Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Dealing with GU reps for ASG items

Funny thing here is how people are all mad because they think it isn't fair when they come to a price and someone offers more.

I'm sorry but if you agree via email a price and 5minutes later you are offered $1,000 more or any sizable chunk you are taking that second offer. Anyone callling the first one a contract is pretty funny, it isn't anything. Until you send payment, win the auction, or sign something you have nothing.

That being said HMs way of selling these items is really stupid...and possibly shady. But if you don't like it simply don't buy from them.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsontravis@ymail.com View Post
    Funny thing here is how people are all mad because they think it isn't fair when they come to a price and someone offers more.

I'm sorry but if you agree via email a price and 5minutes later you are offered $1,000 more or any sizable chunk you are taking that second offer. Anyone callling the first one a contract is pretty funny, it isn't anything. Until you send payment, win the auction, or sign something you have nothing.
    Sorry, but I could not do that. If I agree to a deal, then I have to honor that deal, no matter the amount someone offers after the fact. I find it highly unethical not to do so. It's about keeping my word and being fair. But those are my personal ethics, and I would never try to force them on anyone else.

As for the comments and assumptions about contracts, it won't be so funny when the other party is laughing all the way to the bank after being awarded a judgment. I am not going to get into a legal debate other than to say that the concept of "offer and acceptance", which is the basics of contract law, is worth a quick read.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange

That being said HMs way of selling these items is really stupid...and possibly shady. But if you don't like it simply don't buy from them.
    Remind me to never do business with you... You can honestly say that you are comfortable agreeing to a purchase price then retracting that agreed to price and selling to a another buyer who may or may not have offered?

Lets keep in mind that we are not talking about a private seller here either we are talking about a business. So if I go in to Best Buy this Xmas and I'm at the checkout with the last xBox and right before they swipe my card someone from behind says they'll pay more for it then I'm no longer the buyer because I haven't paid for or signed for the item?

Honestly, I have been offered more for a jersey after I had already agreed to a price with another buyer but I still sold to the first accepted offer. It's my reputation on the line and that's worth more than a few hundred bucks. If HM wants to run what seems to be a live auction then they need to be forth coming with how their (meaning MLB's) item's are sold, period.

What's disappointing is- there is no proof there is "another buyer" at whatever price interval.

Their lack of transparency from the beginning is what told me to stand up for myself and move on.

Your taking the word of a worm who has proven on this forum to have a poor business acumen. He's dragged a few buyer AWAY from a sale with his tactics, and I doubt he has a buyer at the 2250 number he offered it to me at.

Heck, I doubt he'll ever make his commission, which is what I believe is driving this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigley2010 View Post
    Remind me to never do business with you... You can honestly say that you are comfortable agreeing to a purchase price then retracting that agreed to price and selling to a another buyer who may or may not have offered?

Lets keep in mind that we are not talking about a private seller here either we are talking about a business. So if I go in to Best Buy this Xmas and I'm at the checkout with the last xBox and right before they swipe my card someone from behind says they'll pay more for it then I'm no longer the buyer because I haven't paid for or signed for the item?

Honestly, I have been offered more for a jersey after I had already agreed to a price with another buyer but I still sold to the first accepted offer. It's my reputation on the line and that's worth more than a few hundred bucks. If HM wants to run what seems to be a live auction then they need to be forth coming with how their (meaning MLB's) item's are sold, period.

I agree that it being a business makes a difference, but I am not really sure how official an email is even from them. I don't think that is really a legal agreement, but I also admit I don't go to law school...feel free to research that.

Unfortunately some of these companies selling GU aren't the most ethical as you would expect out of them. And like I said originally I do agree that they do a garbage job. Their lack of real replies leads me to believe many are getting screwed. But HM doesn't care about us on this forum. We are a tiny spec of the interested buyers market. People are gullible and fall for this "behind the door" live auction. Even if the interest from other parties is real it still sucks people into paying more than they probably would. By making people think they bought it and ripping it out of their hands people will throw more and more just to get it back without thinking. It is an evil unfair tactic.

Maybe you should learn the basics of Contract Law:

http://a4id.org/sites/default/files/...ntract-law.pdf

OFFER and ACCEPTANCE forms a Contract. Plain and Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by G1X View Post
    Sorry, but I could not do that. If I agree to a deal, then I have to honor that deal, no matter the amount someone offers after the fact. I find it highly unethical not to do so. It's about keeping my word and being fair. But those are my personal ethics, and I would never try to force them on anyone else.

As for the comments and assumptions about contracts, it won't be so funny when the other party is laughing all the way to the bank after being awarded a judgment. I am not going to get into a legal debate other than to say that the concept of "offer and acceptance", which is the basics of contract law, is worth a quick read.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    Mark -

+1

I've said it a bunch here, and it's worth saying again, "In this hobby, all you have is your reputation. Once it's tarnished, you'll never get it back again.'

- Smitty

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigley2010 View Post

Again, +1.

Post Re: Dealing with GU reps for ASG items

I'm so glad I saw this post . I really wanted Dellin Betances ASG jersey. So I sent a email. Was qouted a price of $350-500. I thought " ok, seems fair! " now I open my email and they are now qouting $750?! Due to my job, I am barely online . I'm sticking to Steiner and MLB Auctions less drama involved!

Odd, I was quoted 995

Quote Originally Posted by Ray371170 View Post
    I'm so glad I saw this post . I really wanted Dellin Betances ASG jersey. So I sent a email. Was qouted a price of $350-500. I thought " ok, seems fair! " now I open my email and they are now qouting $750?! Due to my job, I am barely online . I'm sticking to Steiner and MLB Auctions less drama involved!