Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Players' Politics and Religion

that is why i like and admire roberto clemente. he was the same on the field as well as off. i have known his wife for years and she has told me what a great man he was; husband, father, humanitarian. that is what made him a superstar, well, in my eyes anyway.

I think it's great that everyone has shown such restraint and maturity with this issue. It is a tribute to the forum.

I honestly don't care about a person's religious or political views. If Yunel Escobar or Jeff Francoeur comes out as a Communist or a devout Muslim but hits .310 and helps the Braves win the Series, more power to him. If his thoughts and feelings on religion or politics give him strength and makes him a better Baseball player than I'm happy for both him and I.

I dumped my OJ Simpson rookie card in 1994 however as I refuse to have anything associated with a murderer. Coincidentally, I got more for it then than I could ever have before or since.

As has been said before, isn't America great? We can all disagree and yet still co-exist.

I do however prescribe to the "Kept they opinions and beliefs to thyself" mantra. It's none of my business.

[quote=gingi79;84639]

I dumped my OJ Simpson rookie card in 1994 however as I refuse to have anything associated with a murderer.

quote]

+1

[quote=Vintagedeputy;84646]
    Quote Originally Posted by gingi79 View Post

I dumped my OJ Simpson rookie card in 1994 however as I refuse to have anything associated with a murderer.

quote]

+1
    Deputy, I agree with you 500 % as I know just how you feel. It's probably only a matter of time however before someone comes on here and reminds you that he was aquitted.

Banned

I thought OJ was found not-guilty! Doesn't that mean he is not a murderer! Man, I shouldn't have openned my mouth!

Frik,

I have had the chance to meet Lance Berkman personally. I actually was at the flag football game at Second Baptist Church in Houston when he busted his knee prior to the 2005 season. Even though I differ in regards to how I spread my opinions and views on life, I personally don't have a problem with his choice to do that! In fact, I think his ability to be opinionated on any given subject and convey that in such a public way is what he deserves for not having any privacy. Sure, they make a lot of money, but for that money comes never being able to go to the store, restaurant, movies, a walk in the park, on vacation, travel in an airplane, or anything else without being disturbed, accosted, or get an autograph request.

Lance is a great ball player, devoted father and husband, role model, and great teammate. He spends a great amount of time along with his wife, Cara, on charity efforts with multiple organizations. There are many collected ball players that have affairs while on road trips, date or marry strippers, are alcoholics, or use drugs. Again, even though I disagree with some of the things people say or do, I would rather player be outspoken about his religious beliefs then be a loser!

All in all, I agree that we live in awesome society! We can agrue, disagree, agree, or whatever. We also can make decisions on what we collect! I happen to be a huge Berkman collector because of what he does on the field. Just my 2 cents!

Thanks,

I am surprised that this hasn't gotten out of hand, or maybe nobody has taken the bait. I know that Frik isn't trying to start anything but it seems that any time politics, religion, and people's mamas get brought up it could get out of hand pretty quick.

I agree that the conversation has stayed very mature. I have seen far more trivial things discussed here and watched them get way out of hand very quickly... so kudos to the members of GUU who have contributed.

On a very similar note, I noticed that someone listed a Jose Offerman bat on ebay tonight. Now, he's someone I definitely would never add to my personal collection, despite his having spent time with my Mets... His recent behavior on the field was inexcusable... and as a father of young boys who are involved with team sports, I make a conscious choice not to collect someone whose actions on the field portray everything I teach my boys not to be (athletes are role models whether they like it or not). By collecting his memorabilia (in my opinion), I would be making the statement that I condone his actions.

This thread is turning into a political debate that has no benefit to the collecting community. I deleted a number of posts this morning, and I'm now locking the thread. If you wish to discuss your political or religious views, find another forum.

Thanks!

Rob