Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite item that isn't "worth" much

True collectors aren't concerned with dollar signs. They have no intention of selling their prized items. Regardless of dollar value, some of these one-of-a-kind items cannot be replaced. What are a few that you guys own?

For me, since I collect stuff from the USFL Houston Gamblers, I can list several. An original locker name plate given to me by the player -- which would probably get me ten dollars on eBay... Where would I ever find another one of those? Then there's an original embroidered Gamblers logo patch that was worn on team blazer siuts -- can anyone say rare, and worth ten bucks on eBay?

I think you guys get the idea!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Re: Your favorite item that isn't "worth" much

Two favorites are my 2001 Chidi Iwuoma Detroit Lions jersey and my Chris Clapinski game used bat. These two items were given to me by each former player so that always make it a little more special.

I'm starting to think my entire collection fits under this description...

I got a pro model bat from a single-A guy (Derrick Robinson) a few yrs ago. He had just cracked it; I looked into the dugout and he handed it to me without me saying anything. No name on the bat, not from anybody famous, not really worth anything.

But I still remember it. And I carry the bat with me everywhere. Actually came in handy when my deadbolt broke and I had to break into my own house.

The book Red and Me signed by Bill Russell. I have my copy and my dad's. My dad was taken from me last year by Lung Cancer and the book signing we went to and met Mr. Russell was my last "Mens night out with my Dad"

They are personalized and might sell for $10. Priceless to me.

(If want to read my articulate and amazing recount of the evening, the highlight of my dad's last year on earth, it's in this thread, post 13)

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...hlight=rooster
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Mine would have to be my Julio Borbon game used bat and my first J.R. Towles game used bat.

Julio Borbon is an LVS M9 without his name, but this was my first bat. Julio came over to me when he was on deck (I was first seat next to the dugout during a Triple A game in 2009), and just started talking, so I asked if he had any extra bats, and he said he can check. Then he goes up to bat, and cracks his bat (just a hair line crack). Then when he gets in the dugout, he looks at me, walks straight to me and hands me the bat.

J.R. Towles is an LVS C271S Astros bat. Name on it. He gave it to me on his way out of the stadium after an AAA game in 2009. Completely uncracked. He did not tell me to meet him after the game. I was just waiting to get some autographs, then he came out, and asked me who had asked him for a bat a few days ago, then I told him I did, and he said he will check, but didn't think he had any. He came back out with a totally uncracked bat, and signed it for me. I have collected him since.

Banned

I still have a personalized signed baseball with get well wishes from former Cubs coach Matt Sinatro. Ballpark buddy Joe McCarthy got it for me in 2007 when I was having after effects of my second kidney transplant.

Dave Miedema

Quote Originally Posted by gingi79 View Post
    The book Red and Me signed by Bill Russell. I have my copy and my dad's. My dad was taken from me last year by Lung Cancer and the book signing we went to and met Mr. Russell was my last "Mens night out with my Dad"

(If want to read my articulate and amazing recount of the evening, the highlight of my dad's last year on earth, it's in this thread, post 13)

Loved the story, thank you for sharing it.

Quote Originally Posted by gingi79 View Post

Gingi -

Your story hit a chord with me. My father's name is DJ Smith. When I 1st saw a card of DJ Smith the NHL player, I started buying them and sending them to my dad as a joke. He thought it was funny and it became a running joke.

Well, DJ Smith (The NHL player) came to the Colorado Avalanche and the Avs had one of his GU jerseys in the pro shop - $600.00! OUCH!

When they 1st went on strike (the lost season) they had it for $450.00, then $375.00, then they removed ALL Av's gear when the NHL Season was completely cancelled.

We were at Pepsi Center for a Colorado Mammoth (NLL - Indoor LaCrosse) game and I see this AV's jersey folded up in the case. I ask, and it's the DJ Smith jersey... now $125.00. I bought it.

I was going to take it to my dad that following March when I went to Tucson and Phoenix for Spring Training. My dad passed that January - never knew I had the jersey for him.

It's still in my collection - maybe it would bring more than the $10 stories - but it's priceless to me and will stay in my collection forever.

- Smitty

P.S. - My apologies to those who have heard me discuss this jersey before for the rehash.

In Spring Training lets say 2006 I was given Angel Pagan's bat from the dugout. It was the second bat I was ever given in person (after a Barry Bonds Sam Bat), but not knowing the player at the time, I instantly wanted to follow his career. When he broke through to the bigs, I was ecstatic and amazed that this random player had made it. When he came to SF with the mets, I had him sign the bat 4 years later. He picked it up and was interested in its roots. The bat is probably worth like 25 bucks but I've loved following the careers of people I acquire game used items from.
    Thanks,
    Bobby

lehmsbobby@yahoo.com

4th of July in 2005, was at the Mets-Nationals game at RFK Stadium...Caught my first-ever foul ball. John Patterson was pitching, Marlon Anderson fouled it off.

Caught the ball on the fly and everyone cheered, ever though I was wearing a Mets' jersey.