Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Largest private Yankee Collection

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    Does anyone know how Marshall Fogel got his collection. Is he super rich, because i was looking through the Mears website and theirs alot of bats that say from the Marshall Fogel Collection.

Another great resource is the Mastronet bat guide. It features many of Marshall Fogel's bats. His collection features game used bats for every player in the HOF including many one of a kind bats. Mr. Fogel wrote the preface of the book and according to him Bill Mastro was one of the persons who helped him find the pieces in his collection.

_david

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    David,

Great selection. How can a man have so much foresight. Barry Halper is a legend.

The best part of the story behind Halpers collection is that he got many of the historical items directly from the players and free. Many of the historical items like milestone hits or win game used items were personalized to him either on the item or some other medium.

He had the foresight to get the players to sign index cards to attest to the authenticity of the item if the item wasn't signed directly.

Talk about great provenance. Halper was a genius.

-David

Thanks for the info. I just bought it on ebay, and look forward to reading it. Maybe this will make the train rides to work something to look forward to

Story behind Barry Halper?

I have heard the name here and there over the years in collecting circles, most notably associated with the Sotheby's Auction, but was not quite sure what his other claim to fame was. I just did a little research on him tonight, and saw that he, in addition to passing away several years ago, was a part owner of the Yankees. How did he get such historical items? Where did his wealth come from? What put him in a position to obtain such items, his involvement with the Yankees? I couldn't find any Wikipedia on him. Just some stuff about his Auction in 1999 and some obituaries. I apologize for being ignorant on him, and maybe I am missing the big write ups on him somewhere, curious to know more about him and his collection. I saw he has kids, do they still have some of the collection?

Re: Story behind Barry Halper?

i tried for 20 minutes trying to locate a book which talks about halpers collection but cant locate it. i will post once i find it.

If Barry sold it today, it would probably go for over 100,000,000...

then again, we that sale occurred it sort of TRANSCENDED collecting, because the market recieved so many more "goods".

Now you see the #250 highest priced sold item in that auction, be a #1 item sold in todays auctions...unreal

maybe someone has this book too. i recall there being a photo of pete rose with some jersey he gave to barry. many players thought it was a privilege to be a part of his collection and gave him what we consider high end items for free.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Re: Story behind Barry Halper?

Quote Originally Posted by jboosted92 View Post
    If Barry sold it today, it would probably go for over 100,000,000...

then again, we that sale occurred it sort of TRANSCENDED collecting, because the market recieved so many more "goods".

Now you see the #250 highest priced sold item in that auction, be a #1 item sold in todays auctions...unreal

Let me rephrase that, as Barry has passed. "If the collection was sold today...."

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    thats classic morning read.

''Mickey had a great sense of humor, sometimes a bizarre one,'' said Mr. Halper. ''I was in Dallas shortly before he died, and he was holding a news conference to discuss his liver cancer. He saw me and hollered, 'Hey, Barry, do you want to buy my liver?' ''
    ''Mickey knew that I had Ty Cobb's dentures,'' Mr. Halper added, with a laugh. ''Maybe he was trying to be helpful.'' Mr. Halper wasn't interested in Mantle's liver, but he did covet the scalpel used in the liver-transplant operation. The surgeon said he could not be sure which one he had used, but Mantle had another idea. A few weeks later Mr. Halper received a Federal Express package, and when he opened it he found a plastic glove, with a note: ''This is the glove from my hemmorid exam. Mickey Mantle.''
    Mr. Halper framed the glove in a glass butterfly case but discreetly tucked it in a drawer. ''What should I do?'' asked Mr. Halper. ''Throw it away?''
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

thats classic morning read.

''Mickey had a great sense of humor, sometimes a bizarre one,'' said Mr. Halper. ''I was in Dallas shortly before he died, and he was holding a news conference to discuss his liver cancer. He saw me and hollered, 'Hey, Barry, do you want to buy my liver?' ''
    ''Mickey knew that I had Ty Cobb's dentures,'' Mr. Halper added, with a laugh. ''Maybe he was trying to be helpful.'' Mr. Halper wasn't interested in Mantle's liver, but he did covet the scalpel used in the liver-transplant operation. The surgeon said he could not be sure which one he had used, but Mantle had another idea. A few weeks later Mr. Halper received a Federal Express package, and when he opened it he found a plastic glove, with a note: ''This is the glove from my hemmorid exam. Mickey Mantle.''
    Mr. Halper framed the glove in a glass butterfly case but discreetly tucked it in a drawer. ''What should I do?'' asked Mr. Halper. ''Throw it away?''

Who would have know. Barry Halper, the original Kylehess!