Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Platinum Jeter Auction, Is it worth the $$$

So $300,000?
    Wow. I'd love to be Ken or the auction house for that commission. Or the consignor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey2007 View Post
    How can you be HOF good but not of of the best of your era? Both are first ballot HOFers for sure but Ichiro doesn't have 5 WS rings and a history for being clutch in the postseason for the most storied franchise in baseball. He's come close but the only thing Jeter doesn't have on his baseball resume is an MVP. Jeter's also the only Yankee to have over 3,000 hits so he's in a class by himself in that sense. I'd say he's the greatest Yankee player since Mantle.

I'd have to guess that his first MLB jersey would go for almost twice what his WS bat did if you get two big time collectors who really want it.
    He is going to the HOF because of 3,000 hits and +.300 average. And of course 5 WS that he won with his team.

I don't think of Jeter as being a great player on the field. I think of him as being a very good player who was very consistent.
    I do think of him as being a great player overall, considering his leadership, constancy, and attitude. I know it sounds nuts but that is the way I think.
    I think of Jeter and I compare him to similar stat players like Molitor and Yount. He is a very distant 3rd to those two guys.
    Jeter was blessed with talent and to be a Yankee.

Sorry, I didn't mean Yount, I meant Ripken.
    I was thinking of those with 3,000 hits and typed the wrong guy.

Yount was good but Jeter is a better hitter.

$300K might be a bit on the high side for a modern day player jersey but I'd have to think that his first MLB jersey would be a highly desirable item to a deep-pocketed Yankee fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleraddict View Post
    So $300,000?
    Wow. I'd love to be Ken or the auction house for that commission. Or the consignor.

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    He is going to the HOF because of 3,000 hits and +.300 average. And of course 5 WS that he won with his team.

I don't think of Jeter as being a great player on the field. I think of him as being a very good player who was very consistent.
    I do think of him as being a great player overall, considering his leadership, constancy, and attitude. I know it sounds nuts but that is the way I think.
    I think of Jeter and I compare him to similar stat players like Molitor and Yount. He is a very distant 3rd to those two guys.
    Jeter was blessed with talent and to be a Yankee.

how can you say that brother?!!? jeter has a higher career BA than yount, ripken, arod, smith or any star star SS you can think of! ok, yes stat rats, you got me with honus wagner--but even with a legend like that, jeter is only 100 hits or so away from his record of being not only the all time yankee hits leader, but the all time hits leader for shortstops. EVER TO PLAY THE GAME! i believe he is also 3rd all time in games played at shortstop, AND he's also the yankees all time leader in what seems to be every friggin category; and thats the yankees! gehrig, ruth, mantle, dimaggio....come on man! this is derek jeter!!!

he will go down as not only one of the greatest shortstops, but in my opinion, one of the greatest to play the game.

The first of any players jersey or helmet or shoes or hat or whatever would be a great item to have.
    Nothing else could ever satisfy you.

And about Jeter being great, I know he was a great overall player. I am stat guy and am always refining and going over them. Jeter is a HOF player and that is all I need to know.

I am way too biased to comment...

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by gorilla777 View Post
    I am way too biased to comment...

Ben
    We all have our biases.

Just my opinion, but did Jeter every win a AL MVP?

At any point could you say he was the best player in the game or even the best shortstop in the game?

WS Rings had a lot to do with being on a great team... Put Jeter on any other team and he is not the same Jeter.

I remeber a poll from other major leaguers and Jeter was considered by his peers as the most over rated players in the game.

I don't even think I would consider him as one of the top 5 all time Yankees.

So for his memorabilia to even reach Ruth, Mantle, Dimaggio, etc... is crazy...

Oh boy....getting good now.