Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: You guys are not going to believe this!

ok, mea culpa....next time I'll have to add in some

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    haha, yes it was an automated message. Once you say hello, Blanchard starts talking in a pre-recorded message. I must have ended up on a Steiner phone list for advertising. It was a sales pitch for their big sale.

Johnny Blanchard did not really call me personally......

you guys crack me up
    That is hilarious. I had a call come in mid-afternoon yesterday from an 800-880-6989 with a message from Steiner Sports and then their message didn't come through. Glad to know what I missed!!!
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
    Well, I didn't get it. But I think I do now. I feel stupid!
    I gotta tell ya, when I read your reply and story about Juan Gone, I damn near wet myself laughing so hard. I think that I laughed harder than when I typed my original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    ok, so I'm sitting at home yesterday, enjoying a day off....and the phone rings.

Not expecting anyone to call, I was FLOORED when I answered the phone and at the other end, it was none other than JOHNNY BLANCHARD! Former star ballplayer with the NEW YORK YANKEES!

It seems that Johnny wanted to tell me, imagine that, me, about all the new deals at Steiner Sports. It seems that Steiner even has stuff from Johnny's old teammate, MICKEY MANTLE! Well, at this point, I'm about to faint after hearing that!

I wish that you all could have been there. Receiving that call was just about the proudest moment of my life.

Oh my, Johnny Blanchard just passed away. Our thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

03/25/09 12:28 PM ET

Yankees' 'Super-Sub' Blanchard dies

Was member of five World Series teams in New York

Johnny Blanchard, a member of five New York Yankees World Series clubs, died Wednesday of a heart attack in Minnesota. He was 76.

Nicknamed "Super-Sub," Blanchard spent most of his career as a backup catcher, debuting with the Yankees in 1955 and serving as a regular member of New York's roster from 1959 into 1965.

His best season came with the 1961 World Series championship team, when Blanchard batted .305 with 21 home runs and 54 RBIs in 93 games. On July 21-26 of that season, Blanchard hit four straight home runs over a three-game period, tying a Major League record.

Blanchard was also a presence in October, holding a World Series record with 10 pinch-hitting appearances. He hit .345 in the Yankees' five straight Fall Classic appearances from 1960 through 1964, including slugging two home runs in the Yankees' five-game victory over the Cincinnati Reds.

Appearing in 516 games over eight big league seasons, Blanchard hit .239 with 67 home runs and 200 RBIs. His Yankees tenure came to a close on May 3, 1965, when he was traded with Rollie Sheldon to the Kansas City Athletics for Doc Edwards.

Blanchard played in 52 games for the A's before finishing the 1965 season with the Milwaukee Braves, retiring after the conclusion of the campaign.

He resided in Minnetonka, Minn., and was a regular presence at Yankee Stadium for Old Timers Days in recent seasons.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500