Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

All-Star Dealers reality show

Would love to hear your thoughts on this new show and how it will reflect on our hobby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoOlM...feature=relmfu

Re: All-Star Dealers reality show

I watched the videos earlier and it really turned me off on Grey Flannel. Customers are sending stuff in for THEIR auction and they are calling the customer's stuff crap?

I understand some things may get their juices flowing more - the football jerseys for example - but that's no excuse for them demeaning other items... those people are still THEIR customer's. On top of that, they appeared to kind of 'man-handle' the items as well.

Anyone else's thoughts? How would you feel if you saw something you send in getting treated that way and them talking about it like that. It wouldn't give me much confidence that they would work too hard to get top dollar for my item.

Just my .02

- Smitty

Banned

Turns me off a bit, too. First, they are going to overblow price as most shows do but the attitude they present is just not for me. I won't watch the show but if a Michigan State alum jersey comes up, am sure I will still bid.
    Jason Perlman
    jperlman@ohaflcio.org

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    I watched the videos earlier and it really turned me off on Grey Flannel. Customers are sending stuff in for THEIR auction and they are calling the customer's stuff crap?

I understand some things may get their juices flowing more - the football jerseys for example - but that's no excuse for them demeaning other items... those people are still THEIR customer's. On top of that, they appeared to kind of 'man-handle' the items as well.

Anyone else's thoughts? How would you feel if you saw something you send in getting treated that way and them talking about it like that. It wouldn't give me much confidence that they would work too hard to get top dollar for my item.

Just my .02

- Smitty
    +1

I wasn't impressed by their promo. For an auction house with so many top items in the past, I thought they would have sounded less pompous and fake. Frankly, I didn't come away feeling they were the experts I thought they were but rather uninformed newbies who were pretending to know what they are talking about.

The Giants helmet comment reeked of self importance. We know in this hobby that a replica helmet won't sell but dismissing it as "crap"? Classy.

The Lott and the Marino passed initial inspection but his excitement was tempered with no actual knowledge, just throw away, off the cuff thoughts that anyone who ever saw a jersey, knew already. As I said, with their reputation, the meatiest thing you say shouldn't be covering your touchas with "if it passes authentication". I hope they discuss the hobby and the saturation of Marino's, most of which are suspect rather than become Antiques Roadshow. I fear this show will be torn apart weekly on this site for inflated price estimates that have no basis in substance, a complete lack of insight into the hobby and questions answered with "It has to pass final authentication"
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

I think its important to take a step back, guys. Those of us on GUU are hopefully less interested in the basics of the difference between game used and replica. But keep in mind that a show's producers aren't trying to appeal to the members of GUU (and, we'll probably watch anyway).

The shows producers are targeting a much wider audience and hearing things called "crap" is perhaps sensationalistic, but it will give the average sports fan a cursory understanding of the GU hobby. More importantly for TV, it will be entertaining.

As for us, the only useful information we'll learn is about the culture of Grey Flannel. But, I for one will enjoy watching it... even with appreciation that it isn't produced with "us" in mind.

IMHO, the show will add to the quantity of people who naturally enter our hobby. While it may have an adverse affect of the pricing for items we want to buy, I am happy that new people are likely to appreciate an awesome hobby if the show stimulates their more serious interest.

Just going off the YT clip, it looks quite a bit like Pawn Stars, Storage Wars, American Restoration, etc. A 'reality' show that is clearly scripted and features terrible acting. And that's not a slam on the casts of any of these shows, it's just they're not actors...and it shows. I'd rather see an unscripted show, with a camera crew just following the staff around.

Assuming the Marino and Lott are legit, is that really how an auction house would get its first look? You just throw 2 HOF jerseys in a box and ship to GFC w/o any heads up or signature confirmation. Hey, lets go check and see if there are any $5000 items in these boxes that have been sitting outside our shop. Jackpot!

I realize all these shows try to create the "look I found a treasure!" moment in every episode and that will appeal to the masses...but the hook knife, seemingly unorganized approach to opening boxes and tossing around of jerseys, surely will make some folks on this board cringe

I will watch every episode and the rerun the next day. These shows are gold. If you don't like them, just watch the scripted bullshit made in Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
    Just going off the YT clip, it looks quite a bit like Pawn Stars, Storage Wars, American Restoration, etc. A 'reality' show that is clearly scripted and features terrible acting. And that's not a slam on the casts of any of these shows, it's just they're not actors...and it shows. I'd rather see an unscripted show, with a camera crew just following the staff around.

Assuming the Marino and Lott are legit, is that really how an auction house would get its first look? You just throw 2 HOF jerseys in a box and ship to GFC w/o any heads up or signature confirmation. Hey, lets go check and see if there are any $5000 items in these boxes that have been sitting outside our shop. Jackpot!

I realize all these shows try to create the "look I found a treasure!" moment in every episode and that will appeal to the masses...but the hook knife, seemingly unorganized approach to opening boxes and tossing around of jerseys, surely will make some folks on this board cringe
    I was thinking the same thing! I wonder how many people will stuff a bunch of stuff into a box and just send it off to Grey Flannel?

While there are alot of GEMS that could be surfaced as a result of the show there are a few problems that I see:

1) People will expect that a signed replica Marino is actually worth $5,000...

2) Unknowing people will be duped into sending these gems into an auction house, only for them to claim the stuff is crap (or maybe even make a lowball offer to "save" them on the return postage).

3) Everyone getting in line behind me for a UPS job in Westhampton, NY ..."what package?"

My thoughts exactly- who sends 2 HOF gamers, unannounced, to Grey Flannel, poorly packed, only to have GF throw them around like dirty underwear?!!!

If I was to send my Lott and Montana gamers to them, they would not be thrown haphazardly into a box with hopes for the best. The show makes them appear flippant and uninterested in the actual piece and only interested in how much they will sell for.

I do understand that GF has a business to run but having an uncaring attitude can turn potential customers off as these items are pieces of history that, for the most part, the owner truly cherished. I know that if I saw my Lott shirt treated like that I would wonder about the rest of their customer service. I would be concerned that they are only out for their best interest and not mine.

So much of the inventory that GF has is junk anyway so maybe this show will give us some insight into where it comes from and how it makes it's way into the auction. I would also love to see their "authentication process"!

Recently there was a Lott gamer on eBay that was listed for 19442$ and it had MEARS paperwork with an A10 grade. I was in contact with the seller and he was so excited that he had a MEARS A10 grade and was less concerned about the shirt itself. He could not understand why I wanted to see more images of the sleeves, repairs, tagging and font when the shirt was graded A10! He went so far as to say that because MEARS stated it was the best Lott gamer in the world that it would set a world record at auction!

He asked what I thought made a shirt "the best"? I told him that a shirt with good use, authentic repairs, an authentic team letter such as the late 80s 49ers letters signed in ink by Bronco and a photo match would constitute a great shirt. To me third party paperwork meant little, as if one does their homework that can be as good or better than any 3rd party evaluation.

Funny thing was that he never wavered from his point of view of "if it has an A10 it must be real". The MEARS evaluation itself looked terrible, hand written, sloppy with no mention of attempts at photo matching. It did mention that the size was not typical for Lott as the shirt was a 46 and he usually wore a 42 or 44. Troy was quite unconvincing explaining this discrepancy. That alone would eliminate this shirt as the "best ever" as a size problem can be a big issue.

The shirt is to be auctioned off at some point and I am quite curious to see what it brings. Maybe it will be on the show!!!!

Always buying 49ers gamers and paying absolutely the best prices for quality shirts!
    Paul
    garciajones@yahoo.com