Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Colorado Rockies Fan-Fest 2012

The Rockies finally started heading in the right direction this year.

In the past, Fan Fest has been a Season Ticket holder ONLY event - unless you know someone with Season Tickets who would give you a Fan Fest ticket - and has been unavailable to the vast majority of Rockies Fans (it is estimated that of their Season Ticket Holders 25-35% are Corporate Tickets - if not more).

This year the Rockies have expanded Fan Fest from a one Saturday in January event to a two day weekend event in January with Saturday being the 'traditional' (this is the 4th Fan Fest) Season Ticket holder 'exclusive' event and adding Sunday as an 'open' event available to all.

Saturday January 21st is the 'exclusive' Season Ticket holder event. Tickets are free for Season Ticket holders who request them.

Sunday January 22nd is the 'open' public event. Tickets are $25 per person and all proceeds go to Rockies Charities.

I will be going to BOTH days through the generosity of friends who are Season Ticket holders who I have introduced to the Game Used hobby over the years.

If any other board members live in the Denver area and are going as well, let me know and maybe we can meet up.

All the best -

Smitty

Re: Colorado Rockies Fan-Fest 2012

Rockies Fest UPDATE:

Day One is in the books...

Gates opened at 9:30am... we went straight to the sale area where I bought 3 GU Balls (MLB Authenticated from a 2006 game against the Braves) for $10 ea, 2 laundry bags for $1 ea, a BBQ Set (aprong, tongs, etc) for $1, some base tags (the markers they put on the sides) for $1 ea, some Mother's Day and Father's Day jersey ribbons ($1 for the lot), a book for $1, a 2007 NLCS Champagne Bottle (Game 4 'sweep' celebration - MLB Authenticated) for $30 and the 'shirt of his back' from Tyler Colvin worn during today's event for $225.

Then off to get autographs... the Rockies Autograph sessions are 'blind draws' meaning you don't know who you are getting. Our 1st session (10:30) was Bettancourt and Jim Wright. I passed off my ticket and went and waited next door and got Giambi to sign the Game Issued Glove I picked up over the off-season.

Next session was at 11:30. Went downstairs and got the Minor Leaguers - Kent Matthes GU Bat, Tyler Matzek, Delta Cleary, etc. Went back up for the 11:30 AU Session - Jim Tracy and Matt Belisle. Passed again and went back for the next round or Minor Leaguers. Got Chad Bettis and Nolan Arenado. Arenado signed his GU bat and a ball for me and put 'AFL MVP' on both. He told me the GU bat is the FIRST AFL MVP inscription anyone has asked for from him.

Went and ate, checked out the Humidor again, went to the clubhouse where Keith Schulz (Equipment Mgr) gave me two more leather belts for my mannequins... saw my buddy Herb Shankman (played Minor Leagues in the 50's for the Braves) and to the dugout.

Back up for our last auto session (1:30pm - didn't have a 12:30 ticket) - Todd Helton. Got my 2011 Team Bat finished with him then we went to Mountain Ranch Club and they were letting un-ticketed people in for Cargo and Tyler Colvin! Got the Cargo Bobble Head signed - last one from last year's bobble heads needed signed - and got Tyler to sign the other batting glove from the pair he gave me last year when he was here with the Cubs. I told him I owned the jersey he was wearing and he asked 'but what if I wanted to keep it?' (It is his 1st Rockies issued Jersey)... my wife replied, 'You can come to our house and visit it anytime you want.' He laughed and said he really liked that response.

Then we wen back to the store... it had been picked through... checked out a few more things and then went to Cheesecake Factory.

Pics will be posted soon...

Tomorrow - Day Two... coming soon...

- Smitty

Curious, the jersey you bought was just worn today or in an actual mlb game?

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    Curious, the jersey you bought was just worn today or in an actual mlb game?
    Worn today. All proceeds go to Rockies Charities.

The Rockies just traded Ian Stewart to the Cubs for Colvin and DJ LeMahieu so the jersey could not have been worn in an actual game.

Before purchasing the jersey I talked to Aaron Heinrich - the guy who signs all of the Rockies LOAs for their GU/Issued/Signed items - and he verified this is the 1st Jersey the Rockies had made for Colvin and MLB is certifying the fact they were worn for Rockies Fest 2012.

Tomorrow, the players will be wearing the NEW Road Grey Rockies Jerseys (solid grey like back in 1993 - NO purple pinstripes).

The BIG names - Helton, Giambi, Tulo, Cargo, Cuddyer - were $500, the 2nd tier - Jim Tracy, Fowler, etc - were $350 and the rest - Colvin, Pacheco, Rosario, etc were $225.

They didn't offer the Minor Leaguers jerseys or I probably would have asked for Arenado's.

Hope this answers your questions fully!

- Smitty

Ah,to live in Denver...I might of actually bought the road Giambi lol...Have fun on day 2 Chris....and did Giambi have anything to say about the glove?

Joe
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...always looking for game-used JASON GIAMBI equipment!

Quote Originally Posted by 2000mvpfan View Post
    Ah,to live in Denver...I might of actually bought the road Giambi lol...Have fun on day 2 Chris....and did Giambi have anything to say about the glove?

Joe
    Joe -

Happy Sunday! Just got up, about to shower and head down for Day 2...

I'm just sent you an eMail with my cell #...

Anyway, we 1st saw Jason in the hall and when he saw me, he stopped for e a brief second and greeted me - checked out the 2009 SkySox jersey (yes, I wore it to Rockies Fest) - shook my hand and gave me a fist bump when he left...

I didn't have a ticket for his session, but I knew the Rockies staff working the door and when i showed them the glove, they made an exception and let me in... Jason smiled when he saw the glove - asked where I got - I told him from a former Visiting Clubhouse attendant at Yankees Stadium that claimed Jason had given him the glove. I told him I know it wasn't Game Used, but he did say he kind of remembered it and was glad it was now in my collection. He signed it, took a photo with me and then said he promises to get me some Batting Gloves this year.

Look forward to hearing from you and seeing if we can't make something happen on the Road jersey for you today!

All the best -

Smitty

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Jason smiled when he saw the glove - asked where I got - I told him from a former Visiting Clubhouse attendant at Yankees Stadium that claimed Jason had given him the glove. I told him I know it wasn't Game Used, but he did say he kind of remembered it and was glad it was now in my collection. He signed it, took a photo with me and then said he promises to get me some Batting Gloves this year.
    This is great man, I love hearing about stories of players seeing their GU gear. It's great to have that kind of contact. Makes the item that much more special too you.

Have fun at the fan fest. If you can obtain another game used, mlb authenticated ball, I would like to purchase one from you with a reasonable profit for your trouble. I can be reached at msgtbaumann@yahoo.com if you are able to make it happen.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Klattsy View Post
    This is great man, I love hearing about stories of players seeing their GU gear. It's great to have that kind of contact. Makes the item that much more special too you.
    +1.
    As an example,I recently brought 2 game used bats to be signed at a 1983 Phillies reunion show.Bob Molinaro had a huge smile on his face as I walked up to him,saying "Ah...now here comes an old one!!".Both he and the handler were amazed when I told him it was from his MiLB days as an Evansville Triplet in 1976.
    The other bat,however,was signed without even a glance up at me...the signer:Mike Schmidt.Now I know Schmitty's seen a lot more of his gamers than Molinaro has,but sheesh,not even a word...

Joe
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...always looking for game-used JASON GIAMBI equipment!

Quote Originally Posted by 2000mvpfan View Post
    The other bat,however,was signed without even a glance up at me...the signer:Mike Schmidt.Now I know Schmitty's seen a lot more of his gamers than Molinaro has,but sheesh,not even a word...

Joe
    I know how you feel Joe. I have had 3 items signed by Aussie guys here in Australia, Scott Wearne was great with his Brockton Rox jersey, Justin Huber was litterally lost for words when I took his Futures Game helmet, but Brad Harman who signed one of his bats for me did not say anything. I think he holds a bit of a grudge against baseball because of his suspension, but then why play? They also lost the game that I got him at on some dodgy umpiring. Plus I made him come back to the dugout from the 1st base line as he was walking off...OK, starting to make sense now.

Looking forward to seeing pics from the Rockies fan fest...