Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

Re: Arod hits number 600

Quote Originally Posted by Fnazxc0114 View Post
    how about putting all these guys in the book with a big * next to their name. Not sure how many homers he hit with the rangers, but those should be stripped from his career stats.
    I disagree. If you do that. Do you give Ruth an * because he faced the same pitchers time and again and again, did not have to play against black, Asian or Spainish players or travel cross country or not count his homers. Aaron and Mays admitted to using greenies, aka Amphetamines, aka a PED, do we * them or take away some of their homers. How do we know for sure Griffey and Thome were clean everyday of their careers? Something can be said about every player so when you start with * and striping homers where do you start and stop? Most of the homers ARod and co. hit came off pitchers just as juiced as they were.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    I disagree. If you do that. Do you give Ruth an * because he faced the same pitchers time and again and again, did not have to play against black, Asian or Spainish players or travel cross country or not count his homers. Aaron and Mays admitted to using greenies, aka Amphetamines, aka a PED, do we * them or take away some of their homers. How do we know for sure Griffey and Thome were clean everyday of their careers? Something can be said about every player so when you start with * and striping homers where do you start and stop? Most of the homers ARod and co. hit came off pitchers just as juiced as they were.
    Amen, Brother.

Enough of the games of who got caught and who didn't. Which players had 10 total career home runs and didn't get caught, or if they are caught, should we edit the record books for them also?

It was a bad era for baseball, but whatever drugs these guys took was part of the game and part of the era and the sport has to move forward. Those who view issues with people who were "caught" forget about the sport that turned their head to the issues and allowed the abuse to continue.

Why people obsess over this topic is beyond me. When Mac and Jose came into the league, we all joked about them juicing. It wasn't a major issue, it was not considered illegal, baseball knew it was going on and didn't investigate because they hoped it would become legal.

Let's enjoy the day and not have so much hate in this country.

theres no hate, just cotempt for a guy that is a cheater. I own stuff of guys who used, and it doesnt affect my habits. It was fun to watch them while they played, but you cant overlook the fact that they cheated.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

also to add to it, his steroid use wont keep me from some day buying a rangers g/u bat. But, you cant talk about his accomplishments without talking about his steroid use. Its the same with all the other guys who have been caught.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Fnazxc0114 View Post
    theres no hate, just cotempt for a guy that is a cheater. I own stuff of guys who used, and it doesnt affect my habits. It was fun to watch them while they played, but you cant overlook the fact that they cheated.
    Amen!!! I was just logging in to say about the same thing. Nobody said "hate". Where in the world did you take that leap? Just because we don't agree doesn't mean we "hate" anyone. I just could care less, honestly, and that is far from hate.
    "We need rebirth of the American tradition of leadership ... in private life as well." "'Trust me' government asks that we concentrate our hopes and dreams on one man; that we trust him to do what's best for us. My view of government places trust not in one person or one party, but in those values that transcend persons and parties. The trust is where it belongs--in the people." - Ronald Reagan"

http://www.freewebs.com/chrishwish/

I forgot to add....

I think the strongest words used were contempt and cheater. They may be harsh words, but they are the truth. Contempt simply means "lack of respect" and cheater is "someone who leads you to believe something that is not true".

Alex did cheat and he admitted it. His admission doesn't take the misdeeds away. It simply acknowledges them and we all try our best to move on. Fnazxc0114 has lost respect for him, as many of us have.

Again, where is the hate?
    "We need rebirth of the American tradition of leadership ... in private life as well." "'Trust me' government asks that we concentrate our hopes and dreams on one man; that we trust him to do what's best for us. My view of government places trust not in one person or one party, but in those values that transcend persons and parties. The trust is where it belongs--in the people." - Ronald Reagan"

Banned

Sorry, all I see in the discussions as "hate" because players used drugs that the sport basically allowed and overlooked for many years. You can feel it is "contempt", I just read it to be "hate".

Is that all that can be countered for my arguments?

There are quite a few issues here, and for everyone who wants to punish those who have been caught or those who were honest and admitted their use, I say hogwash - Those who were not caught are still out there and may never be caught.

Just like punishing Roger Maris is 1961 for getting to play some extra games as society did back then, or those who felt Hank Aaron's skin color didn't make his record just - This era was bad for baseball, but move on and stop worrying about it. The records will stand, and some people will complain about it but life will go on and unless Major League Baseball punishes themselves for allowing this era to continue for years after the found out about the abuses, then nothing will happen.

I asked The Chicago White Sox to refund me for tickets from 1994 when they canceled the season. My argument was that even though I went to the games in 1994, since there was no post season there was no reason I should have wasted my time going to games when the promise of playing for the chance to play in the post season was taken from me.

They told me sorry, have a nice day.

This is how we should look at the Steroid era of baseball. Move on, enjoy the games or find a better sport to watch (hockey?). Complaining about it every time someone hits a milestone is just old now. The whole sport was using these drugs for a 15-20 year period. Everyone knew it was going on from the fans to upper management to the US Government. No one did anything about it until they realized these drugs have bad long term effects.

If they were healthy to use, athletes would still be using them today and they would be legalized.

Go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    Move on, enjoy the games or find a better sport to watch (hockey?).
    While I don't agree with the assumption that hockey might be a better sport to watch than baseball (despite being a Canadian..sacrilegous, I know) I agree with the above.

MLB Baseball, like the movie industry of Hollywood is an entertainment business...pure and simple.

Home runs like CGI-generated tsunamis are entertainment. Enjoy them or spend your money elsewhere.
    WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

trsent do you view arod as a victim?
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    Sorry, all I see in the discussions as "hate" because players used drugs that the sport basically allowed and overlooked for many years. You can feel it is "contempt", I just read it to be "hate".

Is that all that can be countered for my arguments?

There are quite a few issues here, and for everyone who wants to punish those who have been caught or those who were honest and admitted their use, I say hogwash - Those who were not caught are still out there and may never be caught.

Just like punishing Roger Maris is 1961 for getting to play some extra games as society did back then, or those who felt Hank Aaron's skin color didn't make his record just - This era was bad for baseball, but move on and stop worrying about it. The records will stand, and some people will complain about it but life will go on and unless Major League Baseball punishes themselves for allowing this era to continue for years after the found out about the abuses, then nothing will happen.

I asked The Chicago White Sox to refund me for tickets from 1994 when they canceled the season. My argument was that even though I went to the games in 1994, since there was no post season there was no reason I should have wasted my time going to games when the promise of playing for the chance to play in the post season was taken from me.

They told me sorry, have a nice day.

This is how we should look at the Steroid era of baseball. Move on, enjoy the games or find a better sport to watch (hockey?). Complaining about it every time someone hits a milestone is just old now. The whole sport was using these drugs for a 15-20 year period. Everyone knew it was going on from the fans to upper management to the US Government. No one did anything about it until they realized these drugs have bad long term effects.

If they were healthy to use, athletes would still be using them today and they would be legalized.

Go figure!
    Just because you "feel" something doesn't mean that is what a writer implied. Take the people at what they say, period. Be like Fnazxc0114 and if you don't know what was implied than ask. Perhaps I'm missing something here, but I think you are adding "intent/hate" to people's comments, and that is just flat out wrong! Is that a correct statement?

This has become a very bizarre rant. I'm checking out of it. Bizarre and crazy indeed.