Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: 3rd Party Selling Game Used

I think the baseball model is the best in the business as far as making sure stuff is authentic and the approach the league itself has taken to the hobby. I do think though with that awareness though, comes what you guys are talking about as far as over saturation. Probably a double edged sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Chess2899 View Post

MLB will destroy the game used market just as card companies destroyed the card market by overproducing what was deemed "rare" at the time.

Now if you want to play a waiting game, you will see cheap sell-offs over the next few years.

I don't see investments rising for the new young players because MLB is looking for fast cash just like those card companies.

Joe
    sentefjoemd@aol.com
    Maddux/Griffey/Brett/Schmidt/Carlton/Rose game used collector
    Right on the mark!

Quote Originally Posted by Chess2899 View Post
    Now if you want to play a waiting game, you will see cheap sell-offs over the next few years. Those $5000 jerseys may sell for $2000 on ebay because of financial woes causes by today's and tomorrows economy and unemployment which will cause providers for their families to forego collecting pleasure. You can't feed kids with a jersey.
    I agree that you will always find items cheaper as time goes on as long as a new supply continues to show up in the market which I think mlb will continue to do but that is with any item in terms of initial excitement high prices and then as it becomes more normal the price will drop and then prices will go back up as milestones and hof consideration are met.

When I got involved in buying gu items I realized from the start that only people with money to spend on these types of items got involved so I had to realize that I would be outspent on certain items and that I wouldn't be able to buy everything I wanted because somebody would probably have more purchasing power then I would. So saying that I also feel that what drives up initial prices is that fact that you have wealthy people who both want the item and that once all of that demand is met you are going to get lower price points because now you are so to speak selling to a different group of people with lower financial power then the initial group who pushed prices to a point that were never accurate for that specific item to begin with it was more desire based on lots of financial power to fill that desire then actual worth and investment opportunity so I think when we see prices drop they are probably dropping to the price they should have always been valued at not the price they were selling for

Quote Originally Posted by Phil316 View Post
    As someone stated in another thread this game used collecting if it keeps going the way it is it could very well end up like the sports card market.
    I've been saying this for a few years now, which is why my collection is getting smaller, and focusing on key pieces (quality vs quantity). If you need a true indicator look at Peyton Manning and the fact that he wears like 3 jerseys per quarter

These are fantastic collectibles, but you can see how the hobby is trending up, which means prices will spike, level off, the drop like a rock.
    WTB -
    Rob Gronkowski GU / GI jerseys
    Patriots GU / GI red throwback or silver jerseys
    Jose Canseco A's GU jersey

Maybe it will effect those who are buying from the sale list that are sent out from the teams and then re-selling on Ebay for triple price.
    You know the flippers who gobble up the good deals before the true collectors get a chance to buy them.
    You know who you are.

I'll kind of get off track and touch on my opinion with teams as well as 3rd party.

Steiner and Meigray both will work with you if you are repeat customers. Also, I have had nothing but top notch service from both sides.

The thing is I don't mind paying $1K for a jersey that was worn at home games for 2 months rather than $600 for one series or game.

Thing to look for is players do have they favorite jerseys and are superstitious, a chris johnson sold on ebay last night and congrats to the owner jersey looked worn for half the season. There are heavy use jerseys still out there with one game jerseys wore in between. Off sport but I seen many big name football players last year during the national anthem with thrashed jerseys so obviously multiple game use.

There are teams out there that still that I hope don't join in the flood mix at least from what I see-Dodgers, Angels, Cards, Rockies, Indians, Marlins, white sox, padres (looks to change this season) Rays (i like how the rays program works), maybe a couple others. From my expierence unless you are at the game you aren't getting dodgers,cards,or angels items and an occasional mlb auctions siting.

Tigers - out of control with flooding but I respect they start all there auctions at .99 no reserve usually besides miggy and fair customer service

Orioles- crazy prices, andruw has great customer service but 500$ for a markakis and still hasn't hit reserve. If you hit the right time you can get a longo for that

red sox- I believe they didn't have many reserves either but a lot of items from last year still don't seem to surface once purchased

Cubs- flood central last season on jerseys, unrealistic prices for one game jerseys,
    decent customer service

Anyone else want to add their team and thoughts?

jbean023- I don't take offense to anything you said and I tend to agree with you. The initial offering is trying to get a feel for the prices. The value of an item is only what someone is willing to pay for it. I am actively working on adjusting the prices to real world value and we will see where it goes from there. I have gotten really good reception to my feedback from everyone in the program and I am hoping with my touch it can be a third party program that is run similar to a direct from the team program. There is a lot of interest in getting this right and expanding to other teams. I am a collector first and always will be. I make plenty of money through the Navy so this job isn't about money for me. I have the hopes of buying an item or two through the program too.
    Russell Wuerffel
    Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
    lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by jbean023 View Post
    Hi,

I think 3rd party sellers are going to have tough time with game used in the upcoming years(economic predictions of inflation starting to increase and 35% unemployment by the end of 2016)

Just wondering collectors thoughts?
    If there is ever 35% unemployment rate in the U.S., there likely won't be any sport teams for players to wear jerseys for...