Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Mets "#41" jersey on ebay. I wonder who wore #41 for the Mets?

That means they went out and got an authentic team issue sleeve patch and changed the tag from M&N to Wilson...I don't think so. I'm not a top expert, but the inside collar is white which matches the real jerseys and the button placement also looks identical. I doubt M&N would have duplicated that.

I think it could be a Mets 1973 authentic jersey with a number change. Don't know about the Wilson tag...what makes it a 1979, vs. a 1973?

Quote Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
    That means they went out and got an authentic team issue sleeve patch and changed the tag from M&N to Wilson...I don't think so. I'm not a top expert, but the inside collar is white which matches the real jerseys and the button placement also looks identical. I doubt M&N would have duplicated that.

I think it could be a Mets 1973 authentic jersey with a number change. Don't know about the Wilson tag...what makes it a 1979, vs. a 1973?
    The 1979's look nothing like the 1973's.

Guys,

I am just catching up with this thread now. And I must say that whoever paid nearly $900.00 for this jersey got taken to the cleaners.

Where do I begin...

1. The strip tag is absolutely fake.
    As compared to multiple other strip tags found on 1973 Mets jerseys...
    The material is WRONG.
    The number 41...the 4 is incorrect and the 1 is incorrect
    The number 46...the 4 is incorrect and the 6 is incorrect
    The number 73...the 7 is incorrect and the 3 is incorrect
    There is NOTHING correct about this tag.

2. The size is ridiculous. There is no way Tom Seaver was a size 46 in 1973. He wore this size jersey 10-12 years later, when he was much older.

3. This one I would assume not many would be able to spot, because it is very subtle. The sleeve patch (Mets skyline) is from a jersey of 1974 or later.

4. I know it's been said before -- the Wilson tag is incorrect for a 1973 jersey. This tag did not come into existence until 1978. It was obviously placed on the jersey at some later stage. For those of you reading who don't understand the differences between the 1973 and the 1978-1985 tag, please refer to post #1 on this thread:
    http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ead.php?t=8660

My theory on this jersey...

It is a 1974 or 1975 road gamer with a fabricated strip tag, a replaced Wilson tag and a very good number change. And a travesty.
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by TNTtoys View Post
    Guys,

I am just catching up with this thread now. And I must say that whoever paid nearly $900.00 for this jersey got taken to the cleaners.

Where do I begin...

1. The strip tag is absolutely fake.
    As compared to multiple other strip tags found on 1973 Mets jerseys...
    The material is WRONG.
    The number 41...the 4 is incorrect and the 1 is incorrect
    The number 46...the 4 is incorrect and the 6 is incorrect
    The number 73...the 7 is incorrect and the 3 is incorrect
    There is NOTHING correct about this tag.

2. The size is ridiculous. There is no way Tom Seaver was a size 46 in 1973. He wore this size jersey 10-12 years later, when he was much older.

3. This one I would assume not many would be able to spot, because it is very subtle. The sleeve patch (Mets skyline) is from a jersey of 1974 or later.

4. I know it's been said before -- the Wilson tag is incorrect for a 1973 jersey. This tag did not come into existence until 1978. It was obviously placed on the jersey at some later stage. For those of you reading who don't understand the differences between the 1973 and the 1978-1985 tag, please refer to post #1 on this thread:
    http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ead.php?t=8660

My theory on this jersey...

It is a 1974 or 1975 road gamer with a fabricated strip tag, a replaced Wilson tag and a very good number change. And a travesty.
    You are then saying the Mets script was removed and the prior to 1974 "New York" placed on...wouldn't that leave serious marks on the jersey? I guess we need to examine it, which is unlikely.

You are then saying the Mets script was removed and the prior to 1974 "New York" placed on...wouldn't that leave serious marks on the jersey? I guess we need to examine it, which is unlikely.
    One way or another, the front logo and the back numbers were removed. If the jersey was a 1973 or earlier, the "NEW YORK" would have been removed and replaced with "Mets" when recycled through the minors. For example, the George "Stork" Theodore jersey. In this case (pre-1974), the jersey would have been stripped not once but twice.

Fact of the matter (and I think you nailed it) is that all of this is speculation without having the jersey in front of us to be able to examine.

Course, how it came about is secondary to the fact that there are obvious problems with it -- such as bogus strip tag and bogus manufacturer tag. There were enough issues there for me to stop analyzing and conclude that it's a bad jersey.

I wonder if the buyer reads the forum...hmmmm...
    Looking for ...

One way or another, the front logo and the back numbers were removed. If the jersey was a 1973 or earlier, the "NEW YORK" would have been removed and replaced with "Mets" when recycled through the minors. For example, the George "Stork" Theodore jersey. In this case (pre-1974), the jersey would have been stripped not once but twice.

Fact of the matter (and I think you nailed it) is that all of this is speculation without having the jersey in front of us to be able to examine.

Course, how it came about is secondary to the fact that there are obvious problems with it -- such as bogus strip tag and bogus manufacturer tag. There were enough issues there for me to stop analyzing and conclude that it's a bad jersey.

I wonder if the buyer reads the forum...hmmmm...
    There did exist at one point an authentic 1973 Seaver 41 road...this is probably not it...do you think the Mets recycled Seaver's jersey too, knowing he was already a two-time Cy Young winner and potential Hall of Famer? Or did they keep that one in its original form for posterity?

There did exist at one point an authentic 1973 Seaver 41 road...this is probably not it...do you think the Mets recycled Seaver's jersey too, knowing he was already a two-time Cy Young winner and potential Hall of Famer? Or did they keep that one in its original form for posterity?
    It would make sense that they would hold onto some of the star player jerseys like Seaver... but to tell you the truth, nothing would surprise me. I have seen multiple Darryl Strawberry mid-80's gamers that were recycled.

I even met a fellow collector who found Nolan Ryan's late 1960s road flannel in a dumpster outside the stadium. Forum member UltimetFan was with me when I was shown the Ryan... and our jaws dropped in sync.
    Looking for ...

It would make sense that they would hold onto some of the star player jerseys like Seaver... but to tell you the truth, nothing would surprise me. I have seen multiple Darryl Strawberry mid-80's gamers that were recycled.

I even met a fellow collector who found Nolan Ryan's late 1960s road flannel in a dumpster outside the stadium. Forum member UltimetFan was with me when I was shown the Ryan... and our jaws dropped in sync.
    WOW

It's back.
    Attached Images Attached Images