Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Re: Don Mattingly's disgrace

I think the real question is why YOU aren't in the running to replace Mattingly. Sounds like you'd have made every correct move in every game.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaimOnYou View Post
    Sportskansascity,

Your comments are very welcome and I appreciate them.

I understand where you're coming from, and to a point I totally agree that a team should have a strong leader ON THE TEAM. But who would that be if there isn't a clear cut player stepping forward in a group of superstars?

The manager. After all, isn't he the one in charge? He needs to step up and motivate. If there is nothing to "motivation", then why all these great scenes in sports movies? Why was Jim Belushi's speech in "Animal House" so popular? Why are there all these people making a living as motivational speakers? Chris Farley's "motivational speaker" on Saturday night live stands as one of their all-time best skit themes. Motivation is important, even to guys who shouldn't need any. If done properly (see "Tommy Lasorda"), it can bond a group of egos together for a common goal.

I was thinking about this very subject earlier in the season, and the two obvious choices (besides Kershaw) to me would have been Matt Kemp or Adrian Gonzales. I gave the nod to the ladder because Kemp still had something to prove coming off two seasons of devastating injuries.

I actually felt the Dodgers NEEDED to name a captain for the very reason you mention. The team NEEDED a leader, and for me Adrian was the logical choice. He is bi-lingual, the teams 3rd of 4th (or 5th) hitter (depending on Mattingly's menstrual cycle) and was the RBI leader of the team (and ultimately as it turned out, MLB).

But it didn't happen. And guess who I blame for that?

I mean, does ANYTHING that should happen ever materialize on this ballclub? DOH!

NOPE. Instead, we get THIS:
    I completely disagree that MLB players need a manager to motivate them. I'm not a big Lasorda fan as I believe his "motivation" was fake. Motivation is great for high school and college athletes, but these are grown men (many with families) who have to do well in order to provide for their families and continue their career. I have no clue what you do for a living, but I'm sure your boss doesn't have to get you fired up to go out and do what you do. You have bills to pay and that is your motivation. It is the players job to be a leader in clubhouse and on field. You shouldn't have to name a captain in order for someone to be a leader. Did Larussa motivate? Weaver? (Besides him getting ejected lol), torre, cox? NO! They had leaders and you don't need a "C" on your chest in order to lead people. Talent only gets you so far (as evident of Torre's time in LA). Yes they have more talent now than ever but they need a couple of veterans from within to Step-up and take the team to the next level. I'm sorry but the same will continue to happen regardless of manager if no leadership is shown. Clayton Kershaw is an unbelievable leader but you have to have multiple guys step up who everyone respects and trusts.

PS: I have no clue what an SNL skit has to do with the Dodgers lmao!

Quote Originally Posted by Sportskansascity View Post
    I completely disagree that MLB players need a manager to motivate them.
    I think I disagree. There are good managers and bad managers, and the good ones get the most out of their players.

A lot of Twins players, for instance, give Billy Martin credit for motivating them. Zoilo Versalles, forn instance, was moody and had problems with manager Sam Mele in spring training, 1965, but Martin, a coach, worked with Zoilo (especially his head) and he had a MVP season. As manager, Martin got the most out of Rod Carew in 1969, teaching him how to steal home, which he did 7 times, and created stress on the defense every time he got to third base.

In theory, players at the major league level are already properly motivated, but there are a lot of guys who are moody, temperamental, insecure, lack confidence or have too much confidence, and the good managers know how to get the most out of each player. Ballplayers are professionals but not machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
    I think I disagree. There are good managers and bad managers, and the good ones get the most out of their players.

A lot of Twins players, for instance, give Billy Martin credit for motivating them. Zoilo Versalles, forn instance, was moody and had problems with manager Sam Mele in spring training, 1965, but Martin, a coach, worked with Zoilo (especially his head) and he had a MVP season. As manager, Martin got the most out of Rod Carew in 1969, teaching him how to steal home, which he did 7 times, and created stress on the defense every time he got to third base.

In theory, players at the major league level are already properly motivated, but there are a lot of guys who are moody, temperamental, insecure, lack confidence or have too much confidence, and the good managers know how to get the most out of each player. Ballplayers are professionals but not machines.
    I agree with your quote about how the role managers can play. I think your version of "motivation" differs from the original authors. He talks about motivational speakers and such and you talk more about learning (in the case of Rod Carew) and helping players get their mind right. The original guy who started the thread makes it sound like it's the managers job to get players fired up and wanting to win. Once again, this is just my opinion so I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, just like in not saying whoever started the thread is right or wrong. Your stories of zoilo and Carew were interesting and I appreciate you sharing them

Banned

Congrats to the San Francisco Giants and their fine manager, future Hall of Famer Bruce Bochy, for winning their third World Series championship in 5 years. And they did it this year as a WILD CARD team. I believe even his son will get a ring. How exciting for the Bochy family.

I hope this sticks deep in the craw of Dodger brass. This was our year to win, our championship to lose. And that's exactly what Mattingly did.

I think the thing that will stick out most in my memory of this World Series is the sense of urgency shown by each manager when their pitchers started to falter. Almost without exception, when a pitcher on either team either gave up two hits in a row or walked one batter, the manager, catcher, or pitching coach was making a trip to the mound. Talking. Showing concern. MANAGING the situation. Two winning organizations with sound, solid managers.

And then there's that BumGODner guy. His name's not just stuck up there with Christy Mathewson. It's above it. Three wins in one world series. Yeah, you see that often. Dominance.

This San Francisco team can now be called a dynasty. They earned it.

Banned

Coxfan just posted on another thread that Bumgarner was credited by the media incorrectly as being the game three winner. Affeldt was the pitcher of record when the game winning RBI scored.

Bum gets the save. I guess it just seemed like a win because he pitched in 5 innings, the majority of the game. That was one hell of a save.

Banned

Wow, the Cubs just fired Rick Renteria. I guess Joe Maddon is going to join the Cubs organization.

Simply horrible news for the Dodgers, IMO. They had a chance to become a championship organization again, and blew it.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...or-joe-maddon/

Wow, the Cubs just fired Rick Renteria. I guess Joe Maddon is going to join the Cubs organization.

Simply horrible news for the Dodgers, IMO. They had a chance to become a championship organization again, and blew it.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...or-joe-maddon/
    I've got a Don Mattingly 8x10 photo for sale, if interested...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
    I've got a Don Mattingly 8x10 photo for sale, if interested...
    OK.....how much?

I've got just the place to hang it......
    Attached Images Attached Images  

OK.....how much?

I've got just the place to hang it......
    LOL!