Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Issue w/ Buccaneers 1998 game used player jerseys

I have recently been looking into acquiring a game used Chidi Ahanotu Tampa Bay Buccaneers jersey and both Mears and BPH have game used/dated 1998 jerseys for sale. In doing some research I found out that Ahanotu only played in the first 4 games that season before having shoulder surgery on 10/14/98 and being placed on Injured Reserve on 10/28/98.

http://www.sptimes.com/Sports/101598/Surgery_ends_Ahanotu_.html

http://www.sptimes.com/Sports/102898..._signs_se.html

The issue with both of these jerseys is that they were apparently dated as game used by the Bucs equipment manager on 11/22/98 & 12/7/98. Now unless I've overlooked something, playing in these game would have been pretty tough for Ahanotu to pull off since you are ineligible to play the rest of the season after being placed on IR. Anyhow, I sent e-mails to both Mears and BPH letting them know about this info I came across. BPH does not have their jersey listed on-line but Mears currently does.

I guess this just points out how easy it would be for someone (not the current sellers) to write a game used date on a jersey like these since that was common practice by the Bucs EM from what I understand. Kinda like forging an autograph I guess. Both BPH and Mears handle so many jerseys that to me something like this might be easy to overlook.

Anyhow, I'm not posting this to try and make it look like BPH or Mears are trying to pull one over on anyone. I have personally bought two jerseys from Kim at BPH and have been very happy with both. I just wanted to share this info with the forum so no one purchases one of these Ahanotu jerseys under the assumption they were used in the games attributed to them.

Re: Issue w/ Buccaneers 1998 game used player jerseys

I used to own a similar jersey: '98 Ahanotu Adidas home jersey with the tag dated to a game that he couldn't possibly have played in due to the injury. I sold it once I learned this, (for a loss, of course).

The jersey that BPH is selling isn't the one I owned (the writing on their tag is much darker than it was on mine) and I can't look at Mears' example because there's no way I'm gonna pay $40 just to be able to look at their auctions.

That is some interesting stuff indeed. Have you received any replies from MEARS or BPH yet Dewey? Does their description indicate any use/wear on the jerseys? I wonder why the Bucs EM would write such if he knew a player did not play in a certain game? Maybe it was just a practice to write what game that jersey was designated for? I am not overly familiar with Bucs gamers and have never seen others where the EM actually writes on the jersey a game date, does anybody know how long he has been doing this? It is on the tagging I assume? And lastly I wonder if Bucs/NFL collectors use his markings as an authentication ingrediant?

Quote Originally Posted by nyjetsfan14 View Post
    That is some interesting stuff indeed. Have you received any replies from MEARS or BPH yet Dewey? Does their description indicate any use/wear on the jerseys? I wonder why the Bucs EM would write such if he knew a player did not play in a certain game? Maybe it was just a practice to write what game that jersey was designated for? I am not overly familiar with Bucs gamers and have never seen others where the EM actually writes on the jersey a game date, does anybody know how long he has been doing this? It is on the tagging I assume? And lastly I wonder if Bucs/NFL collectors use his markings as an authentication ingrediant?
    The EM in question was named Darin Kerns, (hence the "DK" initials on the jocktags), and he was replaced after only a couple of years with the Bucs. The short version of the popular story is that the Bucs ordered tons of extra jerseys from Adidas during the 1998-2000 seasons and the majority of them left "via the backdoor" without ever being used.

Quote Originally Posted by nyjetsfan14 View Post
    I contacted BPH and they changed their listing right away on the '98 Ahanotu to game issued unused jersey. I have yet to hear from Mears and I believe they still have their jersey listed.

I also discovered another Bucs jersey BPH had listed as game used because of the date written on the tagging by the equipment manager. It was a Bert Emanuel jersey dated to 10/4/98. Problem is he was injured for 4 games early in the season and did not play in this game attributed to the jersey. BPH pulled that one right away too. My theory at least with the Emanuel jersey is he may have suited up for the game although he didn't play and the jersey got lumped in with all the others and got marked as game used. Who knows but it appears the equipment manager back then was liberal on some of the jerseys he game dated.

No excuses on the Ahanotu jerseys though since he was on the IR from very early in the season.

I can't look at Mears' example because there's no way I'm gonna pay $40 just to be able to look at their auctions.[/QUOTE]

You can view the Mears jersey by going to: mearsonline.com

No need to pay $40 to view the non-auction jerseys they have for sale.

Got it, and thanks.

WOW......Mears wants $325 for that Ahanotu??!!

Not even if it were sewn together with platinum thread. It's worth $125 on a good day.

And $300 for a '98-'00 pre-season benchwarmer? Crackpipes aplenty over there, apparently. $75-$100 on that one......TOPS.

In general, the prices on their Buccaneers items seem to be on the high side, to say the least.

Craziness........people really need to take a good hard look at like-items on the market before they go posting stuff for sale like it's priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by 34swtns View Post
    Got it, and thanks.

WOW......Mears wants $325 for that Ahanotu??!!

Not even if it were sewn together with platinum thread. It's worth $125 on a good day.

And $300 for a '98-'00 pre-season benchwarmer? Crackpipes aplenty over there, apparently. $75-$100 on that one......TOPS.

In general, the prices on their Buccaneers items seem to be on the high side, to say the least.

Craziness........people really need to take a good hard look at like-items on the market before they go posting stuff for sale like it's priceless.
    Agreed on some of their prices. They have two jerseys that I'd be interested in (Germane Crowell and Wali Rainer) if their prices weren't so ridiculous (a combined $700).

Quote Originally Posted by grandpahoo View Post
    Agreed on some of their prices. They have two jerseys that I'd be interested in (Germane Crowell and Wali Rainer) if their prices weren't so ridiculous (a combined $700).
    WOW! Those prices are nuts - I paid $275 combined for my '97 Crowell set. That '94 Lions M. Riley (whoever that is) was on ebay last year for $75 which I thought was too much & they want $375 for it????

The folks at Mears are very attached to their items.
    Hate to see 'em go, apparently.