Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Purchase Foul or HR Ball in the stands

I tried this a few times in the late 70's & early 80's. I was able to buy a few homerun balls at Yankee & Shea Stadium. My favorite was a Reggie Jackson homerun in July 1979 against Oakland. I was about to approach the man who caught the ball who was about 10 rows in front of me when he suddenly turned around, held the ball up in the air & offerred to sell the ball. I offerred $10 but he asked for $20. I started to walk away so he took the $10. I had Reggie sign the ball 12 years later & asked if he remembered the homerun but he did not. I also picked up a Schmidt & Kingman at Shea Stadium along with a few others.

Banned

Although I've been turned down many times, as well, I've picked up home runs or foul balls from people for everything from cash ($20 is my standard opening offer) to BP baseballs (anywhere from 2 to 4 for 1) to a beer and a hot dog for a guy and his date (Richie Sexson Indians at Comiskey Park).

As far as jerseys go, a 1987 Robin Yount home Brewers gamer was raffled off on Fan Appreciation Night, old County Stadium, in 1987. The winner was about ten sections down, and I offered him $200 for it. The guy couldn't grab the money fast enough. Problem was, I made the mistake of mentioning it in my old SCD column. At the same event in 1988, several copycats imitated my request, some of whom had more to spend than I did.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Buyer beware though ... as you all know. But usually you can tell by looking at the person. I knew a guy in the stands that was slicker than axle grease and would sell the same home run or foul ball or BP HR to five different people. And he did it a lot of times within a series when a big name was in town.

I am a 500 home run game used collector. After Manny was traded to the Dodgers last year, I was VERY interested in obtaining one of his game used items that was available......um......that would ONLY be a home run ball hit into the seats.

So....I came up with a plan. I pre-typed "Letter of Affidavits" with all the facts of the game (date, teams, location-Dodger Stadium, starting pitchers, etc.) and put the facts of what number Manny's home run would be....if he were to hit it that night/day. OH....and there were lines typed in at the bottom for "witnesses" who I had fill in their contact info. Iron-clad, baby! I also tried to obtain the ticket stub from the fan who caught the ball as part of the agreement to sell me the ball(s). That of course added to the provenance too.

Well, I ended up buying three. In all three cases, I paid OVER $1,000.00 each. The most expensive one was a milestone tying monster, and I actually had to go toe-to-toe with Dodger brass to get my hands on that one. It's a real interesting story, and after I document it in writing, I'll post it here for you all to read. That one, I paid several thousands for, because I had to battle a couple of other "players" who were interested in the very same ball.

But after all, these are well documented, authentic Manny Ramirez home runs. In all three cases, there is a video of the ball going into the seats, and all of the recipients I purchased the balls from can be seen on MLB footage. I took pictures of the balls, the fans who caught them, and the letters of affidavits at the game.

It's very gratifying knowing you have preserved for the ages a few nice pieces of authentic baseball history for future collectors to own....if desired.

At Manny's first signing in Los Angeles, I will be sure to have him sign each ball on the sweetspot.....and I will NOT tell him what they are until after he signs them. I have learned, over the years from attending signings.....when a major player learns you have something special, or valuable of their, they will do one of two things:

- ask for much more to sign it, because they know they can get it;

- outright refuise to sign it, if they have an attitude about their perceived belief "How do I know that's what you claim it is?"

On second thought, I may not even tell him AFTER he signs them.....why stir the pot. It may just make things more difficult for other collectors in the future in regards to his attitude towards these kinds of items.

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    - ask for much more to sign it, because they know they can get it;

- outright refuise to sign it, if they have an attitude about their perceived belief "How do I know that's what you claim it is?"
    suicide,

in your case, wouldnt it be worth it to pay that extra to get a nice insciption on your hr ball. you have already paid so much. why not have photo proof to show manny what you have. seems ashame to only have his signature on it.

what do you think?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

This is a great thread,as i have a story.My brother was proberly the biggest paul moltor fan.And when molitor was with the blue jays and he would come play in minnesota,my brother would go see him play.And he always wanted to get a home run ball hit from him.It was his dream,so he always made sure he had extra money with him when he saw moltior play as he said,"i'll pay anything for the ball he hits".Well one game when i was with him, his dream came true,as molitor hit a home run.And my brother took off from our seats by the jays dugout.And my other brother was asking,"where you going,jason?".And i told him (as i knew as soon as mollly hit it),"he is going to buy that baseball from whoever caught it".So i went with him and we tracked down where it landed, as he kept asking where it went etc.And he was able to track down the guy who caught it and offered the guy $300 for it,and the guy said no to it.I could'nt believe it when my brother came back and said that.My brother always thought $200 would be good enough to buy it, and i added $100 just to make sure he would be able to get it,as i thought that is a offer anyone would take.Wow, i could'nt believe it when he came back up to me empty handed.And he had the saddest look i had ever seen on his face,he was so depressed,and it took away from the fun of the game,as he just wanted to leave at that point.I was so upset i almost went down there and yelled at the guy for upsetting my brother.i was able to talk him into staying for the game.We got back to our seats and my other brother said,"wheres the ball?",and i said, "the guy turned him down so that his dog could chew up and play with the ball when the guy got home,he passed on $300 for a chew toy for his dog,or for the ball to end up under his couch or laying in his garage somewhere",and that cheered up my brother as he laughed.But to this day,even though that was many years ago,if i mention him that game to him,man,he still gets mad about it
    Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    What is the most money you have seen a person offer for a foul ball or hr baseball in the stands? Just curious. How much and who hit it. Was the offer accepted or not.

If you had the game ticket and proof you bought the ball (check?) that would be reasonable evidence of authenticity, as who would pay $60 for ball at the ball park that was not game used?

Quote Originally Posted by jobathenut View Post
    This is a great thread,as i have a story.My brother was proberly the biggest paul moltor fan.And when molitor was with the blue jays and he would come play in minnesota,my brother would go see him play.And he always wanted to get a home run ball hit from him.It was his dream,so he always made sure he had extra money with him when he saw moltior play as he said,"i'll pay anything for the ball he hits".Well one game when i was with him, his dream came true,as molitor hit a home run.And my brother took off from our seats by the jays dugout.And my other brother was asking,"where you going,jason?".And i told him (as i knew as soon as mollly hit it),"he is going to buy that baseball from whoever caught it".So i went with him and we tracked down where it landed, as he kept asking where it went etc.And he was able to track down the guy who caught it and offered the guy $300 for it,and the guy said no to it.I could'nt believe it when my brother came back and said that.My brother always thought $200 would be good enough to buy it, and i added $100 just to make sure he would be able to get it,as i thought that is a offer anyone would take.Wow, i could'nt believe it when he came back up to me empty handed.And he had the saddest look i had ever seen on his face,he was so depressed,and it took away from the fun of the game,as he just wanted to leave at that point.I was so upset i almost went down there and yelled at the guy for upsetting my brother.i was able to talk him into staying for the game.We got back to our seats and my other brother said,"wheres the ball?",and i said, "the guy turned him down so that his dog could chew up and play with the ball when the guy got home,he passed on $300 for a chew toy for his dog,or for the ball to end up under his couch or laying in his garage somewhere",and that cheered up my brother as he laughed.But to this day,even though that was many years ago,if i mention him that game to him,man,he still gets mad about it
    great story. its always nice to able to have a memory that ribs a brother. i bet the other guy is regretting not taking that $300 now.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    If you had the game ticket and proof you bought the ball (check?) that would be reasonable evidence of authenticity, as who would pay $60 for ball at the ball park that was not game used?
    what does everything think of a check as evidence. put some type of notation on the check and keep the cancelled check as evidence. dont think it can stand alone but its better than paying with cash. on the other hand, who is going to take a check at ballpark from a complete stranger. you may stop payment so cash would seem to be choice in this situation.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    suicide,

in your case, wouldnt it be worth it to pay that extra to get a nice insciption on your hr ball. you have already paid so much. why not have photo proof to show manny what you have. seems ashame to only have his signature on it.

what do you think?

Joel........Pro's and con's on the issue....

If you go meet someone of Manny's stature, walk up to him and say "Hey Manny! Nice to meet you! I have three of your home-run balls here I'd like you to sign"....Then pull out the pictures, all of the supporting paperwork, ticket stubs....

All of a sudden, they find themselves overwhelmed with becoming put in a position of having to make an on-the-spot decision of whether or not this pile you just dumped in their lap is authentic. There is severe risk in that, because if they cop an attitude (like Barry Bonds does in this circumstance), he may flat out refuse to sign the item with the inscription. Or, he may ask for a bunch more money because of what it is... which to me would be worth it.

But in rare cases, the player may refuse to sign it at all. In that case, you're screwed....even though you know it's real, and you have all the supporting proof. What you have to do is talk to people in line ahead of you that have already had him sign something....get a "feel" of what kind of a mood he's in, etc. Sometimes, it's all about catching the player on a "good day".

I have had a tough go with Willie Mays on a home run bat of his I own, one that came with a lettle (on Giants stationary no less, signed by Willie Mays attesting to the bat's use to hit the identified home run!) but after three attempts, and well over $2,500.00 cash offered to him, I got him to sign (on one occasion) the bat, and a separate occasion to inscribe it! I believe it's the only documented home run bat of Willie's in the hobby.
    But that's another story...and man, it was a nerve-racking battle. But in the end, Willie knew the whole time where the bat came from, what it was......he was just holding out for the "cash".

So....to anyone who is made of money, if you really want that one fine piece to add to your collection.....the old addage "everyone has their price" is usually true. Just be prepared to anty-up, because these guys can really catch you off guard if you are presenting them with a piece that has value. They usually know this, and they make you pay! But getting the player, if you can, to add the inscription Joel??.....is priceless. In the end, it's ALWAYS worth it, because you've just added another wonderful piece to this hobby we all love.