Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Post Re: Shea Stadium Seats

Quote Originally Posted by JimCaravello View Post
    I spent a lot of time there as a kid too - and loved the place - have some great memories at Shea in the early 70's - As a family went there more than Yankee Stadium as my dad did not like to go make the trip to the Bronx. My comment really relates to the age of the Stadium and the long history that other parks have that are still standing - also, my comment is about the ebay price of $2000 for the pair. That's a little ridiculous. I think the Mets online price is really quite good. Sounds like all the lower level orange seats are gone through an online inquiry.

Didn't mean to offend you - and if I did, I apologize - sometime in the future I will get a pair of those orange seats and display them proudly in my sports room with my Yankees seats...........
    No problem, Jim. I know Shea seats aren't quite the investment that those other stadium seats would be - you would know, you've got a few of them I see - but for me this is one of those times it's not about that. I'm happy to be able to have something that connects with those great memories, especially having been able to take my 5 year old daughter to her first Mets game at the place I went as a kid before they tear it down. Nice to hear you had some good times there too.

I agree that Shea certainly doesn't have the same history as those others and I appreciate those places too. Shea's still tops in my book and I'm sorry to see it go actually.

I'm with you on that eBay listing... outrageous. When I first visited your link, I thought that was a typo!

As for the Shea prices, it was more than I wanted to spend - one seat would have been fine too - but I bit the bullet. I was lucky enough to grab a set of the orange seats early this morning.

Re: Shea Stadium Seats

I read the price of the seats was determined by the 2 WS championships the Mets won in 69 and 86 hence the 869 price.

David

I picked up a pair of the Orange ones.

Anyone else pick up a pair? Color?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TFig27 - NY Yankees Collector
    A. Boone - R. Cano - N. Swisher - T. Martinez - P. O'Neill - E. Hinske
    J. Damon - R. Brogna - D. Bragg - W. Upshaw - K. Farnsworth

I picked up a pair of blue Loge seats. The price is higher than other recent stadium seat sales but when you factor in that shipping and restoration (repainting) of the metal bases were included it makes it less of a sting. Additionally the MLB authentication is a great plus too.

I brought my wife, 2 daughters, son to their first ball games at Shea.

Lots of fond memories there for me too just like Mike.

-David

Another thing that everyone looking for seats from the Shea and Yankee Stadium demolitions needs to keep in mind is that although capacity for both parks is around 56k, at a minimum every 3rd seat is lost in the breakdown due to the nature of the continuous rows.

Each pair of seats needs to have the framing/armrest in between the pair and on each outer end. Therefore, in a row with 10 seats connected, you will not yield 5 pair, but only 3, and possibly a single seat from the other end, thus greatly reducing the quantity available.

My guess is that there will also be a flood of seat backs/bottoms that make their way to the market, either unsigned or with autographs of current/former greats attached.
    R.J. Hinners

Always looking for Don Mattingly and other Yankees' game-used items and quality memorabilia.

Post Re: Shea Stadium Seats

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    The price is higher than other recent stadium seat sales but when you factor in that shipping and restoration (repainting) of the metal bases were included it makes it less of a sting. Additionally the MLB authentication is a great plus too.
    I'm with you, David. I imagine the cost of shipping could be expensive, relatively speaking. Also, the fact that restoration is included - as you mention - as are metal floor brackets for the blue, green and red seats (the orange seats are already floor-mountable) made the price a little more "reasonable". I like the fact that they'll arrive ready to display no matter which color you buy.

Mike

David - glad you snagged a pair of the orange - those were goine when I e-mailed the Mets today. If anyone who has bought orange and changes their mind and wants to sell before they are shipped - please let me know, as I prefer the floor mounted seats......thanks! Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JimCaravello View Post
    David - glad you snagged a pair of the orange - those were goine when I e-mailed the Mets today. If anyone who has bought orange and changes their mind and wants to sell before they are shipped - please let me know, as I prefer the floor mounted seats......thanks! Jim
    Tfig27 actually picked up an orange set. I have an orange single seat which I picked up from fellow forum member Kidhof03 (Abe K) a couple of years ago. I picked up a pair of blue loge which in my opinion and from other Met fans I've spoke too are fewer in numbers than the orange field or upper deck red seats. Though I agree those orange floor mount seats which can stand on their own are nice. I believe though the majority of the current orange seats at Shea are the new type with the cushion like seat.

DonFan23 thank you for explanation regarding the reduction in availability in complete pairs of seats.

David

Field Level - 11,149 (orange)
    Loge Level - 8,852 (blue)
    Mezzanine Level - 14,156 (green)
    Upper Deck - 20,420 (red)

For those interested here's a breakdown of the seating capacity of Shea by levels.

David

Last October the Tigers had their sale from Tiger Stadium. They took a chain saw thru every third seat to get the pairs. I picked up a pair of blue TS seats. They arrived months later all loose and in not the greatest of shape, but they'll do. Signage went high, I did not get involved in any of that...

My parents took me and brother Jeff down at least once a year as kids. Saw alot of HOF'ers there, chased many a broadcaster from the booth for signatures. I just had my 2 kids at Comerica tonight. Nice night, terrible team, another loss. Oh well.

RK