Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Yet another Mets jersey with problems...

Game used 2000 Rey Ordonez jersey on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rey-Ordonez-METS...d=p3286.c0.m14

This one appears to be one of the many correctly tagged Rawlings team issued blanks from the 2000-2001 era. We have seen many of these later customized as star players like Mike Piazza, John Franco, Al Leiter, etc. The tipoff is usually a "wrong size" (e.g. Piazza jerseys in size 42). This one is no exception, as Ordonez was not a size 40.
    The even bigger eyesore here is the NOB, because it would be the only Ordonez jersey of this era I have ever seen that is missing the "~" above the N in his last name -- which of course would be a detail that an after-market customizer would not concern himself with.

I have contacted the seller to inform him of this discrepancy, and he did reply promptly; however, days have gone by with no action (amendment to auction description, etc.) leading me to believe that he's just going to let it ride, hoping that it gets snatched up by someone unknowing.

By the way, the description notes that the jersey has already sold but the high bidder did not pay for it. Perhaps the high bidder realized that it is "not as described" before paying?

Re: Yet another Mets jersey with problems...

Another tip off is the cut size tag. I assume they were cut by the clubhouse staff before unloading so as to tell. It's on every one that I've ever seen.

Here's another problem. In the 2000 season every jersey was customized by Stitches. (Now Majestic does most of them) Stitches does not sew the numbers the way they have been sewn on that jersey. That jersey has every layer sewn on through the jersey. Stitches sews the numbers together and then sews them on the jersey. There shold only be one full line of sewing white or orange depending on the jersey and a lot of small lines of stitcheing where the shadow is in orange or black depending on the jersey. That jersey was sewn by someone other than Stitches and therefore could never have been worn in a game by Ordonez.

Nick,

This is the same seller who listed the issued gift Strawberry 86 reunion jersey as "game used". After I informed him he ended the listing but then told me not to email him anymore.

David

Metsfan808-this is important, how certain are you that Stitches doesn't double sew the numbers. I brought two jerseys to Stitches once and they couldn't gaurantee it was used but they were certain they made it. They had a formula for the distance between the bottom of the letter to the top of the number on the back. Along with a lady(from stitches) that sewed the 9-11-01 embroidery on the sleeve who said that was defintely her work-that jersey was double stitched on the numbers. The black was stitched and then the blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoboda4 View Post
    Metsfan808-this is important, how certain are you that Stitches doesn't double sew the numbers. I brought two jerseys to Stitches once and they couldn't gaurantee it was used but they were certain they made it. They had a formula for the distance between the bottom of the letter to the top of the number on the back. Along with a lady(from stitches) that sewed the 9-11-01 embroidery on the sleeve who said that was defintely her work-that jersey was double stitched on the numbers. The black was stitched and then the blue.
    Stitches heat presses all their numbers together and then sews the blue layer to the bottom layer. When they sew it on their should only be one outline of the number and then a stitch line where the drop shadow is like this:

If you look at that jersey every layer of the tackle twill looks like it is sewn on to the jersey

O.K. Mine does have the stitching like you said. I thought you meant heat pressed and one stitching visible,but yes, mine has two sets of stitching like yours. Let me show you, as mine is from the 2000 season in question. I have questions at the end of the photos,if you will.

I purchased this from B+E Collectibles. As soon as I got it I realized,and I mentioned this before,that the "tails" of the jersey were cut off and the jersey bottom sewn straight across. I believe I've seen this on another Ventura but has anyone else? Does anyone know Ventura size during this period?

I know if I am correct there was just one size of game issued blanks in 2001 size 44.Very nice Swoboda you now have 3 jerseys in your collection that I would kill for ..Here is the 2001 this jersey was offered to me as a Gamer but the C patch is missing and another red flag was the size.Metsfan had a Alfonzo 01 same size done at Stitches for his collection with the 9-11-01 embroidery.Here are photos of the Franco maybe he will post pics of his Alfonzo.Maybe Nick can chime in..

Scott,

I had a 2003 Franco with the "C" patch. It was a legit jersey and sized 44.

-David

No the jersey that was offered to me was missing the C patch..but it had the 9-11-01.Its a long story ill explain but not on the board....

As far as the Ventura a found a site and the site is offering a Game Issued Yankees 2002 sz 48 2+ length...

I did a search on the form Swoboda funny thing is when you purchased that jersey I had a question about that same jersey...