Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast
    Banned

Re: Miami Dolphins Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    Jim:

GREAT older Dolphins piece. 1969 was only their 4th year of existence.

Dave Miedema
    Thanx Dave.

The tags on my jersey had me a little miffed. I've attached a tag from a Milt Plum Rams jersey. The Sand-Knit tag is dated mid to late 1960's by the gold ribbon and gold size designation. Milt played for the Rams in 1968.

My jersey has "American Football Conference" while the Plum jersey has "National Football Conference". The two leagues merged in 1970 and they became the National Football League - American Football Conference and National Football Conference with Pete Rozelle the commissioner of both leagues. I've seen AFL footballs with Pete Rozelle on them - in 1969 the Chiefs in Super Bowl IV used AFL footballs with Rozelle on the football.

I guess the two leagues finalized the merger in 1970 but manufacturers started making changes to how they labeled equipment earlier?

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2012 Aqua Jake Long

1989 Cliff Stoudt

Quote Originally Posted by Hoshal13 View Post
    1999 Team Issued Marino PSA authenticated
    Love the Marino's!

2013 Derrick Shelby. Photo matched the shoulder to September 22nd game against the Atlanta Falcons
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Picked this up. I'm a big bills collector, but even though its a dolphins jersey, I still thought it was cool!!

Gobills will you email me? Woody1351@Hotmail.com

Anyone know if this is a retail helmet or a players helmet. Logo looks to be from 1989-96:

Quote Originally Posted by kudu View Post
    Anyone know if this is a retail helmet or a players helmet. Logo looks to be from 1989-96:

I think those were youth helmets from back in the day - probably mid- to late-1970s - and designed for the youngest level of pop warner (2nd-3rd-4th grade use). Riddell made a version of the PAC-3 called the PAC-44 for the older levels of pop warner and middle school (i.e. 5th through 8th grade). High schools used the same models as colleges and pros. It seems like they started making youth helmets with padding closer to the "varsity" models by the 1980s.

These old Riddell youth helmets were popping up on ebay - sometimes unused - 3-5 years ago. Probably someone bought out a sporting goods warehouse and sold them as display models. This one does look like it was game used and then had the Dolphins decals added.

Quote Originally Posted by John in KY View Post
    I think those were youth helmets from back in the day - probably mid- to late-1970s - and designed for the youngest level of pop warner (2nd-3rd-4th grade use). Riddell made a version of the PAC-3 called the PAC-44 for the older levels of pop warner and middle school (i.e. 5th through 8th grade). High schools used the same models as colleges and pros. It seems like they started making youth helmets with padding closer to the "varsity" models by the 1980s.

These old Riddell youth helmets were popping up on ebay - sometimes unused - 3-5 years ago. Probably someone bought out a sporting goods warehouse and sold them as display models. This one does look like it was game used and then had the Dolphins decals added.
    OK. Thanks for the info. I couldn't find this style padding in a Dolphins helmet, so I wasn't sure.