Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Why is Arod really hate by so many people?

Quote Originally Posted by nycsports View Post
    I hope A-Rod doesn't take notes on how to play like Ripken, cause if he did he'd be a .270 career hitter that averages 20 HR's per year.
    Yeah, you are right, he only had 10 straight seasons with 20 plus homers. So many players have done that over the years that its not worth mentioning. That and two MVP awards he should probably be booted out of the HOF.
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Jealousy and stupidity! Are the main reasons!

I have been a life long Yankees fan, and I am a big fan of A-Rod. In regards to his on field play, I am happy the Yankees have him on the team, as would any team, when he puts up 50 HR/150+ RBI numbers. In regards to his "choking in the post season," its crazy to place the blame for the Yankees recent post season failures all on A-Rod. Yes A-Rod has struggled in the post season, but so have 90% of the rest of the Yankees' batters. Pitchers like Jaret Wright, Randy Johnson, Kevin Brown, and even Wang (19+ era in 2007 playoffs) are to blame for the Yankees' recent post season failures as well. A-Rod gets most of the blame however, because he gets paid the most, he's the best player in the game, and a lot is expected from.

In regards to A-Rod's off-field life, I work in NY and see headlines about him in the NY papers every day. It's obvious that the NY press is just trying to write something negative about A-Rod, and most of the time the stories are just ridiculous. For example, yesterday, the NY Post wrote a story about how he was walking down the street in NY and checking out a girl. The Post showed two photos of him looking at the girl, and even wrote a story about this. Is that really news? I look at girls every day when I walk to work (along with every other guy in Manhattan). In in regards to his marital issues and accusations of cheating, I could care less what A-Rod does in his life off the field. If he did cheat on his wife, he's not the first baseball star to do so, (Mantle, Ruth, Boggs, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.) and he wont be the last. I'm just happy A-Rod is a Yankee, and I think most Yankees fans are as well. I mean he got a pretty loud ovation the other night at the A.S. game. And he'll continue to get bashed in the press, but that's just how NY is.

DING DING DING DING, we have a winner, tell them what they won Johnny. The reason the Yankees don't advance in the playoffs over the past seven years is because their pitching sucks. While the rest of the league manages to compete on 50 - 80 million dollar payrolls or less, the Yankees keep signing old, used up pitchers who are not worth the 15 - 20 million per year that they are paid. Can we say Kevin Brown, Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens, Capt. Injury Carl Pavano and even Mike Mussina and Andy Pettite have been spotty at best over the past five seasons. Pitching wins in the playoffs and that is why the Yankees have consistently failed to advance over the past seven seasons with their massive payroll and aging injury prone players. That coupled with the fact that you have aging stars with massive payroll numbers in Jason Giambi, Hideki Matsui, Johnny Damon, and even Posada and this team may be in serious trouble in the next few seasons. Can they reload? Will they reload probably but Jeter just turned 34 and AROD 33 and this roster is built with high salaries with a number of aging players at each position. You can blame AROD but blame the rest of the Yankees as well as they have collectively failed to perform when it counts.

Thanks
    Brett Herman

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Quote Originally Posted by cjclong View Post
    I guess the last post about Ripken shows everybody has their critics and you can't please everybody.
    I was only joking, I enjoyed watching Ripken play.

Quote Originally Posted by AROD313 View Post
    Jealousy and stupidity! Are the main reasons!
    Exactly!

I was only joking, I enjoyed watching Ripken play.
    I know you did, but you are right, AROD has put up crazy numbers compared to everyone but Phat Albert Pujols.
    Brett Herman

I am going to try to find an article that I think ESPN did last year prior to the Yankees entering the latest of their playoff flops. It analyzed Jeter and AROD's numbers over the past seven years in the playoffs and AROD was actually playing either better than Jeter or it was dead even. Yankee fans though will always give Jeter a pass since he has four rings as well as his overall play and the way he handles himself on and off the field. Meanwhile, AROD for as hard as he tries turns everything into a 3 ring circus in almost every aspect of his life.

Look at the numbers career wise. AROD will turn 33 later this month not yet is in his 14th season has a 306 lifetime average, 537 homers, 1556 RBI's, 2337 career hits, 948 BB, 278 Stolen Bases, .389 OBP, .578 SLG, .972 OPS. Jeter meanwhile is in his 13th season has played a total of 56 less career games as AROD has a 316 lifetime average, 200 HR, 975 RBI's, 2456 career hits, 788 walks, 269 stolen bases, .386 OBP, .459 SLG, and a .846 OPS. Jeter is making 21.6 million this year and AROD 28 million. Show me those numbers and I would suggest Jeter is overpaid compared to overall production vs. AROD's career numbers. (I actually think they are both overpaid but that is another story). The bottom line is that Jeter handles himself on and off the field in a very professional manner and AROD does not and that will ultimately make the difference no matter what both men do now and in the future.
    Brett Herman

Most of the negative I get about Arod is from the media. I don't see Arod really doing or saying anything wrong. His marriage problems are common in today's society. Only difference with Arod's situation is, the media is all over it, where you and I getting divorced, who cares.

I believe Arod loves the game. He works hard to be the best he can. I think he wants to be the best when it's all said and done, and I don't see anything wrong with that. I don't see him stepping on anyones toes to get there. Media says players think he's all about himself, but don't hear players saying that. Again, all my negative info is from forums like this and the media. Some do know things I don't, so I can only try to figure out what I hear and read.

I will say, like most do. Arod tries to hard to be liked. He overthinks things way too much, and that's where many people say "there's just something about Arod that isn't right." Other than that, I think he's a great baseball players and that's what interests me most about Arod the Baseball Player.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.miracle View Post
    The bottom line is that Jeter handles himself on and off the field in a very professional manner and AROD does not and that will ultimately make the difference no matter what both men do now and in the future.
    I do agree. However, the media leaves Derek Jeter alone. I'm sure if they wanted too, they could come up with a few good stories.

I think that one big difference between Jeter and ARod, particularly in the NY fans perception is that Jeter has had a number of clutch hits that won big important games, particularly in the playoffs and world series. He was MVP of both the All Star Game and the World Series the same year. Until last year ARod was perceived as failing in the clutch. Last year he unquestionably carried the team and got big hits. Then the whole team quit hitting in the playoff. When you look at most players they frequently have lower statistics in the playoffs and WS than during the regular season. Willie Mays did very little in the three WS with the Giants besides his catch in the '54 series. Given that should we regard him as a failure as some do ARod? Jeter has played at the same level or in some ways higher in the playoffs and WS. If ARod could ever be perceived as getting the big hits a lot of the other stuff would be ignored. Since he isn't it sticks.