Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Kirk Gibson to Auction Off Famous Home Run Bat

Re: Kirk Gibson to Auction Off Famous Home Run Bat

I am curious to see what the Gibson HR bat in particular fetches in this auction....not sure what sort of figure to guess?

Quote Originally Posted by gorilla777 View Post
    I am curious to see what the Gibson HR bat in particular fetches in this auction....not sure what sort of figure to guess?
    Considering the history (greatest WS home run ever?), I would not be surprised if it hits 6 figures. Who knows?
    looking for Phillies GU bats

Just got the catalog today and I can't wait to see what both jerseys go for. A 50k starting bid on the home run jersey should get things off to a good start.

:looking for a body part I can live without:

Nice pieces and it's nice to see him opening up a bit. I remembered watching a recent Dodger/D'Backs game and seeing him go out of his way to sign a Dodger hat for a fan (had to climb up to get the hat/pen and to give them back). This is a far cry from where he was even a year ago. His new position may have something to do with that but whatever the inspiration may be, it's a pleasant sight.

I got the catalog today as well.
    The bat starts at 25k and usually they start at what the auction house thinks is a 25% or lower inherent value figure, so maybe we see 125k or so?
    The helmet he wore, with a starting bid of 5k, is very sharp as well. It has a World Series sticker and nice notation on it from Gibson.
    So maybe 250k with juice for the uniform, helmet and bat?

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Considering the history (greatest WS home run ever?), I would not be surprised if it hits 6 figures. Who knows?
    Gotta dispute the "greatest WS home run ever" idea. Great story, great shot but Game one....can't compare to Maz or Joe Carter's dinges to win their respective series in '60 and '93. As a Toronto boy- I got to go with Joe.
    WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cjw View Post
    Gotta dispute the "greatest WS home run ever" idea. Great story, great shot but Game one....can't compare to Maz or Joe Carter's dinges to win their respective series in '60 and '93. As a Toronto boy- I got to go with Joe.
    Didn't Joe win a game six?

Bill Mazeroski was a game seven.

Funny thing is I think when you consider most memorable home runs, Gibson's is more memorabilia to people than Joe's. The television and the drama of the whole situation made it special to many people.

No disrespect to Joe Carter, his home run is one of the tops but others are more memorable to most people.

Quote Originally Posted by cjw View Post
    which is why I used a question mark .... Maz, Carter, Fisk, and Gibson, among others, are generally at the top of everyones list

To me, Gibson hobbling to home plate using a lighter bat due to his condition and hitting a walkoff shot off the best reliever at the time is waaaaay up there.
    looking for Phillies GU bats

i'm kind of partial to the DJ homerun off Kim in Game 4 WS 2001