Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Cal Ripken 83 Alternate Jersey and 86 Road Pants

Well Brett,

Based upon the Q&A section of this listing, the shear implications the seller was going to pull the auction has prompted some bidding. Looks lilke its over $5k.................just can't quite come to grips as to whether that jersey is legit.
    :eek: "Shows solid identifier puckering" :eek: --Lou Lampson

Dan (ripkengamers@aol.com)

Quote Originally Posted by ripkengamers View Post
    Well Brett,

Based upon the Q&A section of this listing, the shear implications the seller was going to pull the auction has prompted some bidding. Looks lilke its over $5k.................just can't quite come to grips as to whether that jersey is legit.
    Did you all see a question that was supposedly from Troy Kinunen???

Q: Greetings. I have reviewed your jersey and based on the preliminaries, tagging, nob, size, style, etc, it appears you have an authentic jersey. I read you may close the auction. I want you to know I am planning on placing a bid on the final day. If you end the auction early, please give me a chance to meet or beat any offer. Troy R. Kinunen Feb-22-07

A: Im not shure to let the aution RUN my reason !! Is the jersey is worth my price alone!! If there is no bidding 24h befroe end i will close it!!

This seller (in my jaundiced mind, anyway) does herself no good by coming across as a) barely literate and b) a complete and utter knucklehead.
    How on earth can you take a chance on buying something ONLINE from someone who apparently doesn't know which way is up? Especially when the seller won't offer a money-back guarantee?
    Glad I don't have the $5K to burn on this one...

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    please give me a chance to meet or beat any offer. Troy R. Kinunen Feb-22-07
    Bigtime - I agree with you, but Troy is willing to meet or beat any offer so you wouldn't have a chance anyway (lol)!!!

If this is the real deal, this is an amazing jersey coming from Cal's 2nd full season and MVP year.

Just too much uncertainty with this one to risk that kind of money in my opinion.

Andrew

Guess what---the auction was removed by eBay!

This listing (190083974004) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number.
    If the listing was removed by eBay, consider it canceled. Note: Listings that have ended more than 90 days ago will no longer appear on eBay.

Well, at least we know one thing................the seller didn't cancel the listing........ebay must have found something about the listing or seller that prompted intervention!

Oh know......................it's back !!

The rights owner, Ripken Baseball, Inc., notified eBay that this listing violates intellectual property rights. When eBay receives a report of
    this type of violation, we remove the listing to comply with the law.

Seller shows his/her true colors by including names of the inquirers...........looks like Brett and Troy were hung out to dry for the world to see

Looks like the jersey was purchased in '04 from AM.........obviously with a Lampson LOA !

I need a cryptographer to decipher this listing.......what a laugh! I'd be scared to send ANY money let alone $5k plus to someone with this level of intelligence!

Before you criticize my grammer "Oh know" it was intentional

Quote Originally Posted by ripkengamers View Post
    Oh know......................it's back !!

Looks like the jersey was purchased in '04 from AM.........obviously with a Lampson LOA !

I need a cryptographer to decipher this listing.......what a laugh! I'd be scared to send ANY money let alone $5k plus to someone with this level of intelligence!
    The AMI says it is a 2001 TBTC so I wouldn't think these are the same jerseys unless I am missing something......BTW, did you read the latest QUESTION about RATS???

Guys,
    My opinion is that this jersey is definitely NOT a Ripken gamer from 1983. I've also been told that the O's didn't wear orange in 1983, however, I own an orange Leo Hernandez O's jersey from 1983. The tagging on the alleged "Ripken jersey" is identical to my jersey (WIlson tag and year/set marking). HOWEVER, THE NAMEPLATE/LETTERING AND NUMBERING ARE ALL WRONG, in my opinion. The problem with the nameplate/lettering, the Orioles always used vertical arch style letters on their orange jerseys during this era - the Ripken nameplate is not vertical arch style. I also believe that the number 8 on the front and the back are too large for this style jersey. The orange Wilson jerseys used numbers that were smaller than those used for their normal home & away jerseys. This jersey appears to be completely "doctored up."

Please note that these observations are purely my opinion (and are based on my experience as a lifelong Orioles fan/collector). I'd hate to see someone get burned on this one.

Rich