Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: My first Manny Ramirez game-used glove!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gameused View Post
    Michael,

I was offered this exact glove in 2009 and I can prove it's not legit and has been altered since I have seen it. It's not from the sale where Phil went to Manny's apartment, did Phil tell you that?

Bobby
    Please email me to discuss - michael_benko@yahoo.com

Thanks Bobby.

Michael

Michael,

I was offered this exact glove in 2009 and I can prove it's not legit and has been altered since I have seen it. It's not from the sale where Phil went to Manny's apartment, did Phil tell you that?

Bobby
    Can I add an UH-OH. Mike, I hope it works out. You definitely style matched it to the Getty photos.

Please report back after you talk to Bobby!
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Michael,

Bobby
    I made a mistake in my initial description linking it to that sale. I just saw Phil had a tie to it and made my own conclusion. But it does still have Sportsworld tied to it and I've been told has never been offered to anyone after the original owner got it straight from Phil. It took me months and months to even get pictures of it so it's hard to believe it was out being shopped around. Interested to hear what you have to say!

Quote Originally Posted by nationals2k9 View Post
    I made a mistake in my initial description linking it to that sale. I just saw Phil had a tie to it and made my own conclusion. But it does still have Sportsworld tied to it and I've been told has never been offered to anyone after the original owner got it straight from Phil. It took me months and months to even get pictures of it so it's hard to believe it was out being shopped around. Interested to hear what you have to say!
    Mike you have definitely gone the extra mile even including calls to Rawlings. The Manny Ramirez red embroidery looks good and even the placement where the "M" in Manny is next to that crease.

I know you are saying a "style match" and not claiming a photo match which I think is a good call.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by nationals2k9 View Post
    interested in hearing about this also
    Always buying David Justice items

In my eyes that is not style match, look at the piping above the Rawlings logo. The one on Manny is brown, while the one without Manny is black (At least that's what the picture looks like).

Quote Originally Posted by LastingsMilledge85 View Post
    In my eyes that is not style match, look at the piping above the Rawlings logo. The one on Manny is brown, while the one without Manny is black (At least that's what the picture looks like).

Exactly... the STYLE of the gloves is very similar but it's not an identical match (Photomatch). There are just 2 pictures of Manny wearing this style glove in 2003 that come before Oct (playoffs) meaning over 150+ reg season games, ST games, workouts, etc without anything to go from.

Two things concern me... The lace on the middle web off the index finger. The Getty picture the brown lace is on the "fingers" side of the white seam line, but in the acquired glove its on the thumb side of the white seam line.

Also the getty glove has a brown trim edge on the hand vent hole whereas the acquired glove appears to have black trim edge.

And maybe a non-issue but the thumb laces look longer in the getty image, but of course the difference could be another knot tied since that picture was taken.

I know you are not calling it a photo match, but I think it raises a question and disproves it as a photomatch, unless there is something else I cannot see.
    Does it still qualify as a style match with those differences?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Michael,

Bobby
    Bobby, you're killing me with the wait!

Please email me michael_benko@yahoo.com or post for all of us on here what evidence you have. I'm fielding lots of calls and emails from people that want to know and most importantly in this case I need to know. We've essentially retraced the glove back to Manny and it's only been with one owner after Phil and never offered for sale to anyone. Apparently it was still in the original bag up until last week when the photos were done. Even Phil has been reached for comment. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by CampWest View Post

Two things concern me... The lace on the middle web off the index finger. The Getty picture the brown lace is on the "fingers" side of the white seam line, but in the acquired glove its on the thumb side of the white seam line.

Also the getty glove has a brown trim edge on the hand vent hole whereas the acquired glove appears to have black trim edge.

And maybe a non-issue but the thumb laces look longer in the getty image, but of course the difference could be another knot tied since that picture was taken.

I know you are not calling it a photo match, but I think it raises a question and disproves it as a photomatch, unless there is something else I cannot see.
    Does it still qualify as a style match with those differences?
    Sure it's a style match... and a pretty good one for a 2003 glove. That was never the issue and you're correct when you say I never claimed it to be an exact photomatch. The "issue" here, and the only thing I've ever been concerned with, is that a well-known Manny collector from these boards said it's not legit, was doctored, has evidence, and was offered the same glove last year.

Do we really think Rawlings cranks out identical player-quality gloves time after time without even minor alterations? Someone actually sits down and hand crafts these. Maybe they didn't have brown piping around when the glove in question was made so they went with black. Maybe it was repaired or replaced post-use. To me, it's the same as the fact that no two bats are the same, or that ball marks and other mysterious markings may show up after photos were taken. I think it's a pretty major accusation to question Sportsworld and the small number of collectors that have seen this piece in the last several years without some pretty hard conclusive evidence.