Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 218 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Re: Show Me your NFL stuff

Here's one of my favorites, a 1970's Rawlings Steelers helmet. It's well used, has the paper thin logo which has been sliced and even some orange paint transfer (Browns, Bengals ?). The clips are very brittle too, I'm sure they will break soon .
    Attached Images Attached Images    

drj:

that's a beautiful lid! i'm a sucker for rawlings helmets - especially hnd, ridge and headliner (lambert) modles. i must have over 30 vintage rawlings helmets in my collection, many of which i want to some day refurbish to their glory days - i have about a dozen ridge helmets, about 8 or so hnd non-ridge helmets and about 10 or so headliners. i also have various other rawlings models - just love them!

your looks to be a vintage hnd9, similar to the game used mullins lid pictured below and the steeler hnd9 game helmet which was turned into a lamp that is also pictured. the mullins lid sold for $2k and the lamp went for a steal on ebay a few months ago, $380.

i've also included photos of some of my helmets although, unfortunately, i don't have photos readily available of my better ones...

mullins game used:

authentic vintage steelers hnd9 that was made into a lamp and dressed with incorrect clps and facemask:

a few of my own - a game used colts ridge (facemask doesn't belong to the helmet)...

a game used broncos helmet - this is an hnd9 ridge helmet although it's hard to see the ridge because of the facemask...

a pats helmet....

drj - i forgot to ask if you wouldn't mind adding a few more photos of your helmet including a shot of the inside. also, can you make out the date of your helmet on the back?

btw, looking at the steelers alltime rsoter the following players wore number 28 during the era of your lid (roughly):

ocie austin db, 1970-1971
    alvin maxson rb, 1977-1978

according to the steeler's website, no player wore number 28 from 1972-1976....

DrJ & Aeneas,

You guys been holding out on us, nice helmets. I always liked helmets but did not know enough to buy. I know enough, from talking to players, that most never get out. You guys have cost me some money by putting your knowledge out there and making me think I half way know enough to buy now.

Attached are pictures of the Maynard helmet I got from AMI.

I would like to add a quality St. Louis Cardinal helmet to my collection if anyone knows of one. I saw Larry Wilson's sell a few years ago, that is the one I would like.

jdr3,
    Thanks for the close photo of the Jurgensen tag. I would like to own that jersey.

Roger

DrJ & Aeneas...have either one of you seen this style facemask on this Bradshaw helmet? I have been looking for one for quite sometime....please let me know...you can email me at cjarone@earthlink.net

thanks....

It is a HND9 and is dated December 1975, which means it wouldn't have been used until 1976 at the earliest. I've always assumed that it belonged to Alvin Maxson who wore #28 in 1977-78. I think I got a good deal at $299 (but that was about 10+ years ago). I only owned one ridge helmet over the years (SMU) but sold it, I didn't realize how rare it was at the time. I must admit that I've just learned by trial and error over the years (yes, been burned many a time) - but aeneas is by far the most knowledgable helmet dude I've encountered - I do apprecieate your insight and help.

beantown - I don't know where a mask like that is for sale, but I'll try to keep it in mind if I see one. Unlike aeneas, my helmets are mostly from the 80's to the present day, but I need to pick up some vintage ones to add to my collection.

rkgibson - you can't go wrong with that Maynard, that was a great pickup.

aeneas - here is the inside photo you requested. It's not as shiny white as the photo shows, it's stained from use.

I'd love a great Steeler helmet like that! Back to jerseys...it's been an expensive month but I couldn't resist the chance to pick these up. Many of you likely saw these on an earlier post and they turned up better than advertised. The Falcon logo on the '66-67 jersey is THREE layer tackle twill. Black on white on red. The design is at least a decade ahead of its time. The 1970 black one is pristine, having been worn by a special-teams player whose career stats are one carry for 8 yards. That explains the single solitary team repair on it. I might unload one of the two eventually just to fund some other items (the seller sold these two as a set), but they are a treat to have for sure!

This is the main reason for the expensive month but I never thought I'd see one like it. Tons of repairs and still bright white with original tags, numerals still black, stitching in place, nameplate perfect, sleeves full-length and uncut, from the Super Bowl IX season when they had the "Packer style" 5's on the jerseys. Supposedly stored away by the family all these years and it does look like it came right out of the locker room. Hopefully frees up my other 70s away one for a trade on a home jersey!

This is one of those common players jerseys that typlifies what "game used" is all about. It is one of the first jerseys I bought. I have put it in a couple of auctions, when I thin my collection, but it never meets my reserve. When I get it back I look at it and remember why it is a great jersey.

Dana Stubblefield must have worn this jersey most of the '93 season. It came with a team cert that states it was worn 1/23/94 in the NFC championship game vs the Cowboys. I have photo matched it to the game 11/28/93 vs the Rams also. It is literally hammered all over. It is covered with repairs. It has unrepaired damage. Look at the wear on the sleeve screens. It has neck, tail & sleeve modifications. Look at the repair technique used for rips. This jersey has it all.

The flag date is F (93) U (July).

The '93 jerseys had the Wilson logo is on the front of both sleeves.

Roger

rkgibson -

i followed the maynard auction and, i have to say, imo you purchased one of the most spectacular game used helmets made available in recent memory - i mean that lid is an absolute beauty. even though i have never been a jets fan, i've always had a soft spot for the jets of that era; namath, maynard, snell, boozer... the list goes on. and i've especially had a soft spot for game used jets helmets from that era, the rk and tk suspension helmets.

here's a nice photo i have of maynard that you can download and print out - it would look nice next to your lid!

speaking of steelers helmets earlier, here's another offering from "menace to helmet collecting society" ebayer flipsyr... a no value, older non-pro model maxpro lid with cheap vinyl padding that he's equipped with off the ebay rack reproduction steelers decals. and he's trying to pass it off as as a vintage game used steelers helmet. while it's true that the steelers were known to wear maxpro helmets at one time, it was the maxpro k21 clearshell pro model with leather padding that they sported.

flipsyr's clumsy "game used" knockoff...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EWA:PIC&ih=007

as far as a great looking cardinals helmet is concerned, this one sold on ebay last year for what i consider to be the low price of $295 inclusive of s&h. it was advertised as a game used ken gray lid and looked pretty legit to me including the painted cardinal logo...