Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Washing a game used jersey

I had always liked the dirt and other stuffs on game used jerseys until I read this thread. I never liked the smell of some them though.
    You guys make some very good arguments for washing them.

I don't know... maybe it's me but I'm sensing a little paranoia with regards to the long term effects of dirt / sweat / grass stains on fabric. Can anyone provide proof that leaving a GU jersey in-tact, with all staining etc, will ruin a jersey? Or is this just a theory? Bacteria and the like general flourish with moisture and exposure to various catalysts - if your jersey is dry and hanging in a controlled environment (I put mine in shadowboxes), I would assume the chance of further growth is minimal / deterioration. Just a thought.

Someone asked why equipment managers wear gloves when handling fresh GU equipment? It's because the players general spit, sweat, blow snots, and bleed all over the place during games, so it's a precautionary measure for the staff against getting sick, or having a disease transmitted.

I own a couple of GU jerseys, one is covered in stains and is beaten up, while it hangs next to one that was washed. In all honesty, the washed jersey just doesn't hold a candle to the beaten, stained jersey. Just my opinion.

To add on, I too, have NEVER put a jersey in the dryer.

I have always washed with Woolite, cold water only, hang dry.

Spencer has been the only GU jersey I've washed, though... almost only retail authentics have been done.

I can send photos of the black mold that ate my tent.

Quote Originally Posted by gkdannecker@yahoo.com View Post
    I can send photos of the black mold that ate my tent.
    Tents are usually put up wet. And since they are not usually allowed to dry out later I can see mold being a problem with them.

As a former Boy Scout who worked his way up to Eagle, I can say that you never put a tent up wet unless you have to, but then when you get home you hang it out to dry to keep it from molding and to make sure it is clean before putting back into storage. A jersey hanging up in someone's house in a temp controlled environment will not mold if it stays dry and the humidity doesn't stay too high in the house. If there ever is mold on a jersey, then I would probably just wash that area by hand. I have never seen a jersey with mold on it, but then again I have not seen every jersey. As for bacteria, I would probably just spray it lightly with one of those germ killing aerosol sprays if I was really worried about it, and I would have to ask my friend who is a physician, but I think when blood dries over time you do not have to worry about contracting anything, but I could be wrong.

I was never a boy scout and I have put up many tents wet. Mostly because it was raining at the time or because of the morning dew.
    I usually unrolled them and allowed them to dry later at home, but not always.

"As for bacteria, I would probably just spray it lightly with one of those germ killing aerosol sprays if I was really worried about it,..."

Good idea! Such a simple yet ingenious solution.

threads like this are why the elder collectors no longer participate on this forum....anybody can take a game used clean jersey and grime it up if you want to pay more for it...anybody who puts a filthy jersey in their closet is not a collector he is a ....... Fill in the blank...

I have noticed one thing about his forum.
    Some here are so intolerant of anyone else or their ideas that communist China must look like a utopia to their feeble little minds.