Four years ago I began to flirt with the idea of collecting game worn jerseys. I'd been a hardcore sports card collector since 1990, but was gradually losing the excitement of getting cards. I loved the concept of jersey cards when they initially arrived in the hobby, but like everyone else, grew tired of them.

Furthermore, it infuriated me to see historical items being cut to shreads.

I was officially tired of having only a tiny piece of memorabilia. I wanted to own the whole piece of sports history. I wanted to own items that were, practically, one of a kind.

My collection contained one game jersey from 1994, worn by former Virginia star point guard Harold Deane that my Aunt had obtained for me. Now, I wanted more.

My only major issue was costs. I saw game jerseys as mostly unattainable items. The costs of many of my favorite players/teams were in the upper hundreds if not thousands. So, I focused my collection on former Virginia Cavaliers and role players from my favorite teams.

In the fours years since then, my game used collection consists of nearly 40 jerseys, half-a-dozen bats, a base and a couple game used helmets. Most do belong to former Virginia players, although I have acquired a few from my favorite pro teams including a huge one from my bucket list, a Brooks Laich Capitals jersey - his first jersey with the alternate captain patch attached.

The excitement of ripping open packs has been completely replaced by chasing jerseys of players who rarely ever pop up on the market.

Now that's my story...what's yours? I'm curious what got other members started. What was your first game used item?