Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Ryan Braun NL MVP!!1

All very good points...

BUT,
    when Braun was stepping into the batter's box in pressure-filled situations (ie; 1st division title in 29 years on the line, a surging Cardinals team making a strong push to the finish, sold-out Miller Park, etc.), Kemp had the "advantage" of just the opposite. You could argue his only pressure was coming from his Triple Crown run.

I truly believe (taking an un-biased angle on this one) much merit should go to a player who has to handle those types of things over the other.

How did Braun respond to the pressure?
    By hitting bomb after bomb AND taking home September Player of the Month honors. If that wasn't foreshadowing into the MVP results, I don't know what was.

And that is why it is such a good debate. There is no right or wrong.

Bottom line, and this should not be arguable, it was a 2 horse race.

That said, did you happen to notice that Justin Upton received a first place vote? How is this possible???
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Banned

So let get this straight.
    Braun had the better lineup to help protect him and his numbers and he wind the MVP?
    Kemp didn't have any help and still put up better numbers and he doesn't win the MVP?

Just shows how much these awards really mean.

Quote Originally Posted by TNTtoys View Post
    And that is why it is such a good debate. There is no right or wrong.

Bottom line, and this should not be arguable, it was a 2 horse race.

That said, did you happen to notice that Justin Upton received a first place vote? How is this possible???

I agree 100% on the great debate...and, YES...it was a 2-horse race.
    Regarding Upton: my guess is that the single 1st place vote came from one of the writer's that cover the DBacks. That's the ONLY explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by happyyoungster View Post
    I agree 100% on the great debate...and, YES...it was a 2-horse race.
    Regarding Upton: my guess is that the single 1st place vote came from one of the writer's that cover the DBacks. That's the ONLY explanation.
    Kind of how Michael Young got a vote in the AL. I found that one funny.
    -Randy
    rborrero14 at gmail.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by maverick14 View Post
    Kind of how Michael Young got a vote in the AL. I found that one funny.
    I would have gave the award to Young. I think he does more for his team than any other player in baseball besides Pujols.

I'm not a Brewers fan or Dodgers fan but my vote would have gone to Kemp for all of the reasons mentioned above. Braun had a wonderful season on a wonderful team. Can't take anything away from him...and he doesn't get to vote. But you have to wonder, what would Kemp's numbers have looked like playing in that Park, with the support of the Milwaukee fans and playing with teammates like Fielder, Hart, Morgan, Weeks etc.? Instead, Kemp plays on a team that never competed, an ownership that is so lousy that MLB wanted to take the team away from the owner, terrible fan support and he played under the cloud of that terrible fan beating that took the wind out of LA baseball fans. The performance by Kershaw (at his age) and Kemp was something special and they both deserved the top prize from MLB for their performance. Braun and Kemp will go on to have incredible careers, but you wonder if a mistake was made here. You wonder if MLB (and the press following baseball) voted for Braun over Kemp in a close race because they are pulling hard for Braun to be the next big star. Don't think that is so far removed from the truth. I heard a NL MLB pitcher say today, "Kemp was the most feared batter in the NL this season." Makes you wonder.

Banned

One of the guest (His name escapes me now)on MLB network who has a vote in the MVP balloting said that Kemp had the best season in the major leagues this year. But he voted for Braun.

Kemp should have gotten it

Quote Originally Posted by freddiefreeman5 View Post
    I would have gave the award to Young. I think he does more for his team than any other player in baseball besides Pujols.
    Young is a great player but I could never justify voting for him as MVP over the likes of Ellsbury, Granderson, Cabrera, Bautista this year. I don't mention Verlander just b/c I don't think pitchers should be in MVP if they have their own award already, but that's a whole different topic .
    -Randy
    rborrero14 at gmail.com