Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Re: What's the greatest item you've ever seen for sale/at auction?

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Joel and Steve -

I'll have to look - and I'll scan the pages if I remember it right - but I believe the 'collector' they were referring to in the Smithsonian article is the late Barry Halper. I have the Auction Catalogs from the Halper Collection Auction and if memory serves, I believe Barry actually owned that Maris jersey for a time.

I'll check and get back to you.

- Chris
    Hi Chris,

I did a quick 2-minute pass on the catalog and found photos of vintage Yankee pinstripes but could not locate it. Maybe I just missed it.

Anyways it would not surprise me if many, if not most, of the the early years items from collectors featured in the the book Smithsonian Baseball came from the Barry Halper's Collection. There are so many photos that would pop out at you if you looked at both the Smithsonian Baseball book as belonging formerly to the Halper Collection. Mr. Halper was an amazing collector.

Tell me if you have better luck.

Joel
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    Hi Chris,

I did a quick 2-minute pass on the catalog and found photos of vintage Yankee pinstripes but could not locate it. Maybe I just missed it.

Anyways it would not surprise me if many, if not most, of the the early years items from collectors featured in the the book Smithsonian Baseball came from the Barry Halper's Collection. There are so many photos that would pop out at you if you looked at both the Smithsonian Baseball book as belonging formerly to the Halper Collection. Mr. Halper was an amazing collector.

Tell me if you have better luck.

Joel
    Joel -
    I too just did a quick pass... it's been a few years since I've cracked into those... Anyway, it is quite possible that I'm thinking of the Smithsonian (I have that book too), but I could swear I read somewhere that Halper once owned that jersey...

That said, while scanning the Halper Auction books, I did notice one jersey that blew me away - not even GU!

Apparently Halper owned a Gehrig 'presentation' jersey that was signed by Lou and given to family friends. Upon his death, they returned the jersey to Gehrig's widow who later gave the jersey to Halper. No year stitched in and no patches, so it is not believed to have seen game use, BUT it is the ONLY known Gehrig AUTO jersey in exsistence!

All the best -

Chris

for me personally, I now see a tino Martinez game used 2001 World Series jersey on Ebay. my heavenly grail but ah, just too much

Since the vast majority of Walter Payton jerseys that come up for sale are fakes, I'd have to say that the very few, (and by "very" I mean less than 3), legit Payton jerseys I've seen are the ultimate in this Bears fan's opinion.

A close second (for me anyway) would have to be the three orange alternate jerseys worn by Brian Urlacher that have come up for sale. For modern day Bears collectors they have to be considered "the holy grail". I've been fortunate enough to own two of the three.

I don't think it is the greatest item but I saw and touched the Paul Henderson 1972 Summit Series jersey at last summer's MeiGray show. With the juice, this jersey just sold for: $1.3 million dollars through Classic Auctions.

$1,300,000.00 dollars. For a used shirt. The buyer paid $200,000.00 in Buyers premium alone. In other words, the "honor" of spending a million dollars cost this buyer two hundred thousand dollars. That borders on Usury in my book.

I am a hockey fan. I understand how important the series was to Canada Hockey fans. But when you could purchase 5 to 10 museum worthy grail pieces using the buyers premium alone, that's ridiculous. Do I wish I had that kind of money for a game worn shirt? Of course! But I'd never spend it on any one item. I mean what do you do with a jersey like that? How do you display it? I'd be afraid to look at it, it would wind up in a safe deposit box somewhere in Switzerland. And what fun would owning something you had to store in a box?
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by gingi79 View Post
    I don't think it is the greatest item but I saw and touched the Paul Henderson 1972 Summit Series jersey at last summer's MeiGray show. With the juice, this jersey just sold for: $1.3 million dollars through Classic Auctions.

$1,300,000.00 dollars. For a used shirt. The buyer paid $200,000.00 in Buyers premium alone. In other words, the "honor" of spending a million dollars cost this buyer two hundred thousand dollars. That borders on Usury in my book.

I am a hockey fan. I understand how important the series was to Canada Hockey fans. But when you could purchase 5 to 10 museum worthy grail pieces using the buyers premium alone, that's ridiculous. Do I wish I had that kind of money for a game worn shirt? Of course! But I'd never spend it on any one item. I mean what do you do with a jersey like that? How do you display it? I'd be afraid to look at it, it would wind up in a safe deposit box somewhere in Switzerland. And what fun would owning something you had to store in a box?

Well if he can afford to drop that kind of money, he can probably afford to build a walk-in, climate controlled, safe to store it in.
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Greatest...I don't know....but absolutely very cool.....Bill Belichick's 80 page hand written Defensive play book from the undefeated 2007 season.

Stephen Strasburg 2010 Bowman cards. Hands down.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by CampWest View Post
    Stephen Strasburg 2010 Bowman cards. Hands down.
    Yea me too. I like the fact that they are bright colors! Some are gold, some silver, some red! That has to be expensive! Much better than any game used jersey or anything.
    Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
    flotaboys@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mulligans View Post
    Bill Belichick's 80 page hand written Defensive play book from the undefeated 2007 season.
    Jeff, don't you mean "undefeated regular season"?

Sorry, bro', I just love rubbin' that in!