Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Very sad day for my collection

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    Why not? Not everyone can afford a whole jersey, so why not make something that is accessible to the younger demographic? Sorry that your HoJo got the scissors, but now more fans can own portions of his jersey. Look at it this way: one jersey is sacrificed for the gains of many younger collectors who can only afford small swatches of cloth.

-Frik
    These are my thoughts as well. It is a very good way to get others interested in this hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by TNTtoys View Post
    Sorry, but at $200.00 per square inch of cloth, the only people out there getting to enjoy the jersey to its fullest is the Topps Baseball Card Company. You could have the whole jersey for $800.00. Now that you can cut it up into 50 pieces, it's worth $10,000.00. Not bad for an $800.00 investment, huh?
    How many of the "fans" could spare $200.00 for a card these days anyway that aren't able to spring for a full jersey?
    It is not woth $200. Someone would have hit the BIN by now if it was. Topps profits on packs and box sales, not singles anyways. I am sure the other parallels (/25 or whatever since I am not familiar with this set) sold for a lot less than he is even asking. That is what gets people interested. I own a Dave Concepcion jersey card with a big swatch like that I got for $5, but there is no way I could afford his actual jersey. Does that mean I shouldn't be able to own a something used in a game by a should be HOFer and key member of the Big Red Machine? Of course not.

And it does lead others to the hobby. I do question some prices like people dropping tons of money on logos or what not, but even with the recent price spike, $700 (have been around $400 max in the past couple years) could get me the logo shield from a Peyton Manning jersey. Compare that to the actual price of a Peyton Manning gamer. Cutting up some jerseys for cards allows a lot more people to get into a hobby like this. This way, some "richer" Peyton fan gets a truly unique item in the logo while a kid can get a swatch of his favorite QB for like $10 or less. It is a win-win for people like that.

How can you tell whose bat or jersey it really is on the little swatch or bat piece.
    Exactly. I wouldn't be too concerned that legit piece got dumped in the blender. Swatch cards are the perfect place to dump bad jerseys, once it becomes apparent that the complete piece has too many red flags to sell in its original state.

I think an infamous eBay seller (MSNBC shill report) was selling swatches a few years back too. I bet the fabric that was supposedly from a coat of one of the Beatles was real too.

One of the most foolish acts in the hobby is taking the word of someone who is trying to sell you something.

Quote Originally Posted by CUTiger23 View Post
    Cutting up some jerseys for cards allows a lot more people to get into a hobby like this. This way, some "richer" Peyton fan gets a truly unique item in the logo while a kid can get a swatch of his favorite QB for like $10 or less. It is a win-win for people like that.
    If you cut up a jersey of a current star, there are plenty more where they came from. It's not the same story for items of 20-30 years ago (I won't even get into the Babe Ruth era) where cutting up a jersey guarantees that nobody can ever own that jersey again.
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post

One of the most foolish acts in the hobby is taking the word of someone who is trying to sell you something.

Another thing that I remembered about this fiasco - those cards can be doctor to make it more valuable also.

Say you buy dime-a-dozen of the semi-star or even superstars, go out and get one AUTHENTIC JERSEY, cut up the good looking or more desirable piece (MLB LOGO, the tag, multi-color nameplate in the front) ... voila... you have an extreme difficult card to obtain!

It went on the news and they even have experts to show how it is done also - minus the instruction of how to seperate the papers and the ingredients to make sure that the card will not lose it color and so forth!

So again, it was and still is a STUPID idea.

And the thought of sacrified one ... to have thousand an opportunity to enjoy something out of reach..... it is all BS to me!

Quote Originally Posted by chipperhank44 View Post
    I think the one you are referring to is a manufactured patch and not billed as a game used name plate. They are called "by the letter" autographs and the letters are not game worn, just autographed. I believe it spells out "A-L-B-E-R-T" And yes, it is stupid, but it is not game used and not advertised as such.
    Take a look at this thread...
    http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ght=brees+card
    It shows clear examples where tags from jerseys that were never worn by that player have appeared on their "game used swatch" cards. Like a Drew Brees card with a "size 50" flag tag (Brees wore size 46) and a "2003" year tag from a Buffalo Bills player who played for the team for 1 year (2007). It's an enlightening thread to say the least...
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

If you cut up a jersey of a current star, there are plenty more where they came from. It's not the same story for items of 20-30 years ago (I won't even get into the Babe Ruth era) where cutting up a jersey guarantees that nobody can ever own that jersey again.
    That may be so, but that should not mean a former player should be off limits. I cannot afford a Joe Namath gamer, but I can afford a jersey card of him. There are lots of people who will want something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees.stub View Post
    Another thing that I remembered about this fiasco - those cards can be doctor to make it more valuable also.

Say you buy dime-a-dozen of the semi-star or even superstars, go out and get one AUTHENTIC JERSEY, cut up the good looking or more desirable piece (MLB LOGO, the tag, multi-color nameplate in the front) ... voila... you have an extreme difficult card to obtain!

It went on the news and they even have experts to show how it is done also - minus the instruction of how to seperate the papers and the ingredients to make sure that the card will not lose it color and so forth!

So again, it was and still is a STUPID idea.

And the thought of sacrified one ... to have thousand an opportunity to enjoy something out of reach..... it is all BS to me!
    Patch faking has been an issue. However, counterfeiting is an issue in this part of the hobby as well. People who know what to look for can easily (for the most part) spot a fake and stay away. You have to know what you are looking for.

It shows clear examples where tags from jerseys that were never worn by that player have appeared on their "game used swatch" cards. Like a Drew Brees card with a "size 50" flag tag (Brees wore size 46) and a "2003" year tag from a Buffalo Bills player who played for the team for 1 year (2007). It's an enlightening thread to say the least...
    I have a certified jersey of Tye Hill (by Jim Yackel and Prova group) that is tagged 05,even though he was not a rookie until 06 and it has the Georgia Fontenierre (sp?) patch on it which is from the 2008 season. That is similar to the Edwards one.

Players wear different sizes as well. The Brees ones could be from Chargers jersey which might fit differently. While quickly looking at JO Sports Co. He has sized 42 and 44 Adrian Peterson jerseys that were also tagged 08 but worn this season.

Explain this card. The jersey style in the card was not worn until 1978. Santo's last season with the Cubs was 1973.

Could it be that the card/jersey this thread was started with was actually worn by someone other than Hojo? I wouldn't give up hope yet TNT.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    SCOTT
    scottjrepking at gmail.com

Always looking for game used bats from Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, Jody Davis, Shawon Dunston, Jerome Walton, Rick Sutcliffe, and Greg Maddux. Preferably CUBS era bats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

Here are some of the cards I wish I dont own.

Spent decent amount $ for them.

Would not even care less for what they worth now. Nothing but a guilty conscience for helping the card company detroy these irreplacable object.

PS. NO I am not giving them away either, so dont ask!

Attached Images Attached Images     

Am I the only one who thinks this is an excellent example of collectors disagreeing yet showing respect for peoples varying opinions? Very commendable considering the recent past issues with that very issue.

On another game worn site, a great idea was raised which solves some of these issues.

1) It's time to stop hacking up jerseys, bats, etc for cards especially for items that are rare and valuable aspects of our pastime's history. People flip out about finding out people wear them, I can't imagine find out some $8 an hour schmuck cutting them up isn't boiling people's blood.

2) Top hockey/baseball/basketball/football/soccer/jai lai/handball/golf/pro nosepicker players should wear a jersey for one period in the Preseason and that should be used to cut up into cards. Ditto sticks, helmets, socks, jocks etc. It's game worn. It would be cheaper. Gets the kids involved. Everyone can own a piece of their idol. TADA! we all win.

3) I am suspect of all the top autographs in this hobby. That goes for UDA, anything with a COA/LOA etc. Unless I saw Michael Jordan or Mickey Mantle sign it, I am suspect of it. Using that logic, how can I not be suspect of the "game used" cards? My dad was very fond of asking "How do you KNOW it's real?"

4) George Carlin once asked "If their are people in this world so adept at forging famous works of art so much so as to fool experts, then why are the originals so valuable?"

5) The greatest swatch card I have ever seen had a part of a MeiGray registration tag. The one and only time I was positive it was really game worn. I find great irony that the only part of the shirt I know was worn is the part you never see the player wear.
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

I skimmed through the thread real quick..Current jerseys yes cut them up put them in the card nice they are a dime a dozen. Why not give the whole jersey away.Hell this HoJo is 1/1 right put a winner card of this item where you get the whole jersey if you pull the card. I am a big fan of Joel Youngblood and Doug Flynn. My favorite style is from 79-82...At best there are 10 home jerseys and road jerseys for both. I own Youngbloods 78 road and Flynn's 80 road. saw a 78 Flynn on Hunts completed auctions and I know of 2 home Youngbloods and he owns 1 himself. With vintage jerseys they were sent to the minors and who knows what happened after that. To me as a collector if I saw a card with a jersey for Flynn or Youngblood that would disappoint me. I am with TNT on this.

When I collected cards back in the 80's I got a rush from getting my favorite player or a Mets player..If you are a kid save your allowance..Look at Kyle he started young and he has a sweet collection.I am sure he has mo regrets at starting little..Hell he scored a Mets broken World Series bat for cheap...
    Looking for Doug Flynn and Joel Youngblood items.NY Mets jerseys 78-82

Thanks Scott dcrules01@msn.com