Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: What's it worth? Frank Thomas rookie cap

If he doesn't believe it to be real and authentic that's fine.. Just don't be insulting.
    There was nothing insulting about the PaleHose post, IMO. Just an honest assessment.

And FWIW, my Frank Thomas Rookie Cap catalog arrived today!

I don't see why what he has is not enough. How many items are auctioned with the word of some guy who worked in the clubhouse? No one has a problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
    There was nothing insulting about the PaleHose post, IMO. Just an honest assessment.

And FWIW, my Frank Thomas Rookie Cap catalog arrived today!
    What....when did this happen?.........I thought I was the only one with the Frank Thomas Rookie Cap catalog!

Me thinks the great cap caper has run its course.
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by karamaxjoe View Post
    What....when did this happen?.........I thought I was the only one with the Frank Thomas Rookie Cap catalog!

Me thinks the great cap caper has run its course.
    I think we need another 5 threads and 400+ posts about this hat till we get to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Palehose for Life View Post
    I'm ignorant? I spent thousands with the White Sox since 1999 both online and thru their garage sales and let me tell you they mix everything together issued & used & throw it all out there as game used its buyer beware like everything else in this hobby
    Exactly why I stopped going to the garage sales years ago and only deal with vintage now. The Sox are out to make a buck for their charities and I appreciate that. Unfortunately provenance is something they care little about.
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm with you guys...this post and discussion has ran its course. Although Palehose you do bring up legit concerns over proof... You can't always prove things with a photo match.. Circumstantial evidence can convict too. If I wake up in the morning and there is snow on the ground..but I didn't see it snowing.. I can honestly say it snowed last night without seeing a flake. Circumstantial and physical evidence combined make for very strong proof.
    Thanks to all members who were involved in my thread...I learned a lot and I will continue collecting for my enjoyment. Go Sox

Quote Originally Posted by Palehose for Life View Post
    I'll take a solid photo match over provenance any day of the week. Proof requires evidence to establish a fact what you have here are opinions. Pay me $20 and I can write you an opinion too what does that prove?

I don't deal in uncertainty any longer my items are photo matched 100% when it comes to GU & my collection which I have posted on here speaks for itself research it its not hard to do.

I've switched 90% out of baseball to football, only purchase items that can be PROVEN 100% cause I don't own a toy collection I hunt grails bud.

I'm ignorant? I spent thousands with the White Sox since 1999 both online and thru their garage sales and let me tell you they mix everything together issued & used & throw it all out there as game used its buyer beware like everything else in this hobby & If I had a dollar for every story that contained a clubhouse guy and/or impeccable source I would be a millionaire & quite frankly after all these years those types of stories turn my stomach. IDC if you can't find pictures or auction houses @ times only provide what you are trying to pass of as proof it doesn't make it rite and/or a fact.

The tagging & sizing are a good start along with the autograph but that still doesn't prove Thomas wore it. Who is to say he didn't just autograph the hat do you really think that doesn't happen? It doesn't matter what you have Frank on tape saying as there is no way in hell that Frank remembers a hat from 24 years ago when he has worn hundreds of hats and if it was such a special hat for him to remember in would be in his trophy room.

Sorry if this doesn't fit you agenda or you don't want/can't understand the reality of this hobby when it comes to selling that people want proof not opinions when they part with hundreds &/or thousands of dollars & if you can't supply that proof then you are selling on the low end of the spectrum or to a fool who doesn't know better.

I guess it doesn't matter anyways as this whole ordeal has the feel of a played out infomercial & a precursor to a future sale.
    Typical

BUMP TTT!

Sorry. . . . . Couldn't resist.
    R. C. Walker
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

treborreklaw@hotmail.com

Ironmanfan - I saw that you posted a few years back that you had a Chris Sabo GU Batting helmet that you picked up - I would love to see it if you still have it. I have never seen a Sabo GU helmet before. Email me at r_to_the_2nd@yahoo.com - thanks!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stasman View Post
    This particular hat was used in the final home series in 1990. During that year the Sox wore red, white and blue uniforms. They introduced their new uniforms ( the current black and whites) to the fans before the 1991 season so the fans could check them out. So this is Franks first Black white sox cap. I being a huge Frank fan and life long White Sox fan I really love this hat. I don't think I would ever sell it but, I could understand if a collector would make an offer like that how it would be difficult not to sell.
    His first black white sox cap? really? how do you know this? do you know how many hats he probably went thru in his career??? how in the world could he remember a hat he wore? let alone a jersey,pants, gloves etc..... fielding glove yes! all that stuff especially a hat is about as rare as the socks and stirrups he wore!!! He was impressed with a hat? the hall of fame wouldn't want something that can't be proven one way or the other. Again not trying to discount your item, but photomatching a hat is damn near impossible, and an loa is damn near worthless unless frank signed a piece of paper saying its his and even then id still pause on buying it since there is no proof and nobody can verify they really wore a hat 24yrs ago! he went thru countless hats bats etc. whose to say it wasn't issued and some turd has been running around In it sweating his b-sac off in it and passing it off as gu? trust me stranger things have happened, as there are lots of DR'$ out thrrr!!! anyone can write 35 on the inside of a hat. That and $1 will get you a pair of sweaty. socks, and maybe I can sell those too?