Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 HOF Class

Re: 2009 HOF Class

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    Blyleven and Dawson missing out is not right. They deserve it. I would have thought Raines would have scored higher too.

Not saying I thought he would be in, but also thought Raines votes would have been higher.
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Larkin has no chance of getting, Im sorry guys.

You really cant compare Bagwell with Thome. The fact is, when people get older, they move to DH. Thome is still playing, Bagwell is not. Thome is still hitting 30+ HR's every year. Bagwell was done in 2005?, not playing? Thome is still playing having decent numbers, DH or not. Its not like hes played DH his whole career. David Ortiz on the other hand, will have no chance because he only plays DH.

I loved Bagwell, but just no chance. If you put him in, why not Juan Roidzalez? He was a good defender too with good homerun power. Very compariable to Bagwell.

Quote Originally Posted by ndevlin View Post

You really cant compare Bagwell with Thome. The fact is, when people get older, they move to DH. Thome is still playing, Bagwell is not. Thome is still hitting 30+ HR's every year. Bagwell was done in 2005?, not playing? Thome is still playing having decent numbers, DH or not. Its not like hes played DH his whole career. David Ortiz on the other hand, will have no chance because he only plays DH.

I loved Bagwell, but just no chance. If you put him in, why not Juan Roidzalez? He was a good defender too with good homerun power. Very compariable to Bagwell.

Nate- i may be showing some bias, but what makes you think Larkin has no chance?

Quote Originally Posted by skyking26 View Post
    one Thought We All Have To Keep In Mind Here - The Hof Is Supposed To Be About Greatness. The Top Of The Crop. A System Of Election By Guys That Never Played The Game On A Professional Level (sportswriters) Is Somewhat Strange To Begin With.... Their Association Is That They "wrote About It......."
    Oddly enough, the BBWAA has only made two egregiously bad choices: Catfish Hunter and Jim Rice.

The Veterans Committee, on the other hand....
    Looking for Duane Kuiper home run baseballs

Quote Originally Posted by AWA85 View Post
    Nate- i may be showing some bias, but what makes you think Larkin has no chance?

Haha, I know, I know. I guess I shouldnt say he doesnt have a chance. More like I personally dont believe he will get in.

Dont get me wrong, I really liked Larkin. I thought he was a good player, but not great. He just wasnt a player that gave me that spark when he was on the field.

I also know sometimes people have a different take on players when they watched them growing up, or were able to see them play live in their area. It kind of gives you a different aspect to the player.

Its hit and miss with the HOF. Some players arent worthy of it and get in, some are and get crapped on.

Quote Originally Posted by ndevlin View Post

DH is a joke. Some of these guys would be retired if they were not playing DH. Would that you could remove the DH numbers from that person's stats, because it's not a true position and it's bad for the game of baseball. Bagwell did the right thing by walking away from the game and retiring as an Astro than he would have done for an AL team as DH.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    DH is a joke. Some of these guys would be retired if they were not playing DH. Would that you could remove the DH numbers from that person's stats, because it's not a true position and it's bad for the game of baseball. Bagwell did the right thing by walking away from the game and retiring as an Astro than he would have done for an AL team as DH.

Frik, I know we all feel strongly about certain players... but didn't Bagwell walk away from the game because of health? If I remember he left in his late 30's and his numbers were beginning to fall?

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    I dont even think Bagwell could have played DH. He was having trouble at the plate and was time to go. So I dont think DH was an option.

.......health trouble that is.

Quote Originally Posted by AWA85 View Post
    Frik, I know we all feel strongly about certain players... but didn't Bagwell walk away from the game because of health? If I remember he left in his late 30's and his numbers were beginning to fall?
    That's true, but I just don't understand why certain arbitrary milestones mean so much in the game of baseball. In the prime of his career, Bagwell compares to any of the other people you're talking about.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408