Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Bo Jackson 1989 All Star bat(s)

I own Bo Jackson's game used bat from the 1989 All Star game. I have photo and video matched the bat. Would you be so kind as to share the shipping records surrounding his 89 AS game issued bat(s)?

I have seen two other issued Bo NON game used bats from the 1989 All Star game (with the large block LOUISVILLE on the back side of the bat). Were only 3 total produced?

Thanks!

Re: Bo Jackson 1989 All Star bat(s)

Hi--

I do not have Bo Jackson's individual factory records, however in reviewing records of other 1989 All-Stars, it appears that each player received two bats for the 1989 All Star Game from H & B. As you correctly state, the jumbo LOUISVILLE lettering appears on the back of the barrel of authentic pro individual 1989 All Star and post season bats. Unfortunately, the jumbo LOUISVILLE also appears on Bo Jackson B310 and Rickey Henderson T141 bats that H & B sold to Anaconda-Kaye Sports, Inc. that Anaconda-Kaye then offered to the public.

Good Luck in future collecting.

Mike

Thanks so much for the info!

Bo used a model J93 in the game. I'm glad the "fakes" with the large LOUISVILLE lettering are model B310!

This bat is my pride and joy, and it's the one he used to hit the 448 foot moon shot that Bo said he "only got a piece of." He struck the ball with such force that the stitch of the baseball left a deep impression in the wood. NL skipper Tommy Lasorda said: "When the ball hit the bat, it sounded like he hit a golf ball."

The 1989 All Star game was the "Bo show" with Bo hitting a monster homerun, another single, RBI, stealing a base (only the 2nd player in history after Willie Mays to have both a HR and SB in a single All Star game), and making a great outfield catch with 2 NL baserunners in scoring position, to lead the AL to victory. President Reagan was in the booth during Bo's homerun, and this was also the night that Nike's "Bo Knows" advertising campaign began, taking Bo mainstream into pop culture history!

The amazing thing about this hobby is the ability to hold a piece of history in your hand and be a steward to safeguard & preserve this history for future generations. We "own" these items, but we are really just taking care of them for a little while.

Great bat !!!!

I am sure that forum members would like to see a photo posted here if available.

Bo was always one of my favorites regardless of the sport in which he competed (and often dominated.) And you are right about the allure of this hobby -- there is a feeling about literally holding a piece of history that is hard to duplicate.

With the bat collecting hobby specifically, one of my favorite quotes is from baseball writer Hank Hersch, who noted that "Bats are the most vital variable in a sport that relishes constants."

Good Luck in future collecting.

Mike

I can't even imagine the thrill it would be to hold one of the Bambino's hefty sticks of lumber!

For anyone interested, I have one of Bo's J93 bats with the large LOUISVILLE labels for sale. A list of these bats can be seen in the for sale section.

Mark

You must be the guy who bought Bo's unused All Star issued bat from Zane Burns (zanebats on EBAY). I bid on that one to "lock 'em all up" but the price ran away from me!

No, the friend I'm selling these for has had this bat since 1989 or 90.

Mark