Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Arrow Boyd Dowler Packers Game Used Helmet

HELLO,
    I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME FIGURE OUT WHAT YEAR THIS HELMET IS FROM. ALSO I WAS WONDERING IF THIS WAS A TRUE DOWLER GAME USED HELMET. ANY HELP WITH THIS WOULD BE GREAT.
    THANKS,
    JAMIE
    jlschultz180@wi.rr.com
    Attached Images Attached Images         

Banned

Re: Boyd Dowler Packers Game Used Helmet

Frankly, it looks an awful lot like a slightly beat up Riddell RK Proline, the undersized remakes of the originals Riddell recently made then stopped producing.

Aeneas would know and would be able to tell you the location of the date stamp code.

To me, it looks too new. There is no staining to the inside. None to the sweatband which sports the players last name. No staining to the jawpads, no numbers on the outside of the helmet, etc. Looks like a few "deliberate" scuffs.

Banned

Hello,
    I bought this helmet about 12-15 years ago from a big Packers fan. The helmet does show use on the inside. The lighting and flash don't help with showing the use. There are many scuffs and scratches all over the outside of the helmet. The "G" sticker on the one side is ripped and lifting off the helmet from being hit. I was told be another Packer collector that it was a real Packers game used helmet. I just don't know from what year, I hope someone can help me with this.
    Thanks,
    Jamie
    jlschultz180@wi.rr.com

Dowler's usual mask of choice was a single-bar. He may have used a two-bar briefly, but I have not been able to find a photo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Banned

I was told he had a nose injury that's why the two bar on this helmet. So he probably only wore this helmet for a game or two.
    Thanks,
    Jamie

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mvandor View Post
    Frankly, it looks an awful lot like a slightly beat up Riddell RK Proline, the undersized remakes of the originals Riddell recently made then stopped producing.

Aeneas would know and would be able to tell you the location of the date stamp code.
    I have attached some scans of a replica Proline RK helmet that I own. To me, there are three differences that I can see between the two helmets.

First, the writing on the back of the helmets is different;
    Second, the flair around the ear-holes is different.
    Third, when the Prolines are created, two sides are formed to make a single helmet and there is a seam that runs along the entire length of the helmet. On my helmet, all I have to do is look inside the helmet and the seam is evident to the naked eye.

Another option is the helmet may have been a helmet lamp. Back in the 70's, Riddell sent the exact helmet they sent to the professional teams to a company who made authentic helmet lamps. One sure way to tell is by checking out the top airhole. If your helmet was a lamp, the airhole would show signs that the hole was enlarged and there should be a outline of a metal washer. The helmet would also be missing a rubber pad that was glued onto authentic game worn helmets.

Of course there is a third opition and this is, the helmet may be authentic. Aeneas would know for sure. I would send him a email because he is and always has been very helpful.

Jim

Banned

cohibasmoker,
    There is another pad under the rubber piece you can see this in the attached picture, it's diamond shaped. I do have a helmet lamp with a big hole on top but this helmet has a smaller hole on top of it. I tried to take a picture of it but I get to much glare from my camera. Thanks for your help Jim. If anyone else has any information I would like to hear from you.
    Thanks,
    Jamie
    jlschultz180@wi.rr.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SkubeBats View Post
    cohibasmoker,
    There is another pad under the rubber piece you can see this in the attached picture, it's diamond shaped. I do have a helmet lamp with a big hole on top but this helmet has a smaller hole on top of it. I tried to take a picture of it but I get to much glare from my camera. Thanks for your help Jim. If anyone else has any information I would like to hear from you.
    Thanks,
    Jamie
    jlschultz180@wi.rr.com
    Jamie,

I guess the Proline and helmet lamp scenarios are out. All we need is Robert and you'll be on your way. Hopefully it will work out. Glad I could help.

Jim

The helmet is a TK helmet which stood for Tru-Kurve. It is more round than the RK helmet, that is why the "flare" around the ear is different.

It is an older Packers helmet, however, I don't think it was Dowler's, - at least not his every day helmet. It is true he may have had a nose injury, but I would think that "Dad" Brazier would have simply installed a two bar to Dowler's helmet rather than issue a new lid for a couple games. I have not seen photos of Dowler with a two bar, but he could have. Dowler played with Green Bay through 1969 and finished his career with the Redskins. I believe this helmet is from the early 70's, and can be verified by the date code on the inside of the helmet. In the early 70's through about 1972, the Packers still used the side decals with the pointed ends. In I believe 1973, they started going to the more rounded decals that they still use to this day. Every Packers helmet lamp that I have ever seen, (I own 5 of them,) has the 1973 and later rounded decals.

IMO, it is a Packers helmet from the early 70's that was not used much. It does not have any numbers on the rear or any trace of numbers. The Packers wore stenciled numbers that were painted or "magic markered" onto the rear up until around 72 when they went to a decaled number on the rear. I see photos of Brockington with the stenciled numbers on the rear and he was a rookie in 71. MacArthur Lane came onto the team in 1972 and photos of his helmet show a decal set of numbers on the rear. It is possible that the helmet was worn by Dowler or another player without the numbers.

A very nice helmet that would be a highlight of most helmet collections. Packer helmets from this era draw a premium and this is certainly a nice one. Just not sure that it was worn by Dowler.

but I would have to see the date stamp to be sure.