Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: WBC- Does it matter/Do people care?

Adam Dunn will join the USA team, taking the place of another player as of this weekend.
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

I just don't get it.......As big of a baseball fan as I am, I just can't seem to stir any emotion or excitement at all about the WBC. Doesn't count in the "record books"......doesn't matter in regards to how a player plays......individual player's stats don't go down in their "career stats"..... it just all seems to be about as exciting as.....well......spring training?

I guess because when it's all said and done.......what is the result? Bragging rights about a short tournament with playground-picked line ups?

There is very little rhyme or reason to how the rosters are assembled, and players are jumping "Country" lines so....I just don't see the importance. I would asically place it in the categorie of an ad-lib softball game held at the local park in my neighborhood between some visiting foreigners. If you are really bored, pull up a bench and have a laugh or two at the antics that may occur.......

But, that's just me. And I do concede the fact that I live in a major city that does have a Professional team......so that may have a lot to do with it.

No offense to anyone who's into it, or to any foreign country who has a team seriously geared up to play in it.......but it just doen't rank at all on my "attention" meter.

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    I just don't get it.......As big of a baseball fan as I am, I just can't seem to stir any emotion or excitement at all about the WBC. Doesn't count in the "record books"......doesn't matter in regards to how a player plays......individual player's stats don't go down in their "career stats"..... it just all seems to be about as exciting as.....well......spring training?
    As Baseball fans, yes,we look to the records and stats, to a greater extent than in any other sport, and they do add a certain element to our enjoyment...but, ultimately, what do they really have to do with whether or not we love and appreciate The Game?

Recently, I watched several games in the annual tournament known as the Caribbean World Series. The teams included quite a few well-known MLB players, and even those players who were not major leaguers displayed an extraordinary level of skill. It was some great Baseball - whether or not it "counted", in the sense in which you've used that word.

Every year, I get to as many Arizona Fall League games as possible, and I watch the best (mostly) Double-A players in the country show their stuff on the field, plate and mound. Sure, you see some rookie mistakes, at times, in the course of a game...but I see those on Major League ballfields, too. These guys are professionals, playing their hearts out for little more than pride and maybe a box score entry on page 18 of the sports section, and it can be some of the most fun and exciting Baseball you'll ever see, anywhere.

In a sense, I guess, when you set aside the records and the stats, the huge salaries and the agents and the hype, and play (or watch) something like the WBC, it's actually something that's closer to the competitive roots of The Game than anything you'd watch during the regular season. Not every MLB star is going to be able and willing to play for their country in the WBC, but I've read enough interviews with those who have done so to understand how deeply they feel the honor of playing ball with that "U.S.A." and that flag on their jerseys. Personally, I went to the WBC games played in Phoenix in '06, and the US-Mexico game, especially, was one of the best times I've ever had at a ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    Godwulf first of all thats not the Rosters. That is the Provisional Rosters.

Just so you know Between Yesterday and Today 4 Starting Players pulled out.
    Grady Sizemore
    Brian Fuentes
    Joe Nathan
    BJ Ryan
    Melky Cabrera - turned down invitation
    Alfredo Alceves - turned down invitation

LIKE I SAID NOT A LOT OF SUPER STAR PLAYERS

Unfortunately it wont let me post the official roster here but you can look it up on the website.

Most second string players
    Wow - I didn't realize those guys rank as STAR Players while scrubs like Jeter, Dunn, Wright, Oswalt, Peavy, Jones, Rollins, Pedroia, Braun, Victorino and Youkilis continue to play - and that's JUST on the Team USA Final RosterR.

Yeah, that's only an All Star team there - not including the '2nd tier' Scrubs like Bell, Lilly, Shields, Iannetta, McCann, and Granderson.

Should I go on to the Dominican/Latino countries? A-Rod, Ortiz... yeah, just a bunch more scrubs and 2nd string players... not a lot of Super Star Players....

The point of the WBC is to showcase the Talent of the MLB along with shining a spotlight on countries who previosuly weren't even and afterthought as far as baseball is concerned - on ANY level, not just MLB.

I remember watching S Africa last WBC and thinking ' Wow! Who knew they could play baseball like that down there?'

I have to side with GodWulf here... if all you care about are games with meaningful stats, then we have two totally different views on the beauty of the game.

By the way GODWULF - please send me an IM or an eMail - xpress34@comcast.net

As always, just my .02

I watched 5 minutes of the Blue Jays vs. Canada and I was bored to tears.

what determines which country/team a player is on? I ask because arod played for the US in 2006, and this time around he is playing for the Dominican team.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markize View Post
    what determines which country/team a player is on? I ask because arod played for the US in 2006, and this time around he is playing for the Dominican team.

Mark

Mark -

The WBC leaves the choice up to the player if he is asked to play for the country of his heritage (parents) or his birth.

A-Rod was born here, but his parents are Dominican.

Another example is Jason Gilli of the Rockies - born here so he could have played for USA, but his parents are Italian so he is playing for Italy.

Hope that clears it up some.

- Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    I watched 5 minutes of the Blue Jays vs. Canada and I was bored to tears.
    Deputy -

You should have watched your Yankees vs USA. Jeter's 1st time to play against his own team!

The game came down to the final out with a man on base and Team USA with a 1 run lead.

- Chris

People do care. It is just a shame that USA fans did not support their team more. I'm from England, but fell in love with baseball after coming over here some years ago. It's a great game, and high time that we had "World Cup" of baseball, which the WBC is to a certain extent.

Went to the Final last night, and it was electric. The Japan/Korea fans really made it one of THE most enjoyable baseball games that I have been to. They got behind their teams, and I must say that the Koreans never stopped banging their drums until the final out.

I hope the WBC is here to stay, and I hope that somehow the US sends a stronger team nezt time.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

If anyone is interested, we have game used WBC Jerseys, batting gloves, spikes, hats, helmets, bats, etc... from:
    Joey Votto - Team Canada
    Greg Halman - Team Netherlands
    Mike Avilies - Team Puerto Rico

contact us at info@pcmsports.com