Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Why do people collect Phil Plantier and Matt Nokes stuff??

I think it’s about feeling a connection to and appreciate for a particular player. That's why I collect Jim Abbott. We are from the same town and about the same age. I began to hear about the guy when he was in junior high. He attended the University of Michigan (I'm an alum) and he played for Team USA for two summers which is probably why I now have over 25 Team USA jerseys.

It was mentioned earlier, to each his own. That’s the beauty of collecting, you can customize your collection for you and no one else. Great thread.
    Russ - Always on the lookout for Jim Abbott, Team USA and Detroit Tigers GU.

I love it. Great enthusiam for teams, players, sports. Thank you so much for your stories. I get it.

Always enjoyed watching Matt Nokes play (even for the Tigers) and in all of my collecting rarely come across anything from him game used from his Yankee days. Today's stars (and their agents/representatives) seel their stuff so there are tons of available, which is great for us hobbyists, but for me to get something that is a bit more scare from one of your favorite players from yestyear is a thrill. My other favorite Yankees to collect that I have at least something (unlike Nokes) from are Ramiro Mendoza and Gerald Williams, neither of whom achieved stardom in the majors.

Great discussion topic!

Banned

[quote=eisenreich8;183933]I have collected Jim Eisenreich for about 12 years as he is an inspiration to others with his history of facing down and defeating adversity, playing through it and sharing his time with similarly-afflicted kids (Tourette Syndrome). He is very humble and modest, a true gentleman, and I am thrilled to have met him. He never performed at a "star" level, but is popular with fans and was a steady presence throughout his 15 year career.

Although I don't collect him, I am a fan of Eisenreich, as well. I was diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome in grade school (one of the first diagnosed cases in Illinois back in the 1960s), and I was fortunate to get the right meds for this quickly. I still take the medication, and, outside of the occasional cursing torrent, the meds have kept it in check.

I recall a BP at Wrigley when Jim was with the Marlins. Looking to play catch, and with no teammates in the immediate area, he began playing catch with bleacher and family section fans, making each throw to a different fan (I was one of 'em) and getting it back to throw to another fan. Great guy, and I'm glad his early struggles with the Twins didn't derail him permanently.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

[quote=sox83cubs84;184069]
    Quote Originally Posted by eisenreich8 View Post
    I have collected Jim Eisenreich for about 12 years as he is an inspiration to others with his history of facing down and defeating adversity, playing through it and sharing his time with similarly-afflicted kids (Tourette Syndrome). He is very humble and modest, a true gentleman, and I am thrilled to have met him. He never performed at a "star" level, but is popular with fans and was a steady presence throughout his 15 year career.

Although I don't collect him, I am a fan of Eisenreich, as well. I was diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome in grade school (one of the first diagnosed cases in Illinois back in the 1960s), and I was fortunate to get the right meds for this quickly. I still take the medication, and, outside of the occasional cursing torrent, the meds have kept it in check.

I recall a BP at Wrigley when Jim was with the Marlins. Looking to play catch, and with no teammates in the immediate area, he began playing catch with bleacher and family section fans, making each throw to a different fan (I was one of 'em) and getting it back to throw to another fan. Great guy, and I'm glad his early struggles with the Twins didn't derail him permanently.

Dave M.
    Chicago area
    Dave!

That is a great story. Thanks for sharing that. Have met the man twice, I have to say, he is a shy, quiet, kinda naive type of guy. I have a hard time picturing him, Daulton, Kruk, and Dykstra all in the same clubhouse together.......Eisenreich is also a devout Christian.

I am afflicted with occasional cursing torrents but I blame it on my wild Irish heritage.

Does anyone else have a personal connection to share/reason to collect a "less than star" player?

I grew up 5 doors down from Richie Hebner (who was years older than I) but his GU items were always impossible to find. He once told me "if you ever see anything of mine on eBay, it's a fake!". He must be right, b/c no GU item of his, as far as I know has appeared there since I've been looking, 1998.

I did just buy his home and road manager's jerseys from the Frederick Keys.

Quote Originally Posted by Toowon View Post
    I've been collecting for years, and all my favorites are stars. When I go to the items wanted and see people who are desperately looking for a Phil Plantier bat, I am honestly puzzled. Why collect no names? I know you guys are out there, and I'm not trying to be funny, but who wants this stuff?

As a matter of fact I collect all things related to Phil Plantier. I followed his career since his days in Pawtucket and have 15 of his game used bats-one from every major league team he played for except the A's so its my white whale(but I do have a Cardinals bat), his rookie home jersey from Boston, his last jersey from the Blue Jays when he got released in spring training, a Pawtucket Red Sox game worn jersey,a game used glove, a pair of his high top cleats, numerous posters and over 300 different cards, and a whole slew of other items so maybe I am a bit obsessed but like the previous poster said to each his own. And please let me know when you come across the Oakland A's bat.

You know, I can't stop thinking about this thread...

One of the bats thats made me the happiest last year was $40 or so from BPH... U.L. Washington... I barely remember him from my childhood, but I was SO excited to pick up his bat. And as I think about it, all I can really remember is he was 1) a great double-play partner for Frank White, 2) had a afro sticking out of his ball cap and 3) played SS and most of his at bats with a toothpick in his mouth... I remember sneaking a toothpick onto the baseball field as a 10yo and getting lectured to death by the umpire about 3 innings later...

check out the toothpick here... haaaaaa I love it!

Baseball is filled with characters... And you have to appreciate them all for their differences.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by obpercent1 View Post
    As a matter of fact I collect all things related to Phil Plantier. I followed his career since his days in Pawtucket and have 15 of his game used bats-one from every major league team he played for except the A's so its my white whale(but I do have a Cardinals bat), his rookie home jersey from Boston, his last jersey from the Blue Jays when he got released in spring training, a Pawtucket Red Sox game worn jersey,a game used glove, a pair of his high top cleats, numerous posters and over 300 different cards, and a whole slew of other items so maybe I am a bit obsessed but like the previous poster said to each his own. And please let me know when you come across the Oakland A's bat.

Please shoot me an email about a Plantier jersey I have available for sale. 04redsox@bellsouth.net. Thanks! Joe

Quote Originally Posted by eisenreich8 View Post
    Please shoot me an email about a Plantier jersey I have available for sale. 04redsox@bellsouth.net. Thanks! Joe

Email sent

I collect Rod Barajas, we became fans of his when he came to the Jays. Always great calling a game, and great defensively. And still quite a bit of pop offensively (19 HR last year). Still an unsigned free agent this year though??

We went to a team meet and greet last year and he picked up my 3 yr old daughter and let us all get a family photo with him, a class act, after the event we actually met him out on the sidewalk outside of the stadium, we were all in our Barajas shirts, even the 3 yr old, Rod greeted us again, then said to the guy with him "these guys have the best shirts in town"

I have one GU bat each from his MLB stops: Arizona, Texas, and Philadelphia, plus two from Toronto, including last year's Mother's Day Pink LS (both Toronto ones photo matched)

My most recent pickup was his '09 batting helmet, pounded with use, and photo matched.

A player doesn't have to be a superstar to have a fan base, really, it's sometimes more fun and unique I think to follow the non-superstar.