Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: What is your opinion on sellers charging over and above the shipping cost?

I remember when someone complained that one of the big auctions shipping charge was more than their cost. He meant the PO shipping price on the sticker on the box. I explained that, unless they are using slave labor, the auction house is paying people at least minimum wage to package, so their shipping/handling cost is at least that much more than the number on the package stickers.

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    Oops, I forgot to comment on this one.

When you bid .99-cents, you knew shipping was $3.00 so you basically accepted that you were buying a $4.00 card. If you only felt the card was worth $1.00, then you should have not bid, right?

I have a friend who used to charge $1.00 to ship a card, and then with new fees he raised it to $2.00. He doesn't use tracking for lower priced orders, but he found $1.00 for a .99-cents card he was losing money on the whole transaction.
    i'm not concerned it's over i was just stating the facts whats a stamp now 42 cents im not sure but to charge $3.00 it's only $3.00 but thats almost a gallon of gas for a 22 year old kid who goes to ocean city all the time

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ndevlin View Post
    Heres a perfect example of too much shipping!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Baseball-1955-Re...QQcmdZViewItem

Ndevlin actually I looked into just out of curiosity to see what the actual costs would be on this item.
    If you pay attention to the sellers shipping preference he is using UPS Next Day Air.
    Which I checked out and roughly estimates on this item from $33.00 to $52.00 depending if on the specific day you choose.
    He has it listed for $65 shipping.
    So as he still may be gouging his actual balance he will make for himself would be between $13.00 to $32.00
    Judging by this seller also doesnt seem like he is a big seller and probably is just trying to make an educated guess and get the item to you as quick and safe as possible.

For the item he is selling thats really not that bad (if the item is exactly what he says it is) I think it is actually worth it.

Come on now guys, dont hate on someone elses opinion. You dont know me, so dont suspect that I am not a seller, or anything else for that matter.

Sorry Brett, let me clarify that. When I said free shipping, I meant when you get free boxes from usps, they send it to you free of charge, as in, no shipping costs.

Thanks for the update, do you know if they have all one size shipping boxes or do they have different sizes? My wife picked up some boxes free for me before however they were too small to ship virtually anything that I have sold over the past year or two.

Thanks
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    Ndevlin actually I looked into just out of curiosity to see what the actual costs would be on this item.
    If you pay attention to the sellers shipping preference he is using UPS Next Day Air.
    Which I checked out and roughly estimates on this item from $33.00 to $52.00 depending if on the specific day you choose.
    So as he still may be gouging his actual balance he will make for himself would be between $13.00 to $32.00
    Judging by this seller also doesnt seem like he is a big seller and probably is just trying to make an educated guess and get the item to you as quick and safe as possible.

For the item he is selling thats really not that bad (if the item is exactly what he says it is) I think it is actually worth it.

Hi Suave,

Yeah, I didnt see that it was next day shipping when I posted. Even though, I wouldnt want next day shipping anyways. I'd be ok with $10 3-5 day

Quote Originally Posted by mr.miracle View Post
    Thanks for the update, do you know if they have all one size shipping boxes or do they have different sizes? My wife picked up some boxes free for me before however they were too small to ship virtually anything that I have sold over the past year or two.

Thanks

Yeah, I know they have a couple different sizes. For example, the boxes you ship bats in, I know those are free, as well as the ones that are a little bit shorter, but same sort of box. And I believe boxes that you can put baseballs in. Here, I'll drop a link and hopefully it will work. Under each item, it will either say No Charge, or the price for the item. Also note there are 6+ pages of boxes and supplies. Let me know if this does not work and would be more than happy to send you an email.

http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stor...category=11820

Actually, from a personal standpoint, I hate packaging. Some people may enjoy it, but I don't. The primary reason for cutting back my sales, is I don't want to package the items. It's often easier not to sell, especially when they're a good chance you'll los money on eBay. Packaging is indeed more palatable on a profit than a loss, but there are many losses on eBay these days.

I don't charge buyers from my packaging and handling, but that's not because I think my time is worthless or that packaging is fun. As I mentioned earlier I can't find anyone who wants to package for me for free or cut boxes as a pastime, so I assume I am not the only one with this sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Actually, from a personal standpoint, I hate packaging. Some people may enjoy it, but I don't. The primary reason for cutting back my sales, is I don't want to package the items. It's often easier not to sell, especially when they're a good chance you'll los money on eBay. Packaging is indeed more palatable on a profit than a loss, but there are many losses on eBay these days.

I don't charge buyers from my packaging and handling, but that's not because I think my time is worthless or that packaging is fun. As I mentioned earlier I can't find anyone who wants to package for me for free or cut boxes as a pastime, so I assume I am not the only one with this sentiment.
    THATS WHY I GO TO UPS STORE THEY CHARGE ME SIX DOLLARS FOR THE BOX AND PACKAGING THERE IS NO WAY I WOULD SHIP IT WITH THEM TO MUCH BUT THEY DO A GREAT JOB AND THE SHIPPING TUBES I BUY I LIKE BETTER THAN THE BOXES USPS OR FEDEX HAS BECAUSE IT FITS BATS BETTER IT COST ME $2.99 FOR A TUBE WHICH IS 42 INCHES LONG

Quote Originally Posted by orioles03 View Post
    THATS WHY I GO TO UPS STORE THEY CHARGE ME SIX DOLLARS FOR THE BOX AND PACKAGING THERE IS NO WAY I WOULD SHIP IT WITH THEM TO MUCH BUT THEY DO A GREAT JOB AND THE SHIPPING TUBES I BUY I LIKE BETTER THAN THE BOXES USPS OR FEDEX HAS BECAUSE IT FITS BATS BETTER IT COST ME $2.99 FOR A TUBE WHICH IS 42 INCHES LONG
    Agreed, that is what I generally like to do as well. Since I am at work 75 hours a week and spend another ten to fifteen hours commuting to and from, I really don't often have time to play with packaging tape, boxes etc.
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by orioles03 View Post
    i'm not concerned it's over i was just stating the facts whats a stamp now 42 cents im not sure but to charge $3.00 it's only $3.00 but thats almost a gallon of gas for a 22 year old kid who goes to ocean city all the time
    Two things:

1. If a seller charges $3.00 shipping and puts the item in a 42-cents envelope there is an issue as they are avoiding packaging, protection and PayPal required tracking. They are poor sellers taking advantage of the system.

2. If you have to debate weather to buy $3.99 baseball cards or spend it on gas to get to the Ocean - You need to find a better job. Then again, I always love to tell the story how while in high school Dad used to tell me he wanted to see me pay bills with my baseball cards. Then about 12 years later, Dad asked to borrow $17,000.00 to have enough for a down payment on his house. As I sent him the money, I told him to remember that this was, "Baseball Card Money".

Though all of you comments are fine, I dont see why a seller would want more for shipping than what it actually costs to ship! You can get free boxes at usps, with free shipping, and just about everyone I know gets the newspaper or have some sort of paper lying around. The handling for that is completely free. So overpaying due to shipping charges I feel is a bit silly. Or just a lack of what free supplies are available, which is not the buyers fault. Do your homework sellers!
    I think what you are missing is many sellers use the shipping fees to cover other costs, such as PayPal fees or eBay fees or maybe just the fees involved with running an eBay business. Instead of worrying that someone is making money on shipping and handling, make sure you understand that when you bid you know what they are charging and bid accordingly.

There is also the issue, that may cost or save you that a seller is charging a flat fee. So, if you buy and you live 100 miles or 3000 miles from the seller, you are paying the same price even though the seller may be charging more or less than actual cost. Sellers often do not have time to calculate each order, so they use a flat rate and it all evens out to them. I have found that even though eBay offers a calculated button, it often doesn't work right and it just often scares away bids - So like most all sellers I use a standard flat rate.

Once again, you see the shipping and handling fees prior to placing a bid, so bid accordingly and then there are no surprises since you have figured the eBay final bid price into your calculation by deducting shipping from your bid.

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post

Wow, I have not used UPS Overnight in years since the USPS Overnight is so much cheaper (and less reliable). You are right, for a 2-pound box it is insane that this seller would pay $52.00 to UPS to ship it overnight from NH to me in IL.

Here is the thing - This baseball is not worth much more than the $65.00 shipping they are charging. Maybe I am wrong, but the ball is faded and dirty. Ok, it is worth more than the $65.00 shipping, but I don't think this ball will end over $200.00. In fact, with $65.00 shipping it shouldn't end too high at all.

Now we have to monitor it.