Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why Do You Collect That Player?

Being from hawaii we don't have pro team. witch has aloud to be able to adopted a team from anywhere, and I chose to love the Yankees. I guess its because as a kid the only games that where on TV was a Yankees games. I followed Steve Sax, Kevin Maas( turned out to be a bust) and now Derek Jeter. Jeter is by far the most loved Yankee since THE HITMAN #23. He's a character guy on and off the field, always seem to be in the right place at the right time, and seems to get that big hit or make that big play whenever necessary. Thats why i collect jeter.
    But do to high price created by Steiner on Yankees gears, it maybe time to start collecting other teams and players. How do you other Yankees fans feel about this statement? I'll still collect yankees and jeter, but at the same time find a little more pocket friendly player to collect.
    Thanks Scott

Banned

Re: Why Do You Collect That Player?

Well the reason I started collecting Bobby Jenks was because my wife loves him. So everytime I receive anything Jenks she gets excited too and I dont have to hear her crap. Here's my wife with Bobby
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I am originally from New York and moved to Seattle in my youth. Grandpa made sure I stayed a good Yankee fan even though I was thousands of miles from NY. After about 10 years and 50 Mariners games I was a fan of both teams. Any how I started collecting cards in '87 and tried going after Mantle and Maris cards. I was able to get several but always in less than mint condition. By the mid 90's Junior was in full swing and I had moved from cards to bats. The thought of collecting Yankees went through my head for about 10 seconds. It just didn't seem feasible to me because of their popularity and decades and decades of players. So I thought how hard can it be to get a used bat from every Mariner going back to 1977? 12 years and 330 bats later I think I made the right choice. I still watch the Yanks and would like an O'Neill or a Bernie bat but I have to stick with the Mariners until I have at least one of each player..... Can't collect it all!!!

Davis

I collect Dave Kingman. As a kid outside Detroit in the late 70's that might seem strange. My brother was a diehard Tigers fan; I not so much. When we arrived home from school the Cubs were on cable. The only 2 strong points on that team were Kingman and Sutter. I liked the longball and the intimidation Kingman brought to the plate.
    I also enjoyed the fact he cared less about the limelight. To this day I still collect Dave and know him personally. I collect Thome and McGwire, some Adam Dunn, but Kong is still the guy!

[quote=skyking26;93897] The only 2 strong points on that team were Kingman and Sutter. quote]

Okay Robert you've now offended me . The first baseman on those teams was a pretty good player and won a batting title during that era. He also made the most famous error in history. I've been collecting Bill Buckner's stuff for a long time and never really forgave the Cubs for trading him in 1984.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[quote=karamaxjoe;93904]
    Quote Originally Posted by skyking26 View Post
    The only 2 strong points on that team were Kingman and Sutter. quote]

Okay Robert you've now offended me . The first baseman on those teams was a pretty good player and won a batting title during that era. He also made the most famous error in history. I've been collecting Bill Buckner's stuff for a long time and never really forgave the Cubs for trading him in 1984.
    I humbly stand corrected. Buck was one of the 3 to be sure. I always liked him and felt he was a gamer. Never have met him yet. I collected his cards as a kid. Terrible that many only remember him for that error...

I know a guy that would love that jersey if you ever sell!!

[quote=skyking26;93905]
    Quote Originally Posted by karamaxjoe View Post
    I humbly stand corrected. Buck was one of the 3 to be sure. I always liked him and felt he was a gamer. Never have met him yet. I collected his cards as a kid. Terrible that many only remember him for that error...

I know a guy that would love that jersey if you ever sell!!

I'm pretty much holding the jersey for Rob Steinmetz until I'm ready to sell. That Kingman crown that Rob has in his collection is AWESOME. You don't see too many of those in private collections.
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rob was who I had in mind, he is a personal friend of mine. Yes, I saw the crown as well...pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by platinum1 View Post
    Well the reason I started collecting Bobby Jenks was because my wife loves him. So everytime I receive anything Jenks she gets excited too and I dont have to hear her crap. Here's my wife with Bobby
    As long as she doesn't call his name out while your making whoopie, then you should be ok

Because...

Dr. J shook the whole damn team,
    With moves that came right out of a dream