Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Derek Jeter HOF worthy?

Yep

im not a big fan of the yankees to say the least but jeter is a no question hall of famer

Quote Originally Posted by byergo View Post
    You want to talk about a sacred player, how about Nolan Ryan? How many 40 year olds still throw 95 mph (besides Nolan, Roger Clemens and maybe Satchell Paige--who was clean)?
    Well said!!! (see my board name... )

Yes, even though he plays for a team I do not like

Richpick

While I am by no means a Yankee fan, I do like some of their historical players (Mantle, Yogi and the like) as well as being a fan of Jeter's (I got his sig on a ball last time they were here in Denver - very good guy to the fans), but here an interesting tid-bit most people - including big time Yankees fans don't know...

Not only will Jeter make the HOF - but barring any injuries, he will become the 1st Yankee to join the 3,000 hit club.

Ruth - 2873
    Mantle - 2415
    DiMaggio - 2214
    Berra - 2150
    Maris - 1325
    Mattingly - 2153
    Gehrig - 2721

and you can't claim Boggs - 3010 - because his last 210 hits (including 3,000) came as a Tampa Bay Devil Ray

In fact, I don't think anyone has ever hit their 3,000 hit while playing in a Yankees uniform either...

And based on their career numbers, Jeter doesn't have to worry about having A-Rod beat him to it:

A-Rod - Games played 2042 - Hits 2404
    Jeter - Games played 1985 - Hits 2535

So in 57 less games, Jeter has 131 more hits than A-Rod and based on A-Rod's season avg, that's about an entire season of hits ahead of A-Rod.

It will be fitting though that the 1st guy to hit 3,000 wearing Yankees pinstripes will be a guy who has been a Yankee his entire career - not someone who was close and was brought there just to get his 500th HR or 3,000 Hit.

Hope you all enjoyed the trivia.

All the best -

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    While I am by no means a Yankee fan, I do like some of their historical players (Mantle, Yogi and the like) as well as being a fan of Jeter's (I got his sig on a ball last time they were here in Denver - very good guy to the fans), but here an interesting tid-bit most people - including big time Yankees fans don't know...

Not only will Jeter make the HOF - but barring any injuries, he will become the 1st Yankee to join the 3,000 hit club.

Ruth - 2873
    Mantle - 2415
    DiMaggio - 2214
    Berra - 2150
    Maris - 1325
    Mattingly - 2153
    Gehrig - 2721

and you can't claim Boggs - 3010 - because his last 210 hits (including 3,000) came as a Tampa Bay Devil Ray

In fact, I don't think anyone has ever hit their 3,000 hit while playing in a Yankees uniform either...

And based on their career numbers, Jeter doesn't have to worry about having A-Rod beat him to it:

So in 57 less games, Jeter has 131 more hits than A-Rod and based on A-Rod's season avg, that's about an entire season of hits ahead of A-Rod.

It will be fitting though that the 1st guy to hit 3,000 wearing Yankees pinstripes will be a guy who has been a Yankee his entire career - not someone who was close and was brought there just to get his 500th HR or 3,000 Hit.

All the best -

Chris
    Thanks, Chris. That's good info. I don't think his superstar status has to do just with being a member of the Yankees. It certainly has something to do with it, but not everything. Jeter's not even my favorite player, but you've got to respect his pure hitting ability.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

I forgot to mention the following two players who also played for the Yankees at one point or another - but did NOT get their 3,000 hit as a Yankee:

Dave Winfield - 3110
    Rickey Henderson - 3055

All the best -

Chris

P.S. - Leslie, glad you liked the info!

Quote Originally Posted by jetersbatboy View Post
    And just like always ever September, Arod will disapear.
    Why is it that some peple feel the need to attack others when they give their opinion?

What's this comment have to do with the subject, other than giving me a shot about Arod.

Tony,
    We have bin threw this before, you always jab it in that jeter would be just another good player on anothet team. It's your opinion and mine is, if Arod played on another team, Jeter would have 5 rings.

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post

Ruth - 2873
    Mantle - 2415
    DiMaggio - 2214
    Berra - 2150
    Maris - 1325
    Mattingly - 2153
    Gehrig - 2721

All the best -

Chris

Chris,

That's a great observation. In additional to Boggs, Dave Winfield and Rickey Henderson are the other members of the 3,000 hits club who played for the Yankees but of course didn't get their 3,000th hit in pinstripes.

With a 4 World Championships and clutch performances in all the post season games and 3,000 hits Jeter is a lock for the Hall.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.