Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Pretty rare piece of history is up on eBay right now

Kyle -

I played ball for almost 20 years, until injury kept me from continuing. We use to go to Indiana and play in these "wooden bat" tournaments every now and then.

Hitting in the cages with a wooden bat is a little different than hitting an actual baseball. However, the vibes will always be there if you are not making contact on the right spot (sweet spot) of the bat. I always had more success hitting for power with a wooden bat - there seemed to be less spin on the ball...

I broke a few bats too - That Rawlings you are using looks like a cheaper retail bat (?) the wood quality is not great, and the ball will not have the same feel as MLB timber or a higher quality bat. I saw some guys in those tournaments use the equivalent of a LS 180 model (autograph bat, basically) and have some success though...so it depends on the swing too.

For vibe control in the cages these days (only for workouts), I use a mid-priced LS Maple bat (MM159) - it has lasted through some serious cage sessions, and feels GREAT when you hit it correctly. MUCH better than the LS Pro-Lites that I bought. They broke almost immediately - then again, I am probably a tad larger than you are

Good luck at your tryouts. Why not try to get on your local Junior College team? Many of them will take walk-ons.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post
    Kyle -

I played ball for almost 20 years, until injury kept me from continuing. We use to go to Indiana and play in these "wooden bat" tournaments every now and then.

Hitting in the cages with a wooden bat is a little different than hitting an actual baseball. However, the vibes will always be there if you are not making contact on the right spot (sweet spot) of the bat. I always had more success hitting for power with a wooden bat - there seemed to be less spin on the ball...

I broke a few bats too - That Rawlings you are using looks like a cheaper retail bat (?) the wood quality is not great, and the ball will not have the same feel as MLB timber or a higher quality bat. I saw some guys in those tournaments use the equivalent of a LS 180 model (autograph bat, basically) and have some success though...so it depends on the swing too.

For vibe control in the cages these days (only for workouts), I use a mid-priced LS Maple bat (MM159) - it has lasted through some serious cage sessions, and feels GREAT when you hit it correctly. MUCH better than the LS Pro-Lites that I bought. They broke almost immediately - then again, I am probably a tad larger than you are

Good luck at your tryouts. Why not try to get on your local Junior College team? Many of them will take walk-ons.

Yes the Rawlings bat I used was the cheaper kind but it was my first wooden bat so I thought it would've been a perfect start. It lasted a good 2 months though, most-likely being that I never had any fast pitches thrown to me. It cracked though right after using it in the batting cages. Also, I would try-out for baseball at the college I could go to near me, but the only problem is that they don't have an athletic program yet. They should in a few years (as they said) but I really doubt it.

Thumbs up Re: Pretty rare piece of history is up on eBay right now

Kyle,

Best of luck in your tryouts. Too bad they don't have any other colleges near you, alot will have walk-ons and bigger rosters than many other schools. Another option would be to take a look for a semi-pro league, it's not the bigs but it is still competing. You can train and practice all of the time, but its not the same as any game activity no matter what level.

Dave's story about injuries is far too common in baseball -- its just a matter of how far you can make it before anything happens. Looking back I would have loved to keep healthy long enough to get signed and even sit on the bench on the DL for a season. I remember back to laughing at coaches stressing the importance of stretching and thinking "who the heck is he kidding, thats for old out of shape people". I guess I'm one of the old people now because I can barely imagine running any distance without streching. I'm not saying that stretching would have prevented my injury, but if I had it all to do over again.....I wouldn't take any chances.

Another option would be to look into a winter instructional league. They have a few around that will take walk-ons for the league. Many of them have former major leaguers as coaches and play a short season. The only hard part is that you will have to likely travel and some make you pay for room and board and meals up front. There ya go, maybe an idea on what the next auction can raise money for.

Hope you have fun in NY and take care, JP

Quote Originally Posted by kylehess10 View Post
    Actually I did wear batting gloves too! The vibrations still hurt but it's just something you have to get used to I guess. I might have to wait until next year though for the MLSB Tryouts; unless one of the minor league teams near me hold a tryout anytime soon. In the meantime I'm gonna head back to high school and give it a try at high school ball
    You are still eligible for high school ball?
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

[quote=kylehess10;88191]Probably worth a million bucks:

Why? I dont get the value of this thread with regards to actual professional sports collectibles....am I missing something? or are we just adding unnecessary cost to GUU?
    Regards,
    Ty

Regards,
    Ty Moore
    www.FriendsOfCFF.com
    Make a difference, help find a cure!

"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is the meaning of success."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Banned

Smile Re: Pretty rare piece of history is up on eBay right now

[quote=tym;89190]
    Probably worth a million bucks:

Why? I dont get the value of this thread with regards to actual professional sports collectibles....am I missing something? or are we just adding unnecessary cost to GUU?
    Regards,
    Ty

Regards,
    Ty Moore
    www.FriendsOfCFF.com

"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is the meaning of success."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson
    Ty, I bought the item to help the kid's New York trip fund. I even put in a higher bid, figuring since the kid is a regular on the forum who means nothing but well and I bet when he gets to the next stage he will have an amazing memorabilia collection as he is very involved.

If you are not happy with Kyle's thread, you do not have to continue to read it. I know they went off on a tangent, but no reason to pick on the kid.

I'm hoping he makes the majors because I will gladly cash this bat and ball in when he does (giving part of the profits to a charity of my choice at the time) and we can look up this thread and laugh how his bat and ball sold for so little on eBay!

[quote=trsent;89191]
    Quote Originally Posted by tym View Post

Ty, I bought the item to help the kid's New York trip fund. I even put in a higher bid, figuring since the kid is a regular on the forum who means nothing but well and I bet when he gets to the next stage he will have an amazing memorabilia collection as he is very involved.

If you are not happy with Kyle's thread, you do not have to continue to read it. I know they went off on a tangent, but no reason to pick on the kid.

I'm hoping he makes the majors because I will gladly cash this bat and ball in when he does (giving part of the profits to a charity of my choice at the time) and we can look up this thread and laugh how his bat and ball sold for so little on eBay!
    I can't believe that we're even discussing this. It's so simple. Kyle wants to go to New York, so he's selling a bat of his. Although he hasn't said as much, the thread can be read as implicit mockery of people trying to collect players from the moment they're out of diapers. In case you're curious, Ty, I placed several bids on Kyle's bat. It wasn't about getting a high school kid's used bat; rather, I too wanted to help him get to New York. From everything I've read here, Kyle is a true fan. He goes to the games, photographs the players, and collects their game-used memorabilia. If life were fair, Kyle would have an all-expense paid trip to New York. But instead of rewarding the biggest fans, our system rewards the biggest spenders, and Kyle doesn't have more than an 18-year-old's salary. So we want to help him out. It's that simple. You're a charitable man, Ty, so I hope you'd want to help a kid like Kyle.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Banned

[quote=tym;89190]
    Probably worth a million bucks:

Regards,
    Ty

Regards,
    Ty Moore
    www.FriendsOfCFF.com

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
    Wow I was a bit surprised by this post.

Whether did this to help his cause or for humor either way he is a great resource for this forum. He tries to contribute in any way he can esepcially towards Braves items since he is near or from that area. He is always willing to help and take this hobby very serious which is great for someone of his age. Most kids his age are so focused on video game they don't even know what it is to pick up a bat. Kids nowadays rather play Baseball on xbox360 or ps3 than in real life.

Kyle also provides threads from time to time that are humorous which is what we need, sometimes we all get a little too serious about the hobby and forget that it is supposed to be fun. So this particular thread he started is very much welcomed.

Kyle keep up the good work!!!

Tym -

A little off- topic, yes - but still not malicious to anyone.
    I would much rather read/contribute to Kyle's cause - as his youth tends to add a much-needed reprieve from the adult bickering that sometimes takes place here.

I know you are a good guy Tym. Everyone is entitled to an opinon.

When I disagree with a post, I usually just ignore the thread and move forward to something more satisfying.

Also - Being that Kyle is longshot to make the majors (just being real Kyle) I think the thread is more tongue and cheek. The kid needs some help getting to NY for the All-Star game...and a few forum members wanted to help him out.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post
    Tym -

A little off- topic, yes - but still not malicious to anyone.
    I would much rather read/contribute to Kyle's cause - as his youth tends to add a much-needed reprieve from the adult bickering that sometimes takes place here.

I know you are a good guy Tym. Everyone is entitled to an opinon.

When I disagree with a post, I usually just ignore the thread and move forward to something more satisfying.

Also - Being that Kyle is longshot to make the majors (just being real Kyle) I think the thread is more tongue and cheek. The kid needs some help getting to NY for the All-Star game...and a few forum members wanted to help him out.
    Thanks all, I stand corrected and now understand what is happening. My bad for not having all the background!

Regards,
    Ty