Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Yasiel Puig HR #4....MLB not wasting any time

Quote Originally Posted by 5toolplayer View Post
    1st bat and 1st Home Jersey were sold last week. Close to 5 digits I think for the bat, even more for the jersey
    I usually don't vote for the ASG - I don't support the process - but I participated in the final vote this year, so Puig would not get in. With all due respect to his fans, Yasiel won't be hitting over .400 for the whole season, or for the rest of his career.

I don't understand five figures for Puig gamers, especially when you can buy several WS jerseys for the same price. What would Puig have to do in his career to maintain those values? Be Pujols, Trout, and Hamilton all rolled into one? Just a bunch of collectors buying into the hype, if you ask me.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

IMO this is why MLB is so far behind the power curve compared to the other major sports. Puig is the new "big thing" people love seeing him play. He has over the last month made the Dodgers a team everybody wants to watch. Having him in the All Star game would bring a new younger audience into the picture. Its not always about stats and time in the league. Look at Donaldson and Beltre. Both have superior numbers compared to Machado, But people want to see the young faces, the new talent. Players like Papel slap have a hard time dealing with this but don't keep an exciting player like Puig off the roster because of his service time.
    5TOOLPLAYER@COMCAST.NET

I'm with Frik on this one, I don't believe Puig is an all star.....YET, at least.
    Granted the guy is on fire and has been lightning in a bottle and made the Dodgers worth watching.
    But 1 amazing month doesn't make you an all-star by any means.
    Just look at Justin Upton's month of April...he went CRAZY and then cooled down big time. Had we voted in April he'd be an all-star, yet now in June he is not.
    Machado being in the ASG is more about his numbers than age IMO. The guy has been a doubles machine and consistently hits and gets on base.
    I have him over Beltre and Donaldson even if the HRs aren't there as with the other guys.
    Just my 2cents.
    -Randy
    rborrero14 at gmail.com

I agree he is not a All-star and referring to the people paying tons for his items are stupid with money.

But in another topic with MLB going after all these ped users/cheaters. I bet say trout, Harper, puig or other top young stars got caught or failed a test I bet MLB looks the other way like they did back in the 1990's.

I wouldn't vote for him based on this
    http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2504523

Quote Originally Posted by slam View Post
    I wouldn't vote for him based on this
    http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2504523
    I heard this story too and great to hear about McGwire telling the kid how to act. Is there any truth Luis Gonzalez went there for the purpose of getting his autograph?
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

A similar conversation came up regarding Strassburg when he had a spectacular debut; many wanted him to be in the All-Star game although that would've been based on only a handful of rookie games. Their argument was that the game's for the fans. But my view is that the ASG is an honor for the players, and I don't think a rookie should be eligible for that honor.

Regarding Smoak, he's on a hitting tear lately. As a fan of the South Carolina Gamecocks, I was happy to read today that former gamecock Jackie Bradley was a pinch-runner at first last night, standing next to Smoak, who's also a former gamecock.

At a recent autograph signing just outside LA they were charging $150 just for an autograph. I would have loved to have my son go up and meet him and get his auto, but there is no way in hell I'm paying that for his auto.

Im with 5 tool on this subject, baseball is somewhat growing and a few more exciting guys like Puig is what the game needs. I don't mind his antics, his job(he is paid) to be the best baseball player possible not buddies with everyone. You read what the media posts and then judge the guy right off the bat, only those two know what was actually said other than that its hearsay. Baseball needs a jumpstart it's very sad watching highlights and seeing open seats all over the US in the first ten rows at baseball games.

Id also like to point out to the folks saying his items are insanely priced, that comes with the collecting hobby. If everything was 5 bucks the hobby wouldn't be a challenge and everyone would have game used items. Its the risk/reward, say the bat sold for 5,000 for his first HR and grand slam bat in 1951 whats that equivalent to maybe 500$-1,000$ so your telling me in 1951 if you had the chance to buy Mickey Mantle's (knowing what you know now) first HR or grand slam bat for 500$-1,000$ you wouldn't of done that. No one knew Mickey Mantle would be a future hall of famer so its the risk/reward factor. Not saying Puig is going to be Mickey Mantle but he could be, that's the fun and challenge in the hobby. If you got the Mantle bat for $500-1000$ in 1951 and sold now either you have a very nice retirement gift or you're putting your kids and grand kids through college. I understand the flooding of the market nowadays and how items are so much easier to obtain and more out there but a 1 hr and grandslam bat and jersey is one of a kind!!