Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: The obsession with COAs

Sad to say, but the proliferation of COAs and authenticators (bad and good) has helped create a whole generation of lazy, uninformed collectors who seem to believe that an item magically becomes 'real' when it comes with one.

I don't collect G-U items, more into vintage signatures, sports and historical, but I see the same kind of nonsense going on in the autograph world. I'm always seeing phrases like 'My Personal COA,' as if I should give a whit what they have to say.

I also don't care for some people's overreliance on the PSA 'Quick Opinion,' which, as the name implies, is just that. I suppose it could deal with some fakes, but I sure as heck wouldn't make it into a deciding factor as to whether or not to buy the item. If I'm that unsure, I'm not likely to touch it to begin with! Don't have much use for the service myself, but to each his own, I suppose...

I do get quite a kick out of the moronic, cheesy-sounding company names that ebayers come up with for their COA's; 'Super-Duper Authentic Worldwide Memorabilia' or the like. Sometimes, I've had half a mind to catalogue these silly companies (many of which don't even exist, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by jake33 View Post
    You wouldn't buy a car without doing SOME homework of your own. Image a car dealer just giving a coa with a car stating that it is "genuinely a vehicle" and have that be all the work you do.
    I agree 100%. Not only is it necessary to do your homework, but it is also fun (to me anyway).

The only problem I've found, though, is since many jerseys are sold at auction, it often times it takes longer to do the homework than the auction lasts. Perhaps that is just for some of the odd stuff (i.e. minor league jerseys) that I like to collect.
    "We need rebirth of the American tradition of leadership ... in private life as well." "'Trust me' government asks that we concentrate our hopes and dreams on one man; that we trust him to do what's best for us. My view of government places trust not in one person or one party, but in those values that transcend persons and parties. The trust is where it belongs--in the people." - Ronald Reagan"

http://www.freewebs.com/chrishwish/

I like it when the Seller says, "if you spend over x amount" a COA will be included. How about the guys no-one heard of that say "I`m the President of the Company" I guess I`m a CEO AND a President. who`d a thunk it?

I agree, it DOES, or MAY Create Lazy collectors...Kinda like a "100 percent Guarantee" on a really Crappy Product! Who wants it, if it`s not good product, well....Lazy Collectots might,LOL.

I save `em too, guess people want them?
    Sean

Just to Clarify...
    Not intending to Bash anyone, ANY CEO, or President. I just seem to find the Humor in things sometimes. I DO think the COA in general, is, or are Over-rated.
    How about the COA without an address, phone number, or any contact info!

Anyone know where I can download a Generic COA, for the next Item I list. Just Kidding,
    Sean

Anyone who is willing to fake an autograph or game used item will have no problem faking a COA. When issued by Jo Blow they really are useless and people don't realize the can print one up just as easy and it will mean the same thing. They will eventually push many people out of the hobby who are not a big reputable company. You can get somehing signed yourself inperson and it means more to get Psa/gai who did not see it signed say it was real. On the other hand if you see something signed by Tom Brady not TRistar you can almost guarantee its fake. So helpful in some cases.