Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gaylord Perry Padres lettering?

In the current grey flannel auction

Lot # 49 - 1978 Gaylord Perry San Diego Padres Game-Used Road Jersey (Cy Young Season)

http://greyflannelauctions.com/showd...ryNum=2&Lot=49

I'd love to hear some opinions on the lettering in the word Padres and the collar customization from any Padres or Gaylord Perry experts.

Name:  aperry.jpg
Views: 2008
Size:  36.5 KB

Name:  gfperry.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  42.0 KB
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Re: Gaylord Perry Padres lettering?

Also, please look at this photo

Check out the collar customization on Perry and the player "Rasmussen" behind Gaylord. Looks like the name is not on a nameplate

Name:  perryback.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  46.4 KB

Name:  perryback2.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  96.2 KB

this was a one-year only style worn in 1978.

rudy.

It is also missing the 1978 All-Star game patch on the left arm.

it's my personal opinion that the thing is a complete restoration. "san diego" is wrong, "padres" is wrong and even the numbers are wrong. the fonts for all of them aren't even close.

apparently these were recycled to the minors and so it's very difficult to find an original. perhaps someone found one that had been recycled to the minors, hence the removal of the patch (why would the major league team remove the patch if they weren't planning on using them again in 1979? the only reason i can think of is to recycle them through the minors) and decided to turn it into a gaylord perry.

i'd like to know more about nick coppola's discerning eye.

rudy.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Also, please look at this photo

Check out the collar customization on Perry and the player "Rasmussen" behind Gaylord. Looks like the name is not on a nameplate

Attachment 8484
    The Padres used nameplates on all the brown and gold era jerseys. Eric Rassmussen was traded to the Padres during the ’78 season is one of those unique instances when (for whatever reason) the Padres did not use a nameplate. I had seen the Rassmussen in an auction and did not bid on it for that very reason. Unfortunately, I found that same Corbis picture a month or so afterwards.

Nothing on this Perry jersey is correct. Fonts for the numbers, San Diego, Padres, Perry and flag tag are completely wrong. Even the rip of the collar shows no sign of wear, as you can see in the previous photos of Gaylord. The Padres recycled jersey through the minors during the ’70’s and early ’80’s. If this had been one, there would have been a marking on the Wilson tag with a black maker.

Stay away!
    R. C. Walker
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

treborreklaw@hotmail.com

Banned

A bit shocked that no one picked up on the incorrect Wilson tag. Post 1980+ on a 1978 jersey?

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

I have tried to locate old posts about Winfield Padres jerseys from this same era. Does anyone recall the Winfields that showed up on eBay and some auction houses? They had very similar problems as this Perry (fonts, tagging, etc.) They were said to have hand cut lettering and numbers. They didn't appear to be altered authentic replicas or mitchell&Nesses with changed tags. Can someone jog my memory?

Eric
    Thanks. Memory jogged. Seems this Winfield has the same issues as the Perry. Same Seamstress? The World may never know.