a special place for him in the hot place.
    And yes, asking questions is part of the homework thing. Sorry for my salty post, but researching the use on the bats is far different than researching a seller's death story.