Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: e-bay deal question

Lets say I have a Mickey Mantle game used bat for sale and I 100% guarantee its authentic. Well, the new owner sends it in to get it authenticated and they say they cannot because it doesnt match up to Mantle's characteristics, but one of his teammates, like Harry Bright.

Now, would you want a authentic Mantle bat used by Harry Bright? I know I wouldnt for the money one would probably drop on it. Because its not a game used Mickey Mantle bat. Just like you had your bat used by that particular player.

Pretty much, you didnt sell the guy the same item you had listed in the auction. Yes, it was an authentic John Doe bat.....I guess. But used by John Doe, well, Taube answered that question for ya. Really, I dont think its that difficult. Like I said, Id be pissed too and would want a refund.

Lots of sellers will guarantee something to be authentic, but that isn't always meaningful. The person issuing the guarantee could have no experience whatsoever in the hobby (and could be just passing along what they were told by a previous seller). If nobody else believes that the item is legitimate, what good is the guarantee. I think authentication by a reputable third party is important and reasonable to expect.

I think we'd need to know EXACTLY what Taube said, but it seems to me that his response was that it was a bat used by Player X, but had some use that looked like it wasn't from Player X. So, it could have been used by both Player X and Player Y... therefore it would be "authentic" because it was used by X. Nobody said it was ONLY used by X. I may have misunderstood what Taube said, but that was my interpretation of it.

Plus, as somebody mentioned earlier, authenticators are often wrong. Think of all the stories you hear about people getting an item autographed in person, right in front of them and then they submit it to be "authenticated" and they say it's not legit. There's variances to everything and an exception to every rule. Especially when you're trying to match up characteristics. If there was a photomatch (one way or the other) then obviously there would be no question.

And, on top of all that, the buyer wrote an email, saying that they got the item and were happy with it. That's really the only thing that matters. No matter what happens after that, it's a moot point.

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by ndevlin View Post
    Lets say I have a Mickey Mantle game used bat for sale and I 100% guarantee its authentic. Well, the new owner sends it in to get it authenticated and they say they cannot because it doesnt match up to Mantle's characteristics, but one of his teammates, like Harry Bright.

Now, would you want a authentic Mantle bat used by Harry Bright? I know I wouldnt for the money one would probably drop on it. Because its not a game used Mickey Mantle bat. Just like you had your bat used by that particular player.

Pretty much, you didnt sell the guy the same item you had listed in the auction. Yes, it was an authentic John Doe bat.....I guess. But used by John Doe, well, Taube answered that question for ya. Really, I dont think its that difficult. Like I said, Id be pissed too and would want a refund.
    Not picking on anything particular here, but if anybody was dumb enough to buy a Mickey Mantle or similar HOF calibre player bat without having it professionally authenticated first then they should probably have their head examined. I have been for instance collecting Ripken game used for 20 plus years but I never put down $3k or more on a Ripken without first running it by a number of people at a minimum. I currently have 11 game used Ripken bats and all but two have been authenticated by MEARS or Taube. One of the other two came directly from a former team employee/clubhouse attendant. Mantle, Musial, DiMaggio etc. are in a totally different league than Ripken price wise etc. Maybe just me, but you have to be nuts to do something like that.
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

[QUOTE=skinsfan0521;149537]I think we'd need to know EXACTLY what Taube said

I agree with this and we'd also need to see the ebay auction item details. I believe the seller changes details to get forum members' approval so evidence of the facts would be necessary before making an opinion that this seller's actions are acceptable and that selling a guaranteed authentic item that fails authentication is an example of good and fair business.

[quote=vonbrandingo;149634]
    Quote Originally Posted by skinsfan0521 View Post
    I think we'd need to know EXACTLY what Taube said

I agree with this and we'd also need to see the ebay auction item details. I believe the seller changes details to get forum members' approval so evidence of the facts would be necessary before making an opinion that this seller's actions are acceptable and that selling a guaranteed authentic item that fails authentication is an example of good and fair business.
    Yep yep! How about a link to the auction so we can see what you're talking about here....

Is the seller/justinlm24 still participating in this thread?
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

I, too, am wondering why this thread was started, considering the original poster seems to have his mind up exactly what he is going to do.

Ken
    earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Seller should probably just give a refund and relist on ebay; if you've actually got names of other buyers why make that buyer contact them? Do the extra step yourself- you're a seller, it's not a big deal...

The timeline (almost a month) seems like the buyer bought it, waited to get it, shipped it to Taube, waited on Taube, then got the news (maybe waited to get the bat back even?). That's not an unfair amount of time for those steps, it's not like he sat on it for 3 months...

Went to leave a follow-up to the neutral feedback I gave justinlm/paytonlm on eBay, and his feedback is now at 71.4%. Perhaps the negative he just received is for the transaction that is the original subject of this thread, but the auction link and buyer's id are unavailable b/c paytonlm's feedback profile is currently private.

Buyers Beware